Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

carbon-fiber hoods

Old 05-19-2003, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whitetiger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default carbon-fiber hoods

ok i know carbon fiber hoods are better then stock and such, but is there any reason why? just curious and trying to learn, I also need a new hood so I am considering one of these expensive beasts jsut any info would help me out, thanks .

Peace outside!
Stripes
Old 05-19-2003, 09:33 AM
EEK
卐 Walnuts

EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK

they are not better than stock, just lighter
Old 05-19-2003, 09:35 AM
Registered Offender

Mr. Rooney is an unknown quantity at this point

tippie tay on da sunny side.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:09 PM
sup

SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE

lighter and stronger, look really good if you can pull it off (on a show car) if you are all about going fast, you prolly wont see much of a difference in your times, but i think sungs car is prolly one of the best looking that i have seen with a cf hood...

steve-o
Old 05-19-2003, 12:12 PM
God

Rguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Lighter is the only performance reason to have one, unless you are a show car, then you get that extra "bling". The ones that are far lighter are usually less reinforced. Always use hoodpins with these. Fitment is usually never perfect and most have some weave problems if your picky on stuff like that.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:19 PM
Patron

soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion

carbon fiber hoods are for weight savings and the "cool" look.

stronger is usually a subjective thing, as the lightness of carbon fiber hoods also make them prone to lifting (or worse, detaching from the latch and blocking your windshield) at high speeds when air catches the leading edge, which is why hood pins are usually recommended to keep them down.

and like most things.. you get what you pay for.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:24 PM
sup

SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE

damn hood pins, lol, the only way i would lke hood pins, some one said this in a post not too long ago, but if you take the reinforcements off of the hood and put pins at each corner of the hood... sounds like a good idea to me...
Old 05-19-2003, 01:06 PM
Patron

soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion

yeah, 4 hood pins would be more secure than 2, but then the laziness factor kicks in and people figure "hell, the hinge is good enough for the side closest to the windshield"
Old 05-19-2003, 04:10 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Stronger doesn't factor into it, carbon hoods are very weak compared to a steel hood. Carbon may be stronger by weight than steel, but not the way carbon hoods are constructed..
It's all about the looks on a street car, and about weight on a track car.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:34 PM
hostgator.com

flow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these parts

if you get a cF hood.

GET HOOD PINS.

that shit is not fun to drive without them, and Im not going to leave my life in the hands of a half fiberglass, half carbon fiber latch.

Quick Reply: carbon-fiber hoods