VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Discussion (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/)
-   -   Auto insurance, special/ modified (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/auto-insurance-special-modified-398167/)

xboxhaxorz 05-25-2011 01:19 PM

Auto insurance, special/ modified

Sorry if theres a topic already. I searched insurance but did not find anything.

I currently have liability only on my policy. I was considering comprehensive in case somebody vandalizes or steals my or maybe some birds shit on it. I dont drive the car much. It will mostly be parked.

The car itself is probably worth $3k stock. But with the work done on it, i would say maybe $7k. Insurance said they would only pay KBB for the car if anything happens. I asked them about all the other stuff, they said rims, stereo etc; is not covered.

I am sure there are many on this forum with alot of $$ into old cars how does that work for insurance?

SleepySOHC 05-25-2011 02:13 PM

Loud and overly sensitive car alarm so even if that bird takes a doodie on it you can spot it out and take er down. OR dont put to much into something? Theyre prolly not gona cover ANYTHING aftermarket at all because they could care less.

Computer_Nerd 05-25-2011 03:51 PM

Re: Auto insurance, special/ modified

You need to ask for "replacement coverage" not comprehensive. Call around, you may need to provide receipts for proof of value.

Drag Busa 05-25-2011 07:26 PM

State Farm told me they will cover all of my stuff as long as I can provide them with reciepts if anything happens to my car.

E.Honda 05-27-2011 09:08 AM

When I had my Civic I was worried about insurance covering it if anything should have happened. I went with USAA because they cover all aftermarket modifications. Just make sure to have plenty of reciepts and pictures to prove everything.

elambz 05-27-2011 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Drag Busa (Post 7124348)
State Farm told me they will cover all of my stuff as long as I can provide them with reciepts if anything happens to my car.

That's funny, my friend was dropped by State Farm because his car was "too heavily modified"

RCE EATR 05-27-2011 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by xboxhaxorz (Post 7123698)
Sorry if theres a topic already. I searched insurance but did not find anything.

I currently have liability only on my policy. I was considering comprehensive in case somebody vandalizes or steals my or maybe some birds shit on it. I dont drive the car much. It will mostly be parked.

The car itself is probably worth $3k stock. But with the work done on it, i would say maybe $7k. Insurance said they would only pay KBB for the car if anything happens. I asked them about all the other stuff, they said rims, stereo etc; is not covered.

I am sure there are many on this forum with alot of $$ into old cars how does that work for insurance?

most carriers ask if vehicles have any special equipment and you list the value for the modifications.

E.Honda 05-27-2011 11:17 AM

I was just thinking, and my friend had a 1999 Integra, and had a indash navigation. It was stolen, and USAA covered its replacement cost. Not just once, twice. Both within a 6 month span.

shonanspeed 05-27-2011 12:34 PM

This is a link to a dude who will cover anything, he even offers on-track coverage, heavily modified coverage...basically everything. http://www.dragillustrated.com/2011/...izmark-larson/

xboxhaxorz 05-27-2011 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by E.Honda (Post 7128102)
I was just thinking, and my friend had a 1999 Integra, and had a indash navigation. It was stolen, and USAA covered its replacement cost. Not just once, twice. Both within a 6 month span.

How did they pay 2 times, i assume the car was stolen and retrieved and then stolen again?