VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Discussion (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/)
-   -   B16 in a 2nd gen LS Integra (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/b16-2nd-gen-ls-integra-37473/)

EEK 01-08-2004 12:52 PM

because its the jdm way hahah..2nd gen integra's in japan come with the xsi motor..which is the 1st gen b16..with a lsd tranny and higher CR

WqYn3 01-08-2004 12:57 PM

yep yep

boostjunkie 01-08-2004 01:15 PM

Originally posted by AcuRaChiC
i just say...rebuild the b18 then turbo it!!!!! :D

id go with cosmetic mods first in your case...

JETSWU87 01-08-2004 01:49 PM

how do you figure b16 to be cheaper then another ls benny?

the only real arguement for b16 is that its a better platform then say a basic ls. I dont buy into it though, i dont think id ever drop a b16 in mine, unless i got it dirt cheap.

b20= cheaper...stock motor b20z teg vs stock motor b16a teg = b20z ownage

RPRacing 01-08-2004 03:03 PM

ok, i have to clue in here. My first DA was a POS 92GS with an OBDO b16a (first gen, but the rare one with 170hp, yes it exists, do some searching). It was fairly quick when i had it early on. As time went by the engine got worse, i believe it is due to the shitty swap install and OBD differences with sensors and ECU.
My current DA is a 93 LS that pulls hard. with only a AEM CAI and replaced resonator with 2.5" piping from cat to muffler, I ran a 15.522 at VMP

I believe that people swap in the b16 because
a) it is a fairly cheap motor (you can find one for about 1000)
2) an LS/vtec setup spending only 1000 would probable be unreliable*
3) the JDM b16 tranny is shorter geared which is preffered by most honda motors(yes, i know its more preference and where your powerband lies, but the majority of people i have discussed this with have preffered the shorter gears)
4) The tranny also has a LSD option whereas no USDM cable trannies had LSD
5) if someone uses their resources wisely, a b16 could be purchased for a small net price (meaning if you sell you LS as a swap for even 500, you could make some of the money you spent on the b16 back)
6) Most (maybe all) JDM b16s dont come with AC and people usually strip the powersteering too. Getting the b16 usually compells people to do some wieght reduction (ok, that reason is pushing it, but its possible)
7) a stock b16 is very reliable (assuming you have a good swap install) as compared to most LS/vtec*, LS/turbo (boost in a virus, you'll keep boosting until BOOM), b20/vtec (but then cost is much more), and I see no reason why a b20 wouldn't be as reliable as a b16

* i say this on the premise that you are swapping the b16 because you do not do your own motor work and would have to take the block to a shop to get the oil lines run.

and yes, i am prepared to defend my reasons (and if i have stated improper information, please inform me where i am wrong)

nolongerhere. 01-08-2004 03:11 PM

i'd say the vast majority of people do it because it's vtec and they can say they have a b16.

RPRacing 01-08-2004 03:15 PM

Originally posted by Tha Don
i'd say the vast majority of people do it because it's vtec and they can say they have a b16.
true

ritz 01-08-2004 05:18 PM

My whole arguement was, why do people replace a motor that has such potential? Shit I'd understand if it was a D-series motor, but you have just as many people putting in B18A's & B's in cars as B16's. There's a shitload of LS-T Integras, Hatches, and Coupes...I dunno, I see what yall are saying, I just feel that B18's def. have potential.

nolongerhere. 01-08-2004 05:38 PM

i agree with you...if i wanted the "ever precious vtec" i'd just put a different head on the b18....and if i just wanted to go fast, i'd go turbo on the b18.....i see what you're saying...i really believe that engine codes for hondas have become so common that a lot of people probably just want the "luxury" of saying they have a b16 under the hood....

ritz 01-08-2004 05:42 PM

Originally posted by Tha Don
i agree with you...if i wanted the "ever precious vtec" i'd just put a different head on the b18....and if i just wanted to go fast, i'd go turbo on the b18.....i see what you're saying...i really believe that engine codes for hondas have become so common that a lot of people probably just want the "luxury" of saying they have a b16 under the hood....
Yeah I hear ya. A friend of mine just swapped in an LS into his 89 4-door. Shaved head and block, 3 angle valve job, port and polished head, forged type r pistions (10.7:1 Comp. Ratio) and basic boltons I/H/E. It runs pretty damn hard and the motor feels very tight.