Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

240sx new act strret disc slipping?

Old 02-01-2011, 05:54 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
breakfastking33 has disabled reputation
Default 240sx new act strret disc slipping?

Okay I have 240 with a freshly built red top. Before it was built I bent a rod and dynoed at 320hp. So i decided to replace the RPS clutch disc with a ACT street/strip disc since the motor was out!. The clutch has been properly broken in at a little over 500mi and now the clutch slips as soon as boost kicks in at 3rd gear and up and sometimes even on lower! Now is this because i never replaced my PP or is it because the act i used is not strong enough? The rps clutch I had on originally never slipped on me! any input would be appreciated! pls dont flame im just curious about what this really is!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:07 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: 240sx new act strret disc slipping?

So you just replaced the disc and not the pressure plate? Did you resurface the flywheel? Clutches are like brakes, they rely on an embedded layer of friction material on the pressure plate and flywheel friction surfaces to work properly, so if you've done nothing other than change the friction disc then you've probably got a compatibility problem between the new disc and the old friction compound.

There could be a slight difference in the thickness of the friction discs between the two manufacturers too, so the ACT disc might not clamp properly with another brand of pressure plate. That shouldn't be the case though, because most standard clutch parts are dimensioned to be OEM replacement so you can usually mix and match pretty much anything you want from different brands.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:47 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

stupid question- did you try adjusting the clutch pedal?
Old 02-01-2011, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

Yes, the flywheel was resurfaced and clutch pedal was adjusted. Although when i did adjust the clutch pedal it only helped for a short amount of time until it started slipping again. I'm thinking the PP might not have enough pressure on the fingers. However, I am curious about the slave cylinder. Comsmeticaly the slave cylinder is rusted and was replace 2 yrs ago along with the master cylinder but my clutch fluid is pretty dark and not clear anymore! just thought i might add that or maybe i just need a completely new clutch setup! But i just wanted to make sure that it is the clutch before waisting some money specially on a pretty tight budget! thanks for the response!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn

I'm no mechanic, but if your clutch fluid is dark and it wasn't dark to begin with then it could use a replacement. Although if you just replaced the slave not long ago I would assume you replaced the fluid in the system as well? Don't know why it would turn dark that soon.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:11 AM
Fitty Tuckin

-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-

Did you remove the dampener box??? The master cylinder line runs into this box located under the passenger side area. Then that runs into the slave cylinder. They suck, remove it and run the line from the master directly to t he slave. If you've already done this good job.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Registered member

henryt26 henryt26 henryt26 henryt26 henryt26 henryt26 henryt26 henryt26 henryt26 henryt26 henryt26

you might have cut the flywheel out of spec, just something to consider.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:41 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by secretnoforn
I'm no mechanic, but if your clutch fluid is dark and it wasn't dark to begin with then it could use a replacement. Although if you just replaced the slave not long ago I would assume you replaced the fluid in the system as well? Don't know why it would turn dark that soon.
thanks, i gonna have to go ahead and start with replacing the fluid so i can re-bleed.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:45 AM
Registered Member

Not sure if the dampener box is there but i didnt see anything there but ill recheck. Also the flywheel being out of spec, I hope not. By any chance, does anyone know how thick the specs should be for the flywheel? thanks!
Old 02-02-2011, 04:57 AM
BATTLESTAGS

TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo

Originally Posted by -JB-
Did you remove the dampener box??? The master cylinder line runs into this box located under the passenger side area. Then that runs into the slave cylinder. They suck, remove it and run the line from the master directly to t he slave. If you've already done this good job.
This.
That clutch damper sucks, and it's easy to get air stuck in it.

Quick Reply: 240sx new act strret disc slipping?