Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Sub frame alignment

Old 02-24-2014, 06:49 AM
GLHF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo
Default Sub frame alignment

So I've got an 06 A3, was traded this car for a motorcycle I had. Unfortunately I've found lots of gremlins in the car because the fucktard who traded me wasn't up front about a damn thing. But oh well, I'm just as guilty for not inspecting it thoroughly.

Anywho, I've discovered that the sub frame is crooked. I had someone work on the car for me, and he said you could see where the bolts SHOULD be, and how its moved slightly to one side. You could then tell that the wheels are slightly uneven from the left to right side, in regards to where they are located in the wheel well. I'm looking for a good shop to get this all aligned for me. I've searched, but didn't find anything specific to my needs. I was going to call Berts/Burts alignment and see if they could do it, or had a recommendation.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Saabing Around

grkguy89 grkguy89 grkguy89 grkguy89 grkguy89 grkguy89 grkguy89 grkguy89 grkguy89 grkguy89 grkguy89
Default Re: Sub frame alignment

I can do it
Old 02-24-2014, 03:54 PM

audienguy audienguy audienguy audienguy audienguy audienguy audienguy audienguy audienguy audienguy audienguy

^He can do it...in a gravel driveway, with a bottle jack and a 2X4, if he had to.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:37 PM
Registered member

Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo

Similar problems are documented all over the VW and Audi forums (I have a 2010 GTI) and part of the problem is the stretch bolts that are used when the subframe is lowered, removed etc. Also because these chassis' don't have camber adjustment at the individual wheels, a lot of times the subframe is loosened and the alignment adjusted and then the stock bolts are retightened, which because they are stretch bolts, they should be replaced.

My advice, you can do a couple of things, there are thicker Audi TT bolts that can be used in place of the stock bolts (can be seen here):
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4467071
However there are many who say this is only temporary and it will start to shift around again over time.

or there is the more expensive route (I just bought this kit from another forum member new for less then the sites cost):
http://www.tyrolsport.com/volkswagen...r%20bolt%20kit
This kit in conjunction with some Audi bolts is said to fix the problem for good. The only problem is you will eliminate most of your camber adjustment capability so if there are underlying problems with the cars alignment, these problems may surface once the kit is installed if the camber can't be brought back into the appropriate ranges.

Depending on where you live, you could bring it to Mizelle's in Norfolk, they've done alignments on multiple cars for me, or you could go to Southern VW and they have a special going on:
http://www.southernvolkswagengreenbr...ls/service.htm
Scroll down and you'll see the POT HOLE Special which is a 4 wheel alignment, tire rotation and balance for cheaper then most places charge for just an alignment.

Good luck either way!
Old 02-28-2014, 06:11 AM
GLHF

WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo

Originally Posted by Blue2turbo
Similar problems are documented all over the VW and Audi forums (I have a 2010 GTI) and part of the problem is the stretch bolts that are used when the subframe is lowered, removed etc. Also because these chassis' don't have camber adjustment at the individual wheels, a lot of times the subframe is loosened and the alignment adjusted and then the stock bolts are retightened, which because they are stretch bolts, they should be replaced.

My advice, you can do a couple of things, there are thicker Audi TT bolts that can be used in place of the stock bolts (can be seen here):
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4467071
However there are many who say this is only temporary and it will start to shift around again over time.

or there is the more expensive route (I just bought this kit from another forum member new for less then the sites cost):
http://www.tyrolsport.com/volkswagen...r%20bolt%20kit
This kit in conjunction with some Audi bolts is said to fix the problem for good. The only problem is you will eliminate most of your camber adjustment capability so if there are underlying problems with the cars alignment, these problems may surface once the kit is installed if the camber can't be brought back into the appropriate ranges.

Depending on where you live, you could bring it to Mizelle's in Norfolk, they've done alignments on multiple cars for me, or you could go to Southern VW and they have a special going on:
http://www.southernvolkswagengreenbr...ls/service.htm
Scroll down and you'll see the POT HOLE Special which is a 4 wheel alignment, tire rotation and balance for cheaper then most places charge for just an alignment.

Good luck either way!
Great stuff. I had no idea it was an actual issue with VW. My neighbor recommended I check out Mizelle's as well. I'll give them a shout, and check out the other hardware options you've mentioned. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:17 AM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

My wife's a3 has the TT bolts. Haven't had a single issue out of it.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:11 PM
Registered member

Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo

Originally Posted by WutupYo
Great stuff. I had no idea it was an actual issue with VW. My neighbor recommended I check out Mizelle's as well. I'll give them a shout, and check out the other hardware options you've mentioned. Thanks.
No problem, I know Mizelles has moved, but it's only around the corner from where they used to be.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:05 AM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

Also, if you need anything a3 related or want to sell it, let me know.