Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Poquoson/York/Suffolk

Old 07-24-2007, 05:16 AM
superuser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd
Default Re: Poquoson/York/Suffolk

I know the dentist in Poquoson. My little brother grew up with his son, saw him just a few weeks ago. Good people.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:44 AM
Registered Member

Trookie is an unknown quantity at this point

What's his name? I'd love to pick his brain a little before applying for the scholarship.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:02 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Donald Taylor.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:04 AM
$Level$

Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich

My dentist is in Poquoson............three generations deep, good people.

For three generations Hunt family has made local teeth its business
Sons often follow in their fathers' footsteps when it comes to the family business. And in one Poquoson family, sons have been following their fathers' footsteps for 73 years. That 73-year "walk" began with Dr. John F Hunt Jr., a doctor of dentistry, in 1924. He started his 56 years of practice, however, in Hampton, according to his son, Dr. John F. Hunt III. That, Dr. John III said, was due to the fact there was no electricity in Poquoson. So Dr. John Jr. waited for electricity to come to the city before making his move. Dr. John Jr. made that move in 1925, setting up practice in an office his father, John F. Hunt Sr., a carpenter, had built at the corner of Little Florida Road and Poquoson Avenue. For the next 45 years, Dr. John Jr. practiced alone. As a matter of fact, "at one time, he was the only dentist in York County, " his son said. Then, in 1960, he was joined by the next generation of Hunt dentists. After graduating from the Medical College of the Virginia School of Dentistry, Dr. John III became part of his father's practice. For the next 20 years, father and son made the teeth of Poquoson and York County their business. But in 1974, they moved from the small office on Poquoson Avenue to the practice's current location on Wythe Creek Road. Then, in 1960, the elder Dr. John retired and his son took over the practice on his own. Dr. John III only had to wait nine years, however, for a partner, or rather two. He laughs when he talks about how he ended up with an 'extra' partner.
"I always tell people I sent for one and got back two." The two he's referring to are his son Dr. William "Bill" Hunt and his daughter-in-law, Dr. Dawn Hunt. According to Dr. Bill, he and Dr. Dawn met and started dating during their freshmen year at dental school in Charleston, S.C. Then, in January 1989, in their senior year, they were married. Both Dr. Bill and Dr. Dawn admit to an early interest in their choosen professions. "Growing up at the office, I had a interest in it. I think I was about 5 when I figured out what I was going to do," Dr. Bill said. "He started talking about it all the time," his father added. "The thing is, you're around it so much, you gain a respect for it," Dr. Bill said. And he said, he gained "much respect" for his father and his grandfather. So becoming a dentist "was the thing to do." Dr. Dawn was in the ninth-grade when she began showing an interest in the "dental field." "It was when I started to get braces that I looked into it." While taking health occupation in high school, she worked for a dentist and found she liked it. The dentist hired her and trained her "and I worked as a dental assistant all through high school, college and during all my breaks." The dentist she worked for, would tease her, Dr. Dawn said. "He told me "You don't want to be a dentist. Marry one" and I said "No, I want to be a dentist" I did both," she added with a smile. After dental school, Dr. Dawn joined her father-in-law's practice, while Dr. Bill joined the Army. Because he had attended Virginia Military Institute for his undergraduate degree, he had a three-year commitment.
After completing that commitment in 1992, Dr. Bill began practicing full-time with his father and wife. It's something, he said, he'd planned to do for a long time. There is, he said, "a lot of enjoyment when we're all down here together. It's kind of a lonely feeling" when one of the three is working alone. "And before the kids came down," Dr. John III said, "it was the same," for him. The dentistry 'business,' Dr. John III said, has changed from when he first began practicing. "The focus on prevention is a whole lot greater now. We're probably the most prevention-oriented profession," around, he pointed out. What the Hunts enjoy most about their profession, Dr. Dawn said, is that they're able to help others. "It's a good feeling to know we can comfort someone and ease them through something they're generally anxious about, It's a good feeling," Dr. Dawn said, "when they leave and have had a pleasant experience. "It's particularly important with children during their first visit, because you can "mould" the kind of patient they'll be and how they feel about dentists for the rest of their life," she said. Dr. Bill agreed, adding that "it makes you feel good to help change people's appearances and make them happier so they smile more." And for 73 years, through three generations, the Hunts have been doing just that.

Cliff Notes:
The only dentists that my kids have not freaked out over.
Nice practice
Friendly people (couple hotties)
Asian friendly

Last edited by Rich; 07-24-2007 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:55 AM
Thig Digged

ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq

Dont move to poquoson. No Ni66erz allowed.

JK, people have a bad misconception of the city. Check out the stats for the 3 cities you're interested, you'll notice that York and Poquoson far exceed Suffolk in every category.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

That's a good article. Working for a year or two in Poquoson/York isn't looking so bad. I could learn a lot from working as an associate under a mentor before starting my own practice. And I could easily commute to Va Beach on the weekends for fun. Thanks for all the info.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:38 AM
superuser

As a dentist, why would you consider Suffolk in the first place? There are like 3 teeth total there.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:44 AM
$Level$

Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich

Originally Posted by 65-SpyderGT
As a dentist, why would you consider Suffolk in the first place? There are like 3 teeth total there.
Yeah, but it is spread among three people. Three separate visits to charge for.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

Haha ain't that the truth. The scholarship has a list of locations where I can choose to practice. All of these places have a major shortage of dentists.

Tazewell, Warren, Washington (NOT DC), Bristol, Westmoreland, Wise/Norton, Wythe, York/Poquoson.

Actually Suffolk isn't even on the list. I don't know where I got that idea. I guess York/Poquoson is my best bet. Seems to be the closest location to civilization, running water, paved roads, diversity, and other things we take for granted.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm Kinda A Big Deal

MichelleHoliday has disabled reputation

i live in york county, and i love it...poq isnt as bad as it se to be and i think you would be fine there to, but if i were you just to be safe id go with york.

Quick Reply: Poquoson/York/Suffolk