Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Bench racing

Old 01-02-2006, 07:10 AM
wub wub wub wub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla
Default Bench racing

In literal terms, this may be an easy question to answer but I really started thinking about this more and more today:

What would be faster? A car with 100whp and 500ft-lbs of torque, or the same exact car with 500whp and 100ft-lbs of torque? Same weight, same gear ratio, same tires, same exact car.

I know the difference between horsepower and torque, but I'm wondering what would happen if you really take it to the extremes which is ultimately going to be more vital. I've always said I'd rather have a torque monster than a dyno queen with tons of unuseable horsepower and very little torque, but curiousity cause me to create this thread!

...and yes, I know the two go hand in hand and play off of eachother.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:28 AM
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF
Default Re: Bench racing

Well, it depends on the application. If both cars were FWD, then the HP-heavy car would be able to apply the power better than a TQ-heavy car.

Opposite for RWD, for the most part...definitely for AWD.

Also, if the car is real light, HP would be just as good as high-TQ, but I think more driveable. I think.

Something to think about.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:46 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

So lets say all across the board, because you made a good point about FWD, RWD, and AWD. I was sort of thinking of the typical FWD car, same exact car making extreme high horsepower, or extreme high torque in either instance.

So lets say for FWD, RWD, and AWD. I think it would be interesting to see a real life test to prove the results, like on MythBusters.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:13 AM
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute

they'll accelerate at the same rate. Its the same force applied to the crankshaft but its dependant on RPM.

horsepower = torque x RPM divided by 5252.

Last edited by Greaser; 01-02-2006 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:27 AM
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute

on another note

for a motor to produce 100hp and 500 ft/lbs it would have to be done @1060rpm

conversely

for a motor to produce 500hp and 100ft/lbs it would have to be done @ 26,300 rpm
Old 01-02-2006, 01:34 PM
ZOR - WE'RE BACK!

cole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these parts

GREASER FOR THE WIN!
Old 01-02-2006, 01:49 PM
_______

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____

Originally Posted by Greaser
on another note

for a motor to produce 100hp and 500 ft/lbs it would have to be done @1060rpm

conversely

for a motor to produce 500hp and 100ft/lbs it would have to be done @ 26,300 rpm
How do you figure that? I never knew the formula?
Old 01-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by geonfreaq
How do you figure that? I never knew the formula?

look above the post you quoted for the formula.

I'd also assume they consume the same amount of fuel and create the same amount of heat.

Last edited by Greaser; 01-02-2006 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Captain night owl

vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger

well saying which one is faster. and 100hp car with never see 150mph

but a 500hp car damn well better be able to.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by vasponger
well saying which one is faster. and 100hp car with never see 150mph

but a 500hp car damn well better be able to.

why not?

think about it a little more if they are both applying their peak rotation force @ certain rpms.

torque and horsepower are a function of rpm. They are in no way seperate from each other.

Maybe another way to look at it. say i can bench press 500lbs like 10 times or bench press 50lbs like 10,000 times. I'm still exherting the same amount of energy in both situations.

Quick Reply: Bench racing