Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

can tow companies get away with this?

Old 11-26-2008, 02:32 PM
smokin on bob marley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheelspin can only hope to improve
Default can tow companies get away with this?

Last edited by wheelspin; 11-27-2008 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:53 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn
Default Re: can tow companies get away with this?

well in hampton we charge 125 for a police call and 28 dollars a day for storage...if they processed it in maryland and your in va then it may have came back with no record found...call them and offer them cash and see if they will let you have it....cause once it becomes theirs they will just crush it...(thats what i do)..but everyone is difffrent...but if they wont then it goes up everyday...and HONESTLY the cops should have informed you the minute they recovered it of where t was...might want to look into that...
Old 11-26-2008, 03:54 PM
loves quervo

uglyDC2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by nftuatn
well in hampton we charge 125 for a police call and 28 dollars a day for storage...if they processed it in maryland and your in va then it may have came back with no record found...call them and offer them cash and see if they will let you have it....cause once it becomes theirs they will just crush it...(thats what i do)..but everyone is difffrent...but if they wont then it goes up everyday...and HONESTLY the cops should have informed you the minute they recovered it of where t was...might want to look into that...
all of this is true except we sell ours to u-wrench-it and sadisco before we send them to the crusher

and out of curiosity how did u find the car / informed you about the whole situation.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:00 PM
smokin on bob marley

Last edited by wheelspin; 11-27-2008 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:07 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

when did the oficer inform you???oct 29th??if he did and you waited till now to try and pickup then i feel sorry for you...
Old 11-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by wheelspin
or the jackasses did not know how to drive a six puck un-sprung and wrecked that night.
Right. Car thieves wrecked your car because it had a unsprung six puck. You must be a driving god to keep it in intact on a daily basis.

If you've found some laws that are helpful, pursue those. Also talk to the police department and see what standard procedure is to make sure you aren't getting taken for a ride by the tow company. I can't imagine you'd be responsible for all the backdated charges if you were just informed of the recovery.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:06 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Right. Car thieves wrecked your car because it had a unsprung six puck. You must be a driving god to keep it in intact on a daily basis.

If you've found some laws that are helpful, pursue those. Also talk to the police department and see what standard procedure is to make sure you aren't getting taken for a ride by the tow company. I can't imagine you'd be responsible for all the backdated charges if you were just informed of the recovery.
well thats what i was trying to figure out...if hes known about it since oct and just now trying to get it then its his fault...if the police just told him then imho he should just have to pay storage since that day...
Old 11-26-2008, 06:08 PM
loves quervo

uglyDC2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by wheelspin
an officer informed me that they had recovered my car. Called me on my cell, than told me the car was in an accident and where i could go pick it up. The tow company told me $1100 in storage fees and such,they have had it on their lot since oct.28th so guess it was involved in an accident that day or the jackasses did not know how to drive a six puck un-sprung and wrecked that night. also told me that my report was not filed until the 29th...so that was why my fees are so high. but i've found some laws stating that in the event that a car is stolen the owner has to be notified certified mail within 15 days that the lot has the car..and also the owner has 5 days after the contact to retrieve the vehicle and move it without any fees owed to that company.
-this is true and because of this most stolen cars end up at the city impound (at least thats my experience with ches, va bch, ports, and norfolk over the past 4 years)

-also unless otherwise notified by PD / insurance towing companies have no idea if a car is "hot" or not and assume owner is aware

-owners are also to be contacted through certified mail before processing for title as a last chance come get your shit before i crush it type thing

My question to you is at any point after you initially filed your case did you contact PD regarding any progress? Also what city and company is in question.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:07 PM
smokin on bob marley

Last edited by wheelspin; 11-27-2008 at 06:37 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:13 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

well if you just found out then i think you should only have to pay for a few days....you need to call the detective on the case and tell him your situation and ask him why were you not informed when the vehicle was wrecked...if it was a police call then they should have ran the vin and the ncis would have came up stolen and you should have been told then....sounds fishy regardless...but yeah talk to the dt and ask him if he can talk to the tow co and see if he can help you....

Quick Reply: can tow companies get away with this?