Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Car woes, help needed. "Engine cut off at idle"

Old 11-14-2005, 05:28 AM
ScrewD010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mikahl is on a distinguished road
Default Car woes, help needed. "Engine cut off at idle"

This problem started just a week ago, When approaching a stop the rpms will drop suddenly and the engine will cut off.. From what I've experienced the voltage will progressively drop from say 14/15v and gradually fall below 12v. Also the powersteering will die ofcourse, and then after driving after getting started, or if i'm lucky and there's no problem at all, the car will idle at 1,500-2,500 RPM which is crazy, since it usually idles at 700RPM. My radio is ghetto-rigged so that it's always connected to a powersource regardless if there's a key in the ignition.. with that said, my battery might be just dead from the consistent drain from my radio??

From my little knowledge of cars in general, I've always done maintanence(sp) with all fluids, spark plugs... well I haven't changed the spark plug wires\I believe the timing belt needs to be changed soon(~105k) because of the mileage(sp) or the battery is just not charging.

In anycase I'm going to get the battery tested today(I've had a refurbished alternator installed less than 10k miles ago) and install new wires\plugs. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Mikahl; 11-14-2005 at 05:31 AM.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:40 AM
Custom User Title

mnchvgs79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car woes, help needed. "Engine cut off at idle"

I would say, check your throttle position sensor... Find out what the specified range is and test it.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:19 AM
Ultraspeed

NotAVR4 NotAVR4 NotAVR4 NotAVR4 NotAVR4 NotAVR4 NotAVR4

Clean-out your IAC. I had a similar problem. Search www.stealth316.com for the how-to.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:35 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

IACV or TPS sensor. This has nothing to do with your battery. The reason you're seeing your voltage dip is because your engine speed drops. The alternator output is dependant on engine speed, and the regulator doesn't respond immediatly. A big indication of what may be the problem is if the symptoms change depending on whether the engine has warmed up or not. If it's only doing it while cold, it may be as simple as a temp sensor issue.. If it's only doing it when it's warmed up, it could be something different. Keep an eye on all the conditions that make it misbehave, this can eliminate some stuff pretty fast.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:11 AM
ScrewD010

Thanks everyone! I just read they "how-to" (http://www.stealth316.com/2-isc-iac.htm) and I am now going to go clean the IAC, and hopefully that will solve my idling\stalling problem, and no more troubleshooting will be needed. If not I'll let yall know thx again!
Old 11-15-2005, 05:41 PM
Full Access Member

jlgrtype jlgrtype jlgrtype jlgrtype jlgrtype jlgrtype jlgrtype

my friends car did the same thing and it was the alternator. the voltage regulator was not operating properly and it had the same effects. even though it was puting out power, the bridge rectifier in the alternator had a short in it, and was causing the ecu to malfunction. you can go to a part store and have them check it out for free. and after you have tried everything, try the alternator, you can always take it back if it does not fix the problem. but try the easy stuff first.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:41 PM
Full Access Member

jlgrtype jlgrtype jlgrtype jlgrtype jlgrtype jlgrtype jlgrtype

let us know the outcome.

Last edited by jlgrtype; 11-15-2005 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:23 AM
ScrewD010

I cleaned out the IAC and wiped what I could out of throttle body hole that the IAC attaches to. The car's idle is better atleast.. 1,200RPM but I wanted to test if it's fixed so I went WOT and when coming to an idle the rpms plummit, voltage goes down and it stalls. Somone has mentioned to me it might be the BIS screw, and that it might need to be filled with "the right stuff".

Well the plugs inside the IAC that connect to the adapter did have a little rust on them but not a lot. Again everything checked out okay until I drove in higher RPM (4.5k-7k). Thnks for the help so far everyone, the battery&alternator checked out fine though, so that's definitely not the problem.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:25 AM
ScrewD010

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
.. If it's only doing it when it's warmed up, it could be something different. Keep an eye on all the conditions that make it misbehave, this can eliminate some stuff pretty fast.
Ya it only happens when warmed up or driving at high rpms, if that helps eliminate some things.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:10 AM
ScrewD010

Well, I'm not driving the car right now... because the slut stalled out on me at every stop light\stop sign on the way to get the truck, I do have to drive it back to my house so I can attempt to fix it again.. Since the powersteering cuts off when it stalls whilst I'm turning and my cars pointed right towards traffic... so I have to start it it in neutral(the cars automatic) rev it so it doesn't die, slide it back in Drive at the right time so the tranny's not getting hurt to bad and then gas it again while turning... all w/in a span of 1.5 seconds... so now when apporaching a turn I shift it to neutral maintain the rpms around 2k, and then slide back in drive, bla bla...

So way too much wear to keep driving it.. and dangerous since I just leave my hazards on the whole time, and it's a pretty embarassing sight, anyways gonna have the car down until it's fixed. (I didn't even go past 3krpms this time either ) fucking slut car! I'mma recheck the IAC\check for any leaks after the throttle body and that BIS screw. thx again for the suggestions guys

Quick Reply: Car woes, help needed. "Engine cut off at idle"