Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Buying a car without a title.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:00 AM
The Pro to call.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: Buying a car without a title.

Originally Posted by huntrcrker
Chances are whoever is trying to trade you that car the bank owns it, so youre shit out of luck there. Otherwise try to apply for a lost title. But do what 95egd16 said and call them. Ive done quite a few abandon title claims but theyre usually cars worth less than 5k
I agree with this man. It is simple to get a lien search with the DMV, all you need to do is take the VIN and fill out a form with them, pay the ten bucks and you get a piece of paper saying yes it does have a lien registered in the Commonwealth or no it does not. A call to the local police dept. will yield you an NCIC check to see if it is stolen or not also.

I had one come through here that a shitbag tried to fuck me out of 2500 in repairs, we finally got the truck back and filed a mechanics lien on it. did the process, had the auction like required, and purchased it. The fucked up thing is that I got a call a few weeks later from a Repo company stating they had repo orders for that same vehicle.

We ran a DMV check, and it came up with no liens, so the DMV issued a clear title in VA two days before this shit blew up. Turns out the selling dealer in NC had a title clerk that failed to do her job, and it was never recorded with the DMV in NC.

I guess we got lucky on that one

Originally Posted by f-av8
Their is but the seller would have to do it. Im almost sure its like $100 dealers and shops can do it for a lesser charge im sure.
Not always, again it depends on the situation.

An abandoned title is not that bad of a cost to do, but there are a bit of costs and procedures you have to follow to be able to legally gain a clear title.

Originally Posted by f-av8
its illegal to buy a car without a title. thats what their gonna tell you
It is not illegal. Just retarded. You have no legal right to the car until you have a clear title in your name.

Originally Posted by it_broke_again
I got an offer on one of my cars to trade. The problem is that the car I would be trading for has no title. What hurdles do I have to go through in order to obtain the title? I know that I would at least need a bill of sale, but beyond that I'm kind of lost and I can't seem to come up with any decent information on the DMV site. If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.
NEVER purchase a vehicle without a title.

ever.

If you gain a vehicle through a business transaction or abandonment, it is possible to get an abandoned title or file a mechanics lien, but I doubt you are in that situation.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:20 AM
nannerpus, nannerpus

Carter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these parts

tell the seller/trader to get a title. it's not that hard.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:51 AM
haz hype

it_broke_again has a reputation beyond reputeit_broke_again has a reputation beyond reputeit_broke_again has a reputation beyond reputeit_broke_again has a reputation beyond reputeit_broke_again has a reputation beyond reputeit_broke_again has a reputation beyond reputeit_broke_again has a reputation beyond reputeit_broke_again has a reputation beyond reputeit_broke_again has a reputation beyond reputeit_broke_again has a reputation beyond repute

No see

Thanks for the advice. I think the guy was up to no good anyway.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

Was that the car he was tryin to give you? lol
Old 08-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Banned

loweg4dr has disabled reputation

how do you that abandon title claims
Old 08-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

Originally Posted by loweg4dr
You accidentily the whole title
Old 08-20-2009, 10:06 AM
DEY SEE ME TROLLIN

DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt

Originally Posted by fc735

NEVER purchase a vehicle without a title.

ever.

+1.

I owned and operated a small car dealership for a year and had to learn all the laws regarding titles. Granted there is way to get the title (only assuming there isnt a lien on it and it is in fact in the person who sold it to you's name.), don't risk it. TRUST ME on this one.
if he wants to sell the car to you, let him get the paperwork sorted out. Tell him you'll even pay all the DMV fees for it. (he'll prolly make up some excuse as to why he cant, at this point turn and walk away from this potential scam.)
Old 08-20-2009, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

huntrcrker has a spectacular aura abouthuntrcrker has a spectacular aura abouthuntrcrker has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by loweg4dr
I store a lot of cars and they end up leaving it behind, or they dont pay their rent cant ever get in contact with them so I can auction them. But cant sell a car without the title so I have to do a bunch of runnin around that usually pays off. Goto dmv with vin, let them run it if no liens youre good. If theres a lien cant do anything so I just call the lienholder, sometimes theyll offer me a cheap payoff other times they will pay the rent owed and take the car. Either way I dont care long as I get paid. If no lien, then do abandon title claim then wait if no one disputes you theyll issue you the title.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Banned

loweg4dr has disabled reputation

can any body chrage rent on car that has been left and the owner has not back for
Old 08-20-2009, 04:48 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

a shop can...its kinda hard for a regular person to do it...

Quick Reply: Buying a car without a title.