Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Can hot weather cause lower oil pressure even when oil temp is the same?

Old 07-07-2009, 05:53 AM
1.6L Elitist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Can hot weather cause lower oil pressure even when oil temp is the same?

Eh, thats not terrible. You recently went to 5w30 or always ran 5w30?
Old 07-07-2009, 06:00 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B
Default Re: Can hot weather cause lower oil pressure even when oil temp is the same?

Just went back to 5w30... but only this weekend. Wanted to get the old Amsoil out of the car to see if that was contributing to the lower pressure at ilde in the hot weather.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:09 AM
WHITE TRASH

SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR

What's the worse that could happen? Another repaint, a new set of headers, coil overs and sway bars only for the oil pump to take a dump and ruin the motor. I have done some research for you.....http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=828&catid=85

Edit: Whats 8k+ this far into it?

Last edited by SMOKEYBEAR; 07-07-2009 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:24 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

haha... I'd do a LS3 based 418... would want to keep the stroke at 4.0". Anything over that and you get into excessive wear and oiling issues.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:34 AM
Registered member

Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall

Originally Posted by JETSWU87
dude i so had my vette read lower pressure for a little while, thought nothing of it, my oil pump eventually failed..bad news

it failed racing a Ferrari F50, and i still won
this really did happen to me, it's how I blew a hole in the side of my duster's 360...it was a porsche though

I'm not use to a brian thread with no pictures
Old 07-08-2009, 12:37 AM
Shortbus never came.

HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway

I'm interested in finding out the real answer to the OP's question, since I'm in the same boat with my car. I add a quart of oil a week, but the oil pressure gauge is very inconsistent... I cannot find a pattern... and I use Fully Synthetic 15w-50...
Old 07-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by HerNameIsSway
I'm interested in finding out the real answer to the OP's question, since I'm in the same boat with my car. I add a quart of oil a week, but the oil pressure gauge is very inconsistent... I cannot find a pattern... and I use Fully Synthetic 15w-50...
15W-50? Your pressure is probably going to go all over the place with oil temp and engine temp.

What kind of gauge do you have, because unless it's a decent type then you might not being having a problem at all and the gauge may be giving false readings.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Bowtie Bound?? ;)

Nigerian Hair is a jewel in the roughNigerian Hair is a jewel in the roughNigerian Hair is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by HerNameIsSway
Time for a new car homie.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Fanboi

It was the motherfuckin' oil filter... here's what I posted to the knuckleheads on Bobistheoilguy.com who kept trying to tell my oil filters make no difference.

Well... here's the proof... it was the oil filter. I must have damaged the K&N internally when I hit the concrete.

Here's the oil pressure and temp when I got home from work today. It was moving from 39 to 40 and back again every few seconds. This is with a brand new Mobil 1 filter installed last weekend.

Oil temp is 207

Brand new K&N and some 5w30 to prime the filter

After I did some yard work I swapped the filter and went for a drive to get the car good and hot. Here's the result:

Oil pressure was going back and foth from 49-50 psi... would not drop any lower than 49.

Oil temp was 208

So... as you can see... swapping from the M1 back to the K&N resulted in a 10 PSI gain at idle. So in my setup the oil filter clearly does matter and the K&N clearly has a different media than the M1 eventhough the M1 is also made by Champion Labs and looks the same when cut apart. The hot cruise and WOT presures were the same because in these cases the oil pump was in relief.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Registered member

Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall

40 lbs vs 50 lbs doesn't make a difference, and it's a small enough difference that it can be explained away by other factors such as that 1 degree and gauge inaccuracies.

Neat test but I don't think you've proven them guys wrong with that one example

Quick Reply: Can hot weather cause lower oil pressure even when oil temp is the same?