Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

2nd Gen(99) Eclipse soft top

Old 02-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
white_spider has disabled reputation
Default 2nd Gen(99) Eclipse soft top

Ok, ever since I got my car, I've been trying to save up for a new top. Other expenses keep piling up from it, however, (tires, gas, oil, etc.). However, I'm still pinching my penny's and saving up for a new soft top since the one I currently have has a rip in it. I had enough money after Christmas (for a day), until I noticed the sidewalls on my tires were beginning to crack and thus had to replace them. During that time I called around and got many quotes, ranging from 1k-2k. The one I was going to go with was Nicks upholstery (in the Hampton Roads area). He seemed like a competent hard working guy and was one of the lowest bidders.

However, I did notice that another item which seemed to inflate the prices of many competitors. The ones who's quotes were closer to 2k, included a strap or something which they were going to replace also. They made this sound mandatory, and acted as though I needed to get it done.

I want to make sure that when I go to one of the places that offered the low price without the strap that

A: They can use the one I have
B: I'm not going to get there and they tack on an extra $500 for the strap.

Also, any good suggestions for places to look into getting my top replaced?

Thank you for your time,

Joseph
Old 02-16-2009, 10:17 AM
S a D u B

JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW
Default Re: 2nd Gen(99) Eclipse soft top

IBTBR.

Damn, I'm having to type that a lot today.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

I'm sorry, maybe it should go under tech talk?
Old 02-16-2009, 11:42 AM
I <3 My DSM

SPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud of

have you priced a new top at all to compare what it would cost ??? it might be worth just goin that route....
Old 02-16-2009, 12:04 PM
S a D u B

They can't just repair the tear?
Old 02-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

have you priced a new top at all to compare what it would cost ??? it might be worth just goin that route....
Yes, it's about 6-700 for a new top (of good quality). However, I'm not sure on how to install a soft top, and most shops price the top at about $750 and then tack on labor.
They charge double labor if I bring in my own top which makes it cheaper to use the one they buy.

They can't just repair the tear?
When I bought it, it had a patch. However, the patch has faded. It also still leaks. I asked around and it will continue to leak because no matter what you do the water can go through the seam.

Apparently the only option is to get a patch, which will prevent a lot of the leaking, but not all. The patch will still look tacky however. The back window also leaks a little (which I put silicon around the seal to prevent).
This is why I would prefer to just get an entirely new soft top.

So the question I still am trying to figure out is the strap they were talking about and do I need it? I don't want to get a new top and it not last because the entire job wasn't done.

Last edited by white_spider; 02-16-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:21 PM
S a D u B

^ I feel ya. At least you want to do it right.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

The_Truth The_Truth

Originally Posted by white_spider
Apparently the only option is to get a patch, which will prevent a lot of the leaking, but not all.
Is there no way that you could apply a patch on the inside to prevent it from looking so tacky on the outside and use some RVT to completely seal it for leaks?
Old 02-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

I'm not sure as I don't know much about upholstery/tops. I know there would still be a big stitch, and there would be a large colored spot from all the glue used for the current patch which is of a substantial size.
Though putting the patch under the top sounds like it would have been a better plan to start from.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:23 PM
eng
Administrator

eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng

Originally Posted by white_spider
Though putting the patch under the top sounds like it would have been a better plan to start from.
Not really, your choices are to see the slightly different colored patch if done from the top or the tear/glue/stitching if done from the bottom, either way a patch is just temporary.

If money is tight I'd try reading up on exactly what it would take to replace the top yourself. You might be surprised at how little actual work is required. Or maybe it is a lot of work, but you still should see exactly what goes into it before paying nearly double the price of the top alone.