Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Chevy S-10 SS edition?

Old 12-13-2005, 08:12 AM
Ghost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF
Default Chevy S-10 SS edition?

Does anyone remember these? I remember a fellow in high school had one in Apple Red that I loved to death (back then, it was a brand new truck). Imagine the "Xtreme" package on today's S-10, but put a slightly beefy 4.3L Vortech in it. It wasn't crazy fast, but they were unique and looked real decent, IMHO. I think it has potential to be somehting kinda fun and different.

So anyone remember them or ever see one done up right?
INFO taken from here.
0-60: 8.7
Standing quarter-mile: 16.1@82.03
horsepower: 195@4500
torque: 260@3600

Production numbers
1994: 5,670
1995: 1,619
1996: 1,240
1997: 1,459

Old 12-13-2005, 08:14 AM
i got 5 on it

themacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Chevy S-10 SS edition?

Originally Posted by MerF
Imagine the "Xtreme" package on today's S-10, but put a slightly beefy 4.3L Vortech in it.
Xtreme's had a choice of the standard 4 or the Vortech, unless there are a number of swapped Xtreme's around here.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:19 AM
Ghost

Originally Posted by spic
Xtreme's had a choice of the standard 4 or the Vortech, unless there are a number of swapped Xtreme's around here.
Ahh, I dind't realize that. Every Xtreme I had run across only had the 4-banger. So it's porbably a lower production option? Maybe factory ordered only V-6?

I'm still pretty sure the Xtreme has a lot greater production numbers than the SS, though. Making the SS at least a bit better in some respect.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:22 AM
Ghost

Damn, here's one on eBay in Glen Burnie, MD...but it looks a bit shady. Gonna put a word out on dMD and se if anyone knows of the dealership.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12-13-2005, 08:22 AM
throwbAcura

dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22

Vortec. No H

I remember the SS. I always thought it'd be cool to have a black one with Grand Sport wheels and a nice drop.

My brother had a Sonoma with the 4.3 Vortec and it got up to speed pretty well.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:28 AM
thermal efficiency

J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS

there are a few options out there that could make it faster than most... with a cam/heads/FI/stall you would probably see 13s/12s.

something that might be more worthwhile is hooking one up with a st/ty engine and built 4L60E... then you could have some fun.

i definitely thought they were nice looking and would be good DDs.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:34 AM
GLHF

WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo

remember the old 454 ss? i used to want one of those. around 460 or so torque? and 240 hp?
Old 12-13-2005, 08:52 AM
Ghost

Originally Posted by Rally Red 98
something that might be more worthwhile is hooking one up with a st/ty engine and built 4L60E... then you could have some fun.

i definitely thought they were nice looking and would be good DDs.
The SyTy engine is literally a run-o-the-mill Vortec 4.3L with a turbo slapped on it! So yeah, if I could get my hands on the IC piping and manifold...oh who the hell am I kidding, I wouldnt' endeavor another project like that, this would be a DD...MAYBE I would consider spraying a little shot on top of bolt-ons and throwing on some DRs and see if I could get in the 14's...but that's about it.
Originally Posted by wutupyo
remember the old 454 ss? i used to want one of those. around 460 or so torque? and 240 hp?
Oh hell yeah! I still see one time and again. Honestly, if I wanted a truck of that caliber, I would try to find a first gen Lightning...much better truck for the money.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:53 AM
Ghost

Originally Posted by dave22
Vortec. No H
Oh bloody hell, what the fuck was I thinking. Thanks for the fix.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:21 AM
thermal efficiency

J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS

Originally Posted by MerF
The SyTy engine is literally a run-o-the-mill Vortec 4.3L with a turbo slapped on it! So yeah, if I could get my hands on the IC piping and manifold...oh who the hell am I kidding, I wouldnt' endeavor another project like that, this would be a DD...MAYBE I would consider spraying a little shot on top of bolt-ons and throwing on some DRs and see if I could get in the 14's...but that's about it.
i always wondered about direct compatibility because GM always changes one little thing like valve lock size or something. there is a LOT of work that can be done to Vortec heads and a lot of experienced people to do it, which would help that turbo out.

i know some dudes were talking earlier about how a RWD sy/ty project would be the word, and there you go. something tells me it's been done before, so you might check s10forums.com. a turbo S10 with a stall and suspension work would be nasty.

you would also need the PCM, and i have no doubt that there is an aftermarket that has them.

in high school my car buddy's dad had a black typhoon that was stone stock but still very fast. it sold for $15,000 cash around '99.

Quick Reply: Chevy S-10 SS edition?