Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Applicable Laws Concerning Protecting Personal Property

Old 01-10-2007, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma
Applicable Laws Concerning Protecting Personal Property

Seeing all of the threads about cars being stolen, stripped, and left for dead have me thinking to what extent does the Commonwealth of Virginia allow for its citizens to protect themselves from theft. Besides the obvious theft deterants what can we do to protect our lovely counterparts? Do we have to stand idle while we wait for the authorities to show? Are there ways to defend yourself from theft?

Current state law allows for a citizen to carry a concealed weapon on their person without having a CCW on there property, abode, and place of business. This means we are allowed to carry, but to use the weapon in defending their property is another issue in itself.

There are many ways around using lethal force to protect yourself even though the theives are more than likely carrying a weapon that is illegal and it is illegal for them to have one period, it goes with the territory. Tasers, rubber shotgun shells, tear gas/pepper spray are a few options the authorities use to control the unruly without being lethal.

Are these practical options for the common citizen?

Installing alarms, and the like, are the common place for our defense. As you can clearly see even that won't stop some people from wrecking havoc on your baby that took all your time, effort, and money to attain. Well deserved citizens are being swept under the carpet by having our hands tied by the law while those that are less fortunite or just plain greedy walk away with your hard earned creation.

I'm not 100% on the laws, which is the point of this thread (to educate those in the actions we are allowed to take in this state without being subject to prosecution), but I do know even though you are defending yourself from an attacker you are still held liable for the damage done in defending yourself. The courts don't care what he did, they want to know what you did.

What can one do when they catch the theives in the act? Stand idle by and call the cops, by that time they will be long gone and you will be at a loss.

This sport isn't worth dying over, so what can we do to protect ourselves?

E
Old 01-10-2007, 02:27 PM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd
Default Re: Applicable Laws Concerning Protecting Personal Property

Hop in the car. If they are trying to take the car while you are in it -- that's carjacking and your life is danger -- shoot to kill. Just remember to tell 911 that you were in the car, uh, "sleeping," when the fools tried to kill you.

The laws are 100% and well tested by the courts. Your life has to be in immediate danger in a situation where it would not be possible for you to just walk away.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Missin' the LBG

NikkaLB23 has disabled reputation

My mom had pepperspray, I don't really remember why. But When I was in middle school my friends and I were bored and found it and one of my friends shot it like 3 feet away from him to his left side and shit had him almost throwing up and gasping for air. We were all in the same room when he shot it and I was like 15 feet away and it still had me gasping for air that shit hurts really badly if even if you're near it. Pepperspray, FTW.

The only problem with it is that you look like a homo with that shit, but hey at least you can get themand like hold them down till cops come.

tasers would be funny to use.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:49 PM
RIP Chris Schader

g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x

Originally Posted by Not Stock
Hop in the car. If they are trying to take the car while you are in it -- that's carjacking and your life is danger -- shoot to kill. Just remember to tell 911 that you were in the car, uh, "sleeping," when the fools tried to kill you.

The laws are 100% and well tested by the courts. Your life has to be in immediate danger in a situation where it would not be possible for you to just walk away.
my concealed weapons instructor said that if someone is jacking your car you cant shoot them especially if they pull you out and if you shoot them then you are in trouble, however if the jacker tries to pull you out "and you have your seatbelt on and hes choking you while pulling you out" then you can shoot him because he was going to kill you with the seatbelt .
Old 01-10-2007, 03:50 PM
RIP Chris Schader

Originally Posted by NikkaLB23
tasers would be funny to use.
yes, the theif would definatley run and scream like a lil bitch! hahaa
Old 01-10-2007, 05:03 PM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Originally Posted by g S x
my concealed weapons instructor said that if someone is jacking your car you cant shoot them especially if they pull you out and if you shoot them then you are in trouble, however if the jacker tries to pull you out "and you have your seatbelt on and hes choking you while pulling you out" then you can shoot him because he was going to kill you with the seatbelt .
If an attacker pulls you out, then you can escape the property crime and your instructor was correct.

Key part is that you claim you were "sleeping" in the car. There was a court decision that stated that if you are within the vehicle, it can be considered your temporary residence if you were sleeping and it's just like if someone were breaking into your home. Same with truck drivers with a sleeper cab. Don't remember the case name but it was about a guy sleeping at a highway rest area in his car, dead kid's family tried to sue.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Reppin The DOHC

turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies

Originally Posted by g S x
Thats awesome
Old 01-10-2007, 06:18 PM
I <3 BOOST

Iceman05 is an unknown quantity at this point

i know its ignorant, but my motto is shoot now, ask questions later....

-if someone breaks into my house, they are dead.
-if its my car i would pull a gun on them and try and hold them until cops arrived.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Missin' the LBG

NikkaLB23 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Iceman05
i know its ignorant, but my motto is shoot now, ask questions later....

-if someone breaks into my house, they are dead.
-if its my car i would pull a gun on them and try and hold them until cops arrived.
exactly who cares if they break into your house and go straight for your car they are still in your house.

I'd do the same if someone was trying to steal my car too, there is nothing you can do unless they are or you think they are going to harm you so hold them off if not then wait it out till the cops come.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:39 PM
RIP Chris Schader

when i was in that CCW class, one of the classmates told a story about how he heard someone outside breaking into his car so he went out there and pointed the gun at the guy who locked himself inside, the car theif smiled at him and kept working at the ignition and then drove off. he knew that the guy wasnt trying to go to prison for shooting him. the car owner aimed and shot the tire out on his car and the guy still drove off. the cops found the car a couple miles away flat tire and all with everything still in tact other than the obvious, then they proceeded to give the guy a ticket for discharging a firearm in the city limits of virginia beach.

also if someone breaks in your house, you have no right to shoot them. lock your self and your family in a room and call 911, while they are on the phone be loud and tell the burglar that you are armed and if he comes in the door that you will shoot him (that way it's on tape). when you see him running down the road with your plasma tv you cant shoot him because hes already done all that he was going to do to you.

Last edited by g S x; 01-10-2007 at 06:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Applicable Laws Concerning Protecting Personal Property