Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Question for NORTHROP GRUMMAN employees

Old 11-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask
Default Re: Question for NORTHROP GRUMMAN employees

Originally Posted by 98formulaLS1
RF engineer. Whats the name of this company that you offered you a better salary?
Measurement Specialties in hampton (other side of 664). Design a wide variety of things. Everything from motion sensors for GM down to magnetic sensors for raytheon. Job suits me as I can design something, walk into the machine shop and either watch them make it or make it myself. Have tons of cool toys here we get to play with too; laser cutters, 5 axis CNC mills and lathes, polarizing tables (115k volts!), EB welders. . . pretty much full access to it. Company also does 100% tuition re-imbursement for under grad and grad students up to a B (I think 50% for a C, and nothing there after). Also pay for books AND travel to and from school. If it feels like I'm pitching them to you, its because I am. I absolutely love it here.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Originally Posted by Chris G.
What is the starting pay at NG?
Depends on the position. For engineers its 45 up to 54. I think its like 33 or 34 up to 38 for designers.

Last edited by RandomTask; 11-12-2007 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:47 AM
STi Round I

Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G.

Originally Posted by RandomTask
Depends on the position. For engineers its 45 up to 54. I think its like 33 or 34 up to 38 for designers.
How does one get into a design position?????
Old 11-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Registered member

Originally Posted by Chris G.
How does one get into a design position?????
NG is actually pushing to hire 800 designers for the new boat they're making (new aircraft carrier), so best bet is to apply. You're going to need some sort of CAD experience (Auto CADD, Inventor, Catia, Solid Works) Basically you need to get hired on somewhere dirt cheap (around $10-12 an hour) to get some experience and learn as much as you can.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD

Yeah from the rumors, the shipyard is in need big time of designers... that is why I put my resume in for a lot more than I make now. If I dont get a call... I wont cry.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86

what type of GPAs do they expect from fresh grads or co-ops for mechanical and electrical engineers?
My "right under 3" was a little on the low side apparently.

Last edited by Silverbullet86; 11-12-2007 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Registered member

What? '2' is not 'right under 3' From my talking to recruiters, most actually don't like 4.0's and brainiacs. They like people with a personality (go figure) Where did you go to school?
Old 11-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Drink Up, Chumps

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Originally Posted by Silverbullet86
what type of GPAs do they expect from fresh grads or co-ops for mechanical and electrical engineers?
My "right under 3" was a little on the low side apparently.
Do you have any experience?

I don't even put my GPA down.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:06 PM
yeah tip assist!

Uncle Tattoo Uncle Tattoo Uncle Tattoo Uncle Tattoo Uncle Tattoo Uncle Tattoo Uncle Tattoo Uncle Tattoo Uncle Tattoo Uncle Tattoo Uncle Tattoo

i actually started at NGNN almost 4 years ago fresh out of Triangle Tech (kinda like ITT but based in Pittsburgh). i actually hadn't even graduated yet when they offered me the position, so its not hard to get in. then again i came in as an associate designer and am still waiting for my designer promotion this coming year
Old 11-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86

Random Task: I'm not done with school yet. I goto ODU. I went to a job fair a few months ago, and i realized if i dont put my GPA down, the first thing they do is ask what it is lol.

And ya, im not suprised they dont look for 4.0 students. When I talked to Locheed Martin reps, they said GPA was simply just a number and hardly mattered. NG seemed to be a little more anal about the GPA to me.

Blah: ya, i have had some real work exp. I've ran a drafting dept at a company for a year.

what the hell is a designer? I was under the impression a desginer was a design engineer that sat in a room crunching differential equations all day long..?

Last edited by Silverbullet86; 11-12-2007 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Question for NORTHROP GRUMMAN employees