Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Speeding ticket

Old 03-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dc/dc dc/dc dc/dc dc/dc dc/dc dc/dc dc/dc dc/dc dc/dc dc/dc dc/dc
Default Re: Speeding ticket

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Is there an unwritten law of just how fast you can go on the highways around here and not get a ticket? Driving speed limit is clearly not safe- I'm not about to risk my life driving 55 on 64! Traffic seems to flow about 65-70 and I always figured that was safe from both a safety and ticket standpoint, until one morning driving around Indian River, BAM, car behind me flicks on his lights, and I get a ticket for going 70 in a 55. I couldn't believe it. I mean, not much I can do- I knew it was 15 over, but still, that's the typical speed of traffic, why should I be singled out? Is there some magic number the speed traps are set at where below it is "safe driver, let him be" and above it is "ticket the mofo"?
Generally, you are safe with 9 over on the highway, 4 over on other roads. This is not a guarantee, but those numbers are usually pretty safe.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:35 PM
1.6L's of N/A fury!!

mightyjoecivic has disabled reputation

Yeah believe that and you cant get a ticket from a trooper if he doesnt have his hat on...
Old 03-29-2008, 10:33 PM
Registered member

dc/dc dc/dc dc/dc dc/dc dc/dc dc/dc dc/dc dc/dc dc/dc dc/dc dc/dc

Originally Posted by mightyjoecivic
Yeah believe that and you cant get a ticket from a trooper if he doesnt have his hat on...
Go fuck yourself.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:31 AM
Registered Member

3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE

Is there an unwritten law of just how fast you can go on the highways around here and not get a ticket? Driving speed limit is clearly not safe- I'm not about to risk my life driving 55 on 64! Traffic seems to flow about 65-70 and I always figured that was safe from both a safety and ticket standpoint, until one morning driving around Indian River, BAM, car behind me flicks on his lights, and I get a ticket for going 70 in a 55. I couldn't believe it. I mean, not much I can do- I knew it was 15 over, but still, that's the typical speed of traffic, why should I be singled out? Is there some magic number the speed traps are set at where below it is "safe driver, let him be" and above it is "ticket the mofo"?
you better get your ass out of VA and get a radar detector or risk your life if you don't want to pay a nasty ticket.

But not knowing the judges is a good thing. Well that's unless your a cop, lawyer, or work with the court system.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:55 AM
Registered Member

BatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these parts

No one is being singled as "ticket that mofo", unless of course you are driving like an ass, then you are doing it to yourself. The cops and troopers are not always running radar, that is why you can go 70 sometimes and others you will get the ticket. Just because it is common for someone else to break the law and get away, does not make you exempt from the law.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:03 AM
Clutch Master

nnguyenc has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by NFCstang
Yes...90mph. Good luck
hey man...wtf? i took your advice and got pulled over for
reckless...i had to beg my way out of being sent to jail
Old 03-30-2008, 08:44 AM
green box is back!

DonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud of

Any info on where i can get my speedo Calibrated?
Old 03-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Registered member

sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr

Originally Posted by BatEclipse99
No one is being singled as "ticket that mofo", unless of course you are driving like an ass, then you are doing it to yourself. The cops and troopers are not always running radar, that is why you can go 70 sometimes and others you will get the ticket. Just because it is common for someone else to break the law and get away, does not make you exempt from the law.
The problem is that driving speed limit is not safe- drive 55mph on ANY highway, and you're going to cause an accident. Everyone speeds, everyone breaks the law, we're a culture of criminals on the road. If you pretend otherwise, you're kidding yourself. Driving 56 is no more legal than driving 80. If the state police have set a limit of "this speed is a safe and acceptable balance", I'd like to know it so I can maintain the speed they feel is safe and acceptable. Considering a trooper who patrols the stretch I drive everyday has posted in this thread, I figured it was a good time to ask.

I don't drive like an ass, and I don't drive at unsafe speeds. But every other year or so, I get a ticket for driving what's a reasonably safe speed (in this case, 70 on a 6-lane limited access freeway where that's right around the 85th percentile.) I don't fight it when I'm ticketed- I knew full well what I was doing and just suck it up and pay my road tax, but I still get pissed about getting ticketed for driving a reasonable and safe speed. For the record, I've set my cruise control at 65 after that ticket, so don't act like I'm trying to justify driving like a maniac. Yes, I'd prefer to cruise at 80-90 when traffic is light, but I can't afford that, so I stick to 65.

I'm curious about calibration, too- the speedo in my new car is reading 3mph faster than my wife's car at highway speeds, so one (or both) of them is wrong. Would be nice to know for sure.

Last edited by sjfehr; 03-30-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:45 PM
Dbl Clutch

TurbohSrt4 has disabled reputation

Look at the time u got it end of the month your probably just part of the quota man sorry to say keeps revenue up
Old 03-31-2008, 05:14 AM
teamULTRASPEED

C45P312 C45P312 C45P312 C45P312 C45P312 C45P312 C45P312 C45P312 C45P312 C45P312 C45P312

Originally Posted by jdmsijdm
if you get a lawyer, and on the day of court your lawyer asks for proof that the officers speedometer was correctly calibrated at the time of the ticket, and he does not have that proof, which he won't, then the judge will dismiss this, and you win.
If he gets a lawyer for a non-reckless ticket, then he's a dumbass.

Originally Posted by SMOKEYBEAR
I wouldn't bank on the officer or Trooper not having his or her calibration. Any officer that paces cars with his patrol vehicle to write speeding tickets "lives and dies" by the car calibrations. Sure there's a chance, but if thats your defense..it's a long shot at best. I have every calibration from every cruiser I have ever driven. I have ten years with VSP. The code of Va requires the patrol vehicle to be calibrated once a year. Each calibration is good for a year via the code, but most departments do it twice a year.
^ I'd listen to this guy. He knows Blah.

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket