Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Brand of Oil

Old 04-04-2004, 10:25 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bart_simpson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brand of Oil

Does oil brand make any difference? What brand of oil do you use? I'm looking for suggestions for non-synthetic oils. thanks.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:30 AM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Brand of Oil

If you have higher mileage (over 75,000), I recommend Valvoline Max Life 10W-30 or 10W-40. I have heard nothing but good things about Valvoline and Mobil 1 oils. Personally I use Valvoline Full Synthetic and after 3,000 miles my oil looks like you could put it back in the bottle and resell it for new again. My dad always raised me up saying that the brand of oil really doesn't make as big of a difference is what some people say it does. He always told me the important thing is just to change it frequently along with you filter. What ever you do, my advice is one of the two oil brands I previously mentioned. Good luck
Old 04-04-2004, 10:45 AM
nannerpus, nannerpus

Carter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these parts

amsoil is a good brand as well, but I use Mobil 1, synthetic.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:58 AM

Special is an unknown quantity at this point

Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic is all I use.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668

I like mobil 1 and CASTROL syntec

My work only uses mobil non syntheic in all our oil changes. Mobil is deff. the better name among normal oil. As far as HIGH PERFORMANCE I would only use ROYAL PURPLE. They have a very good reputaion. Also there is a company that make oil for turbo cars. It is supposed to be able to handle the heat better.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:24 AM
i like prom.

urvtecs2slo has disabled reputation

synthetic - redline
non-synthetic - mobil
Old 04-04-2004, 12:18 PM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Only Synthetic. I run Mobil 1 0w40 euro blend or Amsoil 10w40. I change it ever 6000 miles depending on track events. If you chagne synthetic oil any sooner than that your wasting money. Lots of people will change the oil every 12k with a filter change at every 6k. The oil won't break down but it'll get dirty and oil filters can only hold too much.

Brock the reason your oil looks like you can put it back in @3000 is becuase you can!

If you've got over 75k on a car I'd be leary of going to syn oil, it's a bit more slippery and could cause oil consumption if the motor is used to dino oil.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

bart_simpson is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the responses. i have 120k on my car so i'm thinking of going with that vavloine max life. does anyone know whats different about it that makes it better for higher milage cars? also my car calls for 5W-30 oil, should I stick with that or is it safe or better to run something else?
Old 04-04-2004, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute

carter, be carefull thinking motor oil that comes out clean is doing the motor good.

Taking plenty of motors apart in some of my cars, recently mobile did something to thier oil that made it get dirty really quick, i thought it was oil that wasnt protecting as well.

Well situation came to tear down a motor that used Mobile with the newer formula and another motor that used some other versions as well as conventional. The motor with the new mobile blends didnt have one bit of varnish anywhere in the motor. The motor basically was chemically cleaned by the new blend of oil and then kept itself clean. Clean motor= more lube to specific parts that need it. ring lands, piston walls, bearings.

too bad i dont believe i'll ever be pulling any of my personall motors apart ever again so i cant ensure the variables dont hack up evidence.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:48 PM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

I agree... the new Mobil-1 looks dirtier, but does the job for me.

Quick Reply: Brand of Oil