Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Catalytic Converter laws

Old 06-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Function > Form

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY
Default Re: Catalytic Converter laws

Originally Posted by SMOKEYBEAR
Two good posts and links.

Generally speaking the lack of a cat will put you at risk for a basic exhaust violation. There are two that are used, one specifically for a gutted exhaust ( straight pipes) and one generically used base on the noise and not being OME equipment. The latter is used most often, and carries the same penalty as any other equipment violation.

Now, the inspection sticker provides another obstacle. The link above has that covered. If you live in NOVA, the lack of a cat will fail the visual emissions inspection.
What if the car is registered in a county that doesn't require emissions?
Old 06-08-2009, 05:25 PM
WHITE TRASH

SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR

It's still part of the exhaust system for the state inspection.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Function > Form

6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY

... state inspection, right... right.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

But thats why they PM you right?

Old 06-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Project P Member

turbofc3s turbofc3s turbofc3s turbofc3s

its illegal to knowingly remove/not have emmisions equipment on vehicles originally supplied with it (i didnt look at that link above but if memory serves me its like cars made post-1976?? HOWEVER, it takes alot to get in trouble for it depending on where you live. forinstance, i know in NoVA you guys have visual and actual emmisions tests, or at least visual, no? but in hampton roads we dont, or at least no inspetor i have ever been to has looked down there except to check for exhaust leaks. however i have been having a friend inspect the car for 3+ years now... also, i dont know if police have the authority or ability to charge you with this. again, for instance, i was recently pulled and ticketed for my exhaust (3" straight through all the way from the turbo with one canister style muffler. no cat, no resonator, no presilencer. i was basically ticketed for its noise level and it non-comformity to OE standards (via the cop) but he never inquired at all about its emmisions control. this has happened before twice to me, but this was the first time it was state police. eother way, i have never been questioned about my emmisions equip. except by other car guys when discussing the vehicle.

basically what im saying is that although the laws are thee, they are hardly ever enforced (at least in my experience and at least in hampton roads)
Old 06-08-2009, 06:48 PM
+RepCarebearCrew

I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!

we had a guy come in with a California civic, with a bad cat, and apparently its ULEV, so the cat for it was super expensive, and he was bitching because it was replaced 6 months earlier at the in cali, and they put a cheap one on it, which is apparently a HUGE fine.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Registered member

Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol

Two good posts and links.

Generally speaking the lack of a cat will put you at risk for a basic exhaust violation. There are two that are used, one specifically for a gutted exhaust ( straight pipes) and one generically used base on the noise and not being OME equipment. The latter is used most often, and carries the same penalty as any other equipment violation.

Now, the inspection sticker provides another obstacle. The link above has that covered. If you live in NOVA, the lack of a cat will fail the visual emissions inspection.
So its a federal law but not a felony??? Just huge fine?
Old 06-08-2009, 09:48 PM
face is vanilla

Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face

right.

anything about not having to have one if the car is over a certain age smokey?
Old 06-08-2009, 09:53 PM
throwbAcura

dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22

Where did anyone get the idea that it was a felony?

It's probably a felony to take your neighbor's off while he's asleep. That's about it.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:05 PM
face is vanilla

Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face

Originally Posted by dave22
Where did anyone get the idea that it was a felony?
will said so

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter laws