Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

best cf hood

Old 09-22-2003, 12:11 PM
Jay
VR-4ever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay

I heart my C-West hood.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:33 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

The reason that your hoods are fading is because you're not taking care of them.
Polyester resin and gel coat, which the majority of the hoods are made with (Spoon probably uses epoxy, which is why they are more $$) are not UV stable. So sitting out in the sun, the resin/gel coat is being broken down and will start chalking out and turning yellow. This is what gel coat does. Boats do it too, same method of construction. Anyway, you really should be clear coating your hoods, with a GOOD clear coat, because the clear coat provides a sealant for the gel coat, and a good deal of UV filtration. Plus, it's as easy to take care of as your paint. So the next time you buy a hood, clear coat it and it won't deteriorate in the sunlight.
Also, if you the only problem you're having is fading/chalking, wet sand it with 600 grit paper and then get it clearcoated.

By the way, don't go with a Spoon unless you have a trust fund. They aren't really lighter, they look the same, and the difference in quality doesn't matter for a hood. They're really nice, don't get me wrong, but I'd rather have the difference in price for something else. Like a carbon trunk lid. =)

By the way, note the evenness of depth across the Spoon hood in the picture; that's good stuff..
Old 09-23-2003, 09:39 AM
sup

SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE

werd