Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Another speeding ticket question??

Old 08-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LudeBehavior21 will become famous soon enough
Default Another speeding ticket question??

I know many people have addressed the area of speeding tickets, and I have searched/read most of them but I still am wondering if I should waste my time in court. So here is my story:

I was on my way home from Fort Eustis today heading towards Newport News on I-64. I was on the area of 64 where it is two lanes (the posted speed limit is 65 mph) approaching the area where it widens to four lanes. Once it hits the four lanes the speed limit changes to 60 mph. Anyways I was going down I-64 doing about 70mph leading the flow of traffic when an SUV comes flying by me and gets infront of me. By the time we reach the area of I-64 where it turns to four lanes he is about 6 car lengths infront of me and I am not gaining on him/her one bit, all of a sudden he swerves over about two lanes and hopes off the intersate on the first Jefferson Ave. exit. So my first thought is was there something in the road but then I saw up where the cement divider starts a state trooper sitting there. My next thought is oh he must have thought that he/she got clocked so they hoped off of the interstate. So I pass the the state trooper doing about 67mph when I looked down, granted I know I am speeding but had no time to slow down because the SUV was blocking my veiw. I ended up getting pulled over but instead of issueing me ticket for a 67 in a 60, the trooper gives me a 78 in a 60. I tried asking the trooper if they saw the SUV infront of me but they were not trying to even talk to me. So my only guess is that the State Trooper must have clocked the SUV and gave me the ticket for what the SUV was going. I know for a fact that my speedo is not off by that much, maybe a mile or two.

So my question to you is this even worth fighting? Its the State Troopers word against mine, which doesn't weigh a lot. All I have to do is pay the fine(its like $91.00) and I was speeding orginally so I am in no way trying to talk my way out of that. I was in the wrong just not by as much as the State Trooper says. I have been driving for 7 years and have had no previous offenses, so is this going to make my insurance go up drastically (I will be 23 on Saturday)? Is it worth even taking a drive improvement class? When I checked it is a 4 point offense on the DMV website.

Any insight or opinions on what I should do would be appericated, thanks. Hope it wasn't to confusing.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:48 PM
He's like the wind

MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC
Default Re: Another speeding ticket question??

Its not worth fighting, you could or pay the ticket. If you want, go to court and tell them you'll go to drivers school, it's your first offense, and they'll probably dismiss it upon completion of class.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:48 PM
Type-R; Tight Car

The real Ryan has disabled reputation

If you had no prior offenses then go to court and the judge will place you on a 6 month probation most likely. I just witnessed three cases a few days ago in Newport News. Everyone that had no prior offenses got probation for 6 months. Also I would take a driver improvment course just to help you out while in court.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

augustschwartz is an unknown quantity at this point

I got caught at 96 in the same spot, the judge will be easy on you if its your first offense.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:02 PM
PoNtEeN4

Henryx33 has disabled reputation

If you have an out of state Drivers license it doesn't show up on your record, and your insurance company will never find out. The state of Virginia are dicks about driving tickets. I would just pay the fine, but if you go to court it might get reduced. It all depends on the judge. Good Luck.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Mustang Lover

ViolentDoctor is an unknown quantity at this point

i got out of my speeding ticket asking when was the last time they calibrated their gun and what fork they used to tune it...

the officer didnt have the records to make a point on the last time he calibrated it.

but i dont know if that will work in your favor... but good luck
Old 08-08-2006, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

LudeBehavior21 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all of the advice guys, appreciate it.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Everyday

BlackEJ BlackEJ BlackEJ BlackEJ BlackEJ

Originally Posted by ViolentDoctor
i got out of my speeding ticket asking when was the last time they calibrated their gun and what fork they used to tune it...

the officer didnt have the records to make a point on the last time he calibrated it.

but i dont know if that will work in your favor... but good luck
Yes that one works, also if it was raining the reading will be off.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:05 PM
Boosted F2B

99EJ6T is an unknown quantity at this point

Last edited by 99EJ6T; 08-23-2006 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

Bustadust can only hope to improve

just spend the money to take the driving improvement course before the court date..it gives u +5 points on your record gauranteed if u go voluntarily..also get your gauge calibrated..they will etheir give u 6 months probation(meaning after 6 months its completely off your record) or just dismiss it all together..but make sure u atleast take the improvement course before the judge says because u will get 5 points to your record..and get a dmv copy of your record as well and show the judge. make sure u get a copy showing the +5

Quick Reply: Another speeding ticket question??