Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

1969 Chevelle SS tranny

Old 04-09-2015, 05:37 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vdubking has a reputation beyond reputevdubking has a reputation beyond reputevdubking has a reputation beyond reputevdubking has a reputation beyond reputevdubking has a reputation beyond reputevdubking has a reputation beyond reputevdubking has a reputation beyond reputevdubking has a reputation beyond reputevdubking has a reputation beyond repute
Default 1969 Chevelle SS tranny

Hey guys I have had my 1969 Chevelle SS just recently completed and it currently has a busted 4speed due to the fact they have a hp tolerance of around 350 and my 396 bored to a 408 produces close to 500hp. I'm looking for a replacement trans and would like opinions on either a 5speed or 6 speed. Pros and cons which one will hold more hp. I know there are a couple different ones you can mate to it. If anyone has any experience and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:18 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: 1969 Chevelle SS tranny

So T-56, TR-6060/Magnum, TKO-500, TKO-600, the list goes on. I'm a Tremec fan, if you hadn't noticed.

Transmissions are rated by torque, not HP, so keep that in mind.

5 or 6 speed has nothing to do with how much power it will handle, unless you have a choice between 5 and 6 speed in the same case. In that situation, the 5 speed will usually handle more power because it will usually have wider gears, whereas the 6 speed would usually have narrower gears to fit the extra gear. That's a pretty general statement though, and you likely aren't going to find that situation very often. Usually the transmission is designed around packaging and the power requirements of the design application, so you'll often have 6 speeds that are stronger than 5 speeds and vice-versa, because it completely depends on the transmission design.

So just look around for a transmission that will fit in your car to your engine with good bellhousing availability, have the torque capacity you need, and have a convenient shifter location. 5 or 6 speed is up to you, and will mostly depend on what you want for gear ratios (and how far those ratios are spread apart) based on how the car will be driven. Lots of highway miles, autocross, road course, drag strip, etc., will all have an influence on what your choices are, and then which available set of ratios you choose.

It's a '69 Chevelle though, so there are LOTS of choices. It's a common car with a really common engine family, with common bellhousings and install kits for just about any transmission you want.

Google "Chevelle tremec conversion" and pull out your credit card.

Many pages like this one:
http://www.hurst-drivelines.com/?page_id=122

Last edited by Fabrik8; 04-09-2015 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:19 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch
Default Re: 1969 Chevelle SS tranny

I get a boner every time I see one of your posts