Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Chevy Duramax-Cummins or Powerstroke?

Old 06-18-2009, 07:43 AM
Slammedxpert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush
Default Chevy Duramax-Cummins or Powerstroke?

So, I'm in the process of deciding if I should get rid of the S2000 and build a track car or what. If I build a track car, its going to be for the track only. With that being said, I'll be needing a trailer to haul and a truck. If I'm going to get a truck, I only want a turbo charged diesel, in my opinion thats the only way to go!

Now, onto my question. I've heard good things about Duramax, Powerstrokes and cummins. I've also heard bad. I'm only looking for a truck in the 10-16,000 dollar range. Which truck do you recommend and why? I want a dually but it isn't necessary. I just want a bad ass truck
Old 06-18-2009, 07:51 AM
<3

Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate
Default Re: Chevy Duramax-Cummins or Powerstroke?

If you want to spend 10-16 for a truck to pull a trailer then my advice is to get a used Chevy 1500. It's no diesel but it tow's fine.

I paid $10,300 for my 2006 1500 4wd. A newer diesel would of been alot more. Take the money you save and spend it on your track car.

Unless you are getting a enclosed trailer a gas truck will work fine. Also, have you been to the track before?
Old 06-18-2009, 07:53 AM
I <3 My DSM

SPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud of

your not goin to find anything new for that price.....MAYBE a 97 ish at best....the NEW cummins is an AMAZING engine, duramax is owned by izuzu, so youll have an izuzu motor, and powerstrokes are great all around...for the money and year ratio...id go ford...imo..old dodges look like ass, and chavy just plain looks like ass period....
Old 06-18-2009, 07:58 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

if you plan on working the truck, yes, a diesel is the way to go.

towing a car is not working a truck.

unless it will consistently have at least 5klbs behind it on a daily basis, dont waste your time and money.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:04 AM
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

Originally Posted by fc735
if you plan on working the truck, yes, a diesel is the way to go.

towing a car is not working a truck.

unless it will consistently have at least 5klbs behind it on a daily basis, dont waste your time and money.
It's going to more than likely have an enclosed trailer behind it for the track. (I've got a buddy up north that has one and willing to sell it to me for 3k) I'll be using it for other things too, not just towing.

Originally Posted by SPAWN
your not goin to find anything new for that price.....MAYBE a 97 ish at best....the NEW cummins is an AMAZING engine, duramax is owned by izuzu, so youll have an izuzu motor, and powerstrokes are great all around...for the money and year ratio...id go ford...imo..old dodges look like ass, and chavy just plain looks like ass period....
I don't want a new truck, fuck that.

Originally Posted by Axelerate
Unless you are getting a enclosed trailer a gas truck will work fine. Also, have you been to the track before?
I've found 02s and up to 05 for under 16. Six speed powerstrokes and one cummins diesel. I don't want a brand new truck. Yes, I've been to VMP on quite a few occassions.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:10 AM
Carolina Kracker

quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26

for towing, ford hands down. the cummins motor is great but the truck is not, duramax is more like a car with a diesel and bed on the back. they will haul ass but you dont see many pulling loads. the 7.3 powerstroke is proven but the transmissions are not the best, the 6.0 if you get a good one are great. the duramax transmission is great in stock form but if you put a tuner on it you have to keep it mild. the dodge, they have never been know to have good transmissions.

if you would like i can let you drive my 6.0 and maybe work it so you can drive a 7.3. i drove a d-max in stock trim, i like the ford better. i can prolly set it up for you to drive a d max as well. i know people that have purchased the d max for towing only to sell it and buy a ford.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:14 AM
Slammedxpert

Originally Posted by quick26
for towing, ford hands down. the cummins motor is great but the truck is not, duramax is more like a car with a diesel and bed on the back. they will haul ass but you dont see many pulling loads. the 7.3 powerstroke is proven but the transmissions are not the best, the 6.0 if you get a good one are great. the duramax transmission is great in stock form but if you put a tuner on it you have to keep it mild. the dodge, they have never been know to have good transmissions.

if you would like i can let you drive my 6.0 and maybe work it so you can drive a 7.3. i drove a d-max in stock trim, i like the ford better. i can prolly set it up for you to drive a d max as well. i know people that have purchased the d max for towing only to sell it and buy a ford.
Well, where are you located?

and I hate to say it

but Fords been taking my vote. They make good trucks.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:15 AM
Carolina Kracker

quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26

elizabeth city.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:25 AM
GLHF

WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo

When I was looking for a TD, I decided to go with a manual Cummins, for the motor, and to eliminate the transmission issue a good amount. I have an 01 twin turbo 3500 cummins 5 speed for sale if you are interested. The transmission has also been upgraded to handle everything. bad ass truck, to say the very least.

Feel free to PM me if you're interested. I'm Virginia Beach.

Last edited by WutupYo; 06-18-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:40 AM
Carolina Kracker

go read up on powerstroke.org and powerstrokenation.com (i think its.com)

Quick Reply: Chevy Duramax-Cummins or Powerstroke?