Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

BMW 335 or Infiniti G35?

Old 05-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moriar has disabled reputation
Default Re: BMW 335 or Infiniti G35?

Originally Posted by Topik
i'm pretty sure that the 325iS is rated at 189 at the flywheel.
ugh my mistake, i meant wheel.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:56 AM
sooo suppressed

steezo757 has disabled reputation

Isn't the 335 going to be an turbo inline 6? Anyways, I'm definitely going to keep a close eye on the those. I heard that the new M3s will come with a V8. I have a couple more years before my G is paid off, so I might switch up after that.

Good Luck on your buy.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:01 AM
Hating...

JKim has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by BigBake
Like with all of BMW's engines, an additional 20 if you are lucky. They are all ran to the limits of their builds and tunes, and require major parts to get anything else from them. Although there is much hope that BMW leaves room for customer tweaking, I would not hold my breath over it.
Thanks captain obvious. Any NA 4/6cylinder will be more than simple bolt on affair to make 20hp at the wheels.

The whole arguement changes when speaking of forced induction. Hence my comment.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:05 PM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

BMW
Old 05-22-2006, 04:27 PM
OG Alumni

BigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Moriar
Not true at all..

I had a 325is that when stock had 155hp at the wheel.. then after Racing Dynamics (Electrodyne) got ahold of it, it put down 189.5 WHeel hp.. N/A

The current 2.5, 3.0, and 3.2 are all at their limits, simple mods like air intakes, exhuast upgrades result in little gain of performance. Even going bigger in mods like cams, or even a ported head results in small 5 to 10 rwhp gains after tuning. To gain substantial gains requires a power adder, good on you for gaining 10 more rwhp than average, but I am sure it was with an older 2.5, not the current production version.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:43 PM
OG Alumni

BigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JKim
Thanks captain obvious. Any NA 4/6cylinder will be more than simple bolt on affair to make 20hp at the wheels.

The whole arguement changes when speaking of forced induction. Hence my comment.

With the engine being the base and knowing that no mods to the engine are going to result in significant gains, it would stand to reason that you are going to spend big money to make any large gains over the factory. They have placed two small turbos on this engine gaining a little over 65hp, sounds about right when compared to those who supercharge. If you think that tweaking the small turbos is going to result in huge gains, you are kidding yourself. If you are stating that they be replaced with larger units or a single, then whats the point of even buying a 335 then? Cost wise it would be the same as turbo charging a regular 3.0l production model. You will spend the same amount of money for parts and tuning when all is said and done.
After reading the posts in this thread, it is not obviuos that everyone thinks that way, they all think it is like a Supra and requires just a few low costs mods to release another 100hp. It is far from that kind of performance level. Does it have a cool factor, sure it does, will you gain some noticeable power, sure you will, but you are not going to see 50-100rwhp gains without replacing the turbos, fuel injectors, exhuast, and tuning.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

The current 2.5, 3.0, and 3.2 are all at their limits, simple mods like air intakes, exhuast upgrades result in little gain of performance. Even going bigger in mods like cams, or even a ported head results in small 5 to 10 rwhp gains after tuning. To gain substantial gains requires a power adder, good on you for gaining 10 more rwhp than average, but I am sure it was with an older 2.5, not the current production version.
Correct i had an OBD1 2.5ltr.

But the problem with the newer OBDII cars is not the boltons, its the ECM, It will have a significant gain for a day or 2, then it will learn said modification and tune itself back to set map. If u went with standalone and kept same mods you will have a significant gain.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:57 PM
Hating...

JKim has disabled reputation

With the engine being the base and knowing that no mods to the engine are going to result in significant gains, it would stand to reason that you are going to spend big money to make any large gains over the factory. They have placed two small turbos on this engine gaining a little over 65hp, sounds about right when compared to those who supercharge. If you think that tweaking the small turbos is going to result in huge gains, you are kidding yourself. If you are stating that they be replaced with larger units or a single, then whats the point of even buying a 335 then? Cost wise it would be the same as turbo charging a regular 3.0l production model. You will spend the same amount of money for parts and tuning when all is said and done.
After reading the posts in this thread, it is not obviuos that everyone thinks that way, they all think it is like a Supra and requires just a few low costs mods to release another 100hp. It is far from that kind of performance level. Does it have a cool factor, sure it does, will you gain some noticeable power, sure you will, but you are not going to see 50-100rwhp gains without replacing the turbos, fuel injectors, exhuast, and tuning.

So you're saying that you might as well turbo a NA motor if you're going to swap the stock turbos out anyways, if you're looking for big power? LOL

try doing that to the supra, 3000gt, dsm, impreza, rx7 and just about every factory turbocharged motor with a NA version. Every car manufact. that has made a turbocharged motor from the factory has developed their motor to withstand the extra power by adding stronger internals.

Its common knowledge that a turbocharged motors yeild the best bang for buck. Why? because of the nature of turbocharging, it leaves alot room for more tuning potential. And to have a factory turbocharged motor that rides on the edge of detonation by maximizing output would be monetary suicide for the car manufacturer. Thats why they leave LOTS of buffer room, which for the aftermarket means tuning potential.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

So you're saying that you might as well turbo a NA motor if you're going to swap the stock turbos out anyways, if you're looking for big power? LOL

try doing that to the supra, 3000gt, dsm, impreza, rx7 and just about every factory turbocharged motor with a NA version. Every car manufact. that has made a turbocharged motor from the factory has developed their motor to withstand the extra power by adding stronger internals.

Its common knowledge that a turbocharged motors yeild the best bang for buck. Why? because of the nature of turbocharging, it leaves alot room for more tuning potential. And to have a factory turbocharged motor that rides on the edge of detonation by maximizing output would be monetary suicide for the car manufacturer. Thats why they leave LOTS of buffer room, which for the aftermarket means tuning potential.
badda bing badda boom!
Old 05-23-2006, 03:12 AM
OG Alumni

Uhhh yeah, it was just stated the stock ECU cannot be tweaked further, so a stand alone which costs big $$$$, fuel system big $$$$, turbos $$$$, new exhuast big $$$$, anything BMW related = big $$$$$$$$. The costs would amount to the same as placing a turbo on a NA set-up, so whats the point?

Internals were never the discussion pont, just the fact that you are not simply going to up the boost, and expect the stock ECU to allow for that tweak. To give you a finer point, the 3.0l has no tuning software available from any major tuner for a good reason. The gains were so minimal it was not a worth while project. So what makes you think the turbo version is going to have such a huge amount of slop involved? Just because it is FI? Ok you keep thinking that. Those other manufactirers it is well known that even the NA model could be modified to get good gains in there NA models. So I am not following your point. The LS1 for instance can take a moderate cam without any tuning done and come out with average gains of 25rwhp, throw a tune onto it and up to 60rwhp is not unheard of.

Its common knowledge that a turbocharged motors yeild the best bang for buck.

Not being argued, it is well known why they want to do this. The increased amount of torque makes for an excellent commuter car, combined with an already good inline 6 makes for a great driving car. It loses none of its mid range or upper rpm performance, and gains a huge amount of torque at 1800rpms and up. A major win for performance with excellent efficiency.

Why? because of the nature of turbocharging, it leaves alot room for more tuning potential. And to have a factory turbocharged motor that rides on the edge of detonation by maximizing output would be monetary suicide for the car manufacturer. Thats why they leave LOTS of buffer room, which for the aftermarket means tuning potential.
No manufacturer tweaks any engine to near detonation, it is well known that performance engines are tuned to levels that make the best power. But it is well known that BMW leaves no room for improvement on their ECU's and big tuners like Dinan have spent time and money to get no gains shows that BMW has left no room for tweaking on their new engines.

Quick Reply: BMW 335 or Infiniti G35?