Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

2002+ Passat opinions and info please

Old 05-17-2006, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam
Default 2002+ Passat opinions and info please

I've been given the task of finding my older sister a new car. She really has the hots for a new(er) Passat, but I refuse to let her go and buy something brand new off the showroom floor, drive it 10 feet off the lot and suffer the normal depreciation that comes with buying a new car.

So, I've been hitting the normal websites trying to find a decently used '02 and newer Passat. Why 2002? No reason really, I just picked a year going by what the average amount of miles racks up to. My goal is to find something with less then 40k miles, and her budget is around $17,000. I'm not looking for people to say "Oh, i got this car for sale!", but I'm asking if anyone has any opinions on the newer Passats.

In other words, I'm looking for answers to these questions:

Out of the few choices, what is the best (see: reliable, good mpg) engine choice?

What, if any, are the obvious weak points in these cars? I know VW's in general aren't great in the electrical department, but is there anything I need to know specificaly about a Passat?

What needs to be checked out when buying a used Passat around 40k? If it was a Mustang I'd know exactly what the wear items would be, but I know nothing of a Passat. Anything out of the ordinary?

I have a few other questions, but they all kind of blend together. Overall I'm trying to get a quick background on these cars so I can be better educated in finding her the RIGHT car, not just a car in her price range.

Any and all info reguarding this would be very appreciated. She wants to act fast and I'm trying my best to do this smart. If anyone knows a VW tech, thats what I'm really looking for. An insiders view that has to work on these suckers everyday and know what always breaks, fails, is expensive to fix, etc.

Thanks again!
Old 05-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey
Default Re: 2002+ Passat opinions and info please

There were multiple engine, drivetrain and body configurations available in your year range. The following were available and you could get nearly any combonation imaginable:

Body: Sedan or Wagon (called Variant as well)
Engine: 1.8t, v6 or w8 (TDI was also available in the B5 at some time IIRC)
Transmission: manual (5 or 6spd) and automatic (tiptronic)
Drive type: fwd or awd (torsen system as used in Audi)

If I were you, I'd nix the w8 off the list in a hurry. They are hit or miss with reliability. I've read more than one person's sob story on vwvortex about being on their second or third motor.

The 1.8t and v6 are both great engines and will get lots of miles of trouble free use as long as maintained properly.

VW likes to have zero pading when it comes to their suggested maintance intervals. By that I mean, when it says replace the timing chains at 100k miles, you should expect them to start ticking bad around 101k miles. This is something to consider on all their motors. Also, they change their service intervals all the time. IIRC, the Audi TT was only supposed to go 60k miles before getting a timing belt change, while the vw (golf/passat) was 90k+ miles before the change. Same parts and same motor.

Make sure things like the windows work (up and down) and check all your other basic things (smooth shifting tranny, easy to crank, etc). Also, if she goes with a 1.8t, look under the car to see how much oil is everywhere. Turbos are a costly repair, but can last 100k miles. Don't let that scare you from a 1.8t though. I'd just use your mechanical knowledge and make sure everything works.

Getting a car that is/or was certified through a dealer goes a long way. If your sister likes the Passat, look at the Audi A4 as well. Same car underneath and most Audi owners will not neglect the service intervals. They will take their car in for the service as it was included in the purchase price of the car (oil changes and all).

I was considering a Passat recently and really wanted a v6 awd variant with a manual transmisson. Not easy to find though.

Also, check out Lindsay VW and talk to Matt Hendricks (tell him Corey w/ the red R32 send you). He will do what he can to help you out.

Hot Passat Pics:

Old 05-17-2006, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam

Awesome info, just the kind of stuff I need! Thanks.

Any others with additional info?

btw, that wagon is hot.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:21 PM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

I concur. That wagon is The Biz.

My boss had a 2002 Passat and the only problem he incurred was something with the coil. It was a 1.8t, and they were religious with the maintenance on it. I think they only had it two years, so it was probably around 35-40k miles as they drove it quite a bit (read: She works in real estate, so she drove clients, went on luncheons, and they traveled a lot [Wilmington, DC, Baltimore]).
Old 05-18-2006, 07:46 AM
Dub driver

volklover is an unknown quantity at this point

For those interested I know Casey Imports in Newport News had a W8 Wagon and a friend talked them down alot but never got it

http://www.casey.subaru.com/en_US/

Last edited by volklover; 05-18-2006 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:21 AM
Registered Member

Moriar has disabled reputation

Make sure they have had the following recalls done, or atleast u go have em done immediately.

M7 - Fuel Pump
VV - Heater Seat Switch
VZ - HEATED SEAT HARNESS
Old 05-18-2006, 01:34 PM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Originally Posted by SignfcntOthr
I concur. That wagon is The Biz.

My boss had a 2002 Passat and the only problem he incurred was something with the coil.
I forgot about the coil packs. My 1.8t had a recall for the coil packs. Good catch John.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Corey
I forgot about the coil packs. My 1.8t had a recall for the coil packs. Good catch John.
That recall was only for golfs / jettas / beetles, and it wasnt a recall actually, Jus a Technical Bulletin
Old 05-18-2006, 01:44 PM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Originally Posted by Moriar
That recall was only for golfs / jettas / beetles, and it wasnt a recall actually, Jus a Technical Bulletin
I got a notice from VWOA to take the car in to get the replacements. Usually that doesn't happen with a TB.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

I take it back actually, Its a recall on certain years, but from then on it was made into a TB.

Quick Reply: 2002+ Passat opinions and info please