Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

240sx engine

Old 03-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GT-R has disabled reputation
Default 240sx engine

I'm in the market of purchasing a 240sx for drifting purposes. I've encountered a lot of modified 240sx for sale but I'm not interested in all the extra aftermarket equipment the vehicles come with.

I basically want a SR20DET with good suspension for drifting. Would it be a better idea to just buy a low end KA powered 240sx and swap the engine, suspension? Or should I buy a modified 240 with minimal aftermarkets?

I know I can get a decent deal on a modified 240 for under $10K but I also know I can pick up a good stock 240 for under $5K. Any suggestions?

FOR SALE LINK REMOVED to comply with the rules -Fabrik8

Last edited by Fabrik8; 03-30-2009 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Link deleted; this isn't the classifieds...
Old 03-30-2009, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1
Default Re: 240sx engine

Stock 240. Uprgading as you improve is not only safer for the car, but it will make learning much easier.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:41 PM
JAY SPEC

00civichatch 00civichatch

1. Buy a stock car. You will know what is broke and what has been messed with.

2. Learn how to build a car how everyone else did.

If you listen to one thing anyone says on this forum make it this statement:

3. PLEASE USE THE SEARCH BUTTON BEFORE MAKING ANY POSTS

Oh. . . and welcome aboard. If you have any questions feel free to pm someone before making an unnecessary thread.

Last edited by 00civichatch; 03-30-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:53 PM
I Love to Hate

B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well

beat the car up and replace what breaks. =D

That my friend is the best way to do it.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:43 PM
I <3 My DSM

SPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud of

or......try something else, ANYTHING besides a 240.....try something new....not saying 240's are bad, but originality goes a long way....
Old 03-31-2009, 02:43 AM
Logic is my religion

R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld

Chasing after somebody else's shitty work is a lot harder than redoing your own shitty work.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:26 AM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

hmm... I disagree with most of what's posted here (although I agree with benflagg a little, don't buy a shitty job from someone else)

If you can find a well modified, properly built 240 that's already swapped, has a good suspension, and nice bodywork (good luck), it will be far more cost effective than doing it all yourself.

I know everybody gets into that "If you build it yourself, you'll know the car better... BUILT NOT BOUGHT" bullshit. But the truth is, it's easier on your wallet to buy something that's already mostly done, then you can just fine tune it to your own liking.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:29 AM
Logic is my religion

R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld

Originally Posted by Flite
hmm... I disagree with most of what's posted here (although I agree with benflagg a little, don't buy a shitty job from someone else)

If you can find a well modified, properly built 240 that's already swapped, has a good suspension, and nice bodywork (good luck), it will be far more cost effective than doing it all yourself.

I know everybody gets into that "If you build it yourself, you'll know the car better... BUILT NOT BOUGHT" bullshit. But the truth is, it's easier on your wallet to buy something that's already mostly done, then you can just fine tune it to your own liking.
I agree.If you can find one put together nicely it wouldn't be a bad decision, just make sure the quality of work is verified, and you pay a fair price.

Look at it with the mindset that either you or somebody who you are paying is gonna have to fix it when it brakes. Don't accept anything that looks shady. Also do not forget that it will not be a maintenance free car. Especially once a car has been modified modified it demands a lot of attention in order to maintain a good state of tune. (if your drifting you will want to pay a lot of attention to alignment, tires, and suspension especially, not to mention power train)

Last edited by R. Danneskjöld; 03-31-2009 at 04:36 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:46 AM
Logic is my religion

Now that I'm thinking about it more, my honest recommendation would be to focus on the cheapest solid setup you can find, and focus on making it bullet proof instead of making power. You could find an S13 with a straight body do a good rebuild on the KA, put in a differential, and some good tires for what you would pay for a half decent sr swap. You might even have some money left over for making a little bit of power. But hey I'm not exactly an expert on drifting just thinking about how I would do it.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:13 AM
Danny@respecgarage

RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE

Buying someones project would be the way to go. People dump a lot of money into these cars to turn around and sell them as soon as they find out how much money and time it actually takes to build a proper drift car. I say start with a good car and work the whole suspension first then get into what motor you would like. A lot of people start with the stock KA and just weld the diff to get some seat time in. 70% of drifting is all drivers skill anyway. I have build pleanty of 240's to lead you in the right the right direction. PM me if you would like more info!!!

Danny

Quick Reply: 240sx engine