Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

accident...incorrect info on police report

Old 09-26-2004, 03:25 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
miahmouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Question accident...incorrect info on police report

the accident:
Other vehicle decides to perform kamikaze left hand turn in front of me. I managed to get my foot on the brakes just in time to have the brake pedal re-arrange my foot when impact occured.

the problem:
As I was recently informed the officer named me as the jackass making the left hand turn and the other driver having the right of way(along with incorrect street names). The insurance company is saying to get the police report corrected or the accident will be noted as an at-fault accident on my part. I've left a couple messages with the officer but either he's not getting them or just doesn't want to do anything.

Looking for some advice from anyone who's had to deal with something like this or better yet a police officer.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:31 AM
I drive real slow

subaruboy has disabled reputation
Default Re: accident...incorrect info on police report

Originally Posted by miahmouse
the accident:
Other vehicle decides to perform kamikaze left hand turn in front of me. I managed to get my foot on the brakes just in time to have the brake pedal re-arrange my foot when impact occured.

the problem:
As I was recently informed the officer named me as the jackass making the left hand turn and the other driver having the right of way(along with incorrect street names). The insurance company is saying to get the police report corrected or the accident will be noted as an at-fault accident on my part. I've left a couple messages with the officer but either he's not getting them or just doesn't want to do anything.

Looking for some advice from anyone who's had to deal with something like this or better yet a police officer.
talk to a lawyer... expensive but they'll get the job done, and it's a lot better and cheaper in the long run than being at fault for the accident. most cops are dicks. you'll never hear from him again if he can help it.

if you wanna try something else, try going to the police station and paging him to talk face-to-face.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:00 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, the lawyers are always an option, but they only tend to complicate situations. This would definitely be a first though, driving myself to the police station... and wanting to speak with an officer...hehe.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

Orange_Fly_Bye has disabled reputation

i had almost the same thing happen to me. my lawyer said he couldnt do anything cuz it was already on the ticket that way. but mine was i got hit cuz and old lady ran a red light and the cop put down on the ticket that we were both goin the same way and she t boned me on the drivers side, the true part is she hit me on the drivers side but she came across the intersection. like i said if u just got the ticket go get a lawyer a soon as possible, i got mine like a week or 2 before the court date. maybe u can do something if its a far away court date like a month or something, good luck neways. o yea i called the officer like 3 or 4 times and he NEVER called me back went to court and my lawyer said that the bitch judge didnt do shit about it, and its against the law for the cop not to call u back, atleast thats wat my lawyer said.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

yea, no ticket for me, I'm just getting screwed by the insurance companies...
Old 09-26-2004, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

Orange_Fly_Bye has disabled reputation

damn, well i guess u have to get something i mean this is VA
Old 09-26-2004, 09:37 PM
Try searching!

vbgsx has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Orange_Fly_Bye
its against the law for the cop not to call u back, atleast thats wat my lawyer said.
Sorry but your lawyer is an idiot.

Now what city did this happen in? Was a ticket written to the person that caused the accident? Witnesses that you can contact?

Here's what you do. Take these steps in order

1. you need to log the days and times that you have called and left a message.

2. If he doesn't call you back, you ask to speak to a supervisor.

3. Inform the supervisor of what is going on and tell them you have called the Officer X number of times on X dates and he's never responded back to you.

4. See what the supervisor says. Give the supervisor a little time to do what he has to do.

5. Write down the name of supervisor and every one else that you speak to.

6. If you do not get a responce back or not happy with the supervisors actions, either ask the supervisor or call back and ask for the number to make a formal complaint....sometimes called Internal Affairs or Professional Standards.

7. File a formal complaint against the officer/dept.

I don't know how long this has been going on but remember.... the officer may not be getting messages, may be on vacation, at training, just not calling you back, etc, etc.
Take all things into consideration.

Good luck

Last edited by vbgsx; 09-26-2004 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:36 AM
Registered Member

All the advise is very much appreciated. And yea, I'm not about to start a war with any officer or police group. I'll give it two weeks and 4 contacts worth of time before I take it any further. Thanks again...