VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   757 (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/757-14/)
-   -   Locating african cichlid (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/757-14/locating-african-cichlid-368495/)

phyber 10-26-2010 02:26 PM

Re: Locating african cichlid

Originally Posted by Visualimpact757 (Post 6661332)
Hey what's up? I know there are a few people on here that build/take care of aquariums. I been searching all local shops to find a cynotilapia afra cobu "orangeback cichlid" and everytime I bring up the name no one really knows what I'm talking about. Besides online I have yet to see one around. So my question is does anyone know of a good place that could get the fish? I've already checked animal jungle with no luck. Lmk if there r suggestions.

Maybe a fish like mine?
https://img5.imageshack.us/img5/2981/015kqm.jpg
i've had him just a few weeks in my new tank. Blood Red Parrot Cichlid.

When I google the exact name u listed, this comes up:
http://www.cichlidlovers.com/c-afra-cobue.JPG

which looks like a cross between a electric blue cichlid and a bumblebee cichlid....idk if you'll have much luck gettn a hybrid like that in shops. My petsmart just got a bunch of bumblebees in.

phyber 10-26-2010 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by sope (Post 6661623)
They are but unless your staying true to the region, I've had much success with mixing a
S.a. and Africans

Originally Posted by CARLLLLLLLL (Post 6662026)
Green Terrors are gorgeous! As well as Jack Dempsey's, if your looking for awesome colorations. But yes Green Terrors are South American cichlids.

when mixing S.A/ African cichlids, caution is needed. Africans are notoriously more aggressive, and will grow that way as they age. So even if they get along as young fish, that could potentially grow up to be agressive against the others. Jack Dempseys should be kept in a tank by themselves, or with fish you dont care about...def shouldnt mix with Green Terror

Oogie Boogie 10-26-2010 02:33 PM

I have a Jack and a Green Terror together and they've never once tried to go after each other. They live pretty peacefully.

phyber 10-26-2010 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by CARLLLLLLLL (Post 6662056)
I have a Jack and a Green Terror together and they've never once tried to go after each other. They live pretty peacefully.

Well that's always a plus. Sometimes attitudes can be different in individual fish, its good yours are cool with each other. I've always been told that Oscars and JD's are what go together.

Oogie Boogie 10-26-2010 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by phyber (Post 6662059)
Well that's always a plus. Sometimes attitudes can be different in individual fish, its good yours are cool with each other. I've always been told that Oscars and JD's are what go together.

Yeah I agree on the attitudes are different with each fish, its definitely true. I do have a big female albino Oscar in there as well. But ever since the male Oscar died she wants to make any new addition I try to add, dinner :( So they only thing Ive added since is one of those Convicts, and that thing is really cool. In that tank alone is the Oscar, the Jack, Green Terror, Silver Dollar, Convict, and this silver catfish (hes cool because his feelers are SUPER long) oh and one of those cute spotted Rafael catfishes!

phyber 10-26-2010 03:13 PM

ive been eyeing the tank of Convicts at my pet store....ive held off becuase they're very young, and don't look too colorful...

the stripes are barely visible...and in google pics i usually see a hint of blue/purple. i dont see it yet

I might pick one up. It's between that or a green terror.

Oogie Boogie 10-26-2010 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by phyber (Post 6662134)
ive been eyeing the tank of Convicts at my pet store....ive held off becuase they're very young, and don't look too colorful...

the stripes are barely visible...and in google pics i usually see a hint of blue/purple. i dont see it yet

I might pick one up. It's between that or a green terror.

Get both! My convict has that beautiful blue/purple hint and when he hits a certain angle of light he looks AWESOME.

phyber 10-26-2010 03:17 PM

i believe i mite get both

the GT's are also babies (maybe 2" long) and are pretty much ugly lol. i can see the pattern on the nose coming out, but they're just a dark green now

3Point5SE 10-26-2010 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Daft Punk (Post 6661363)
Thread title is misleading. I thought OP was looking for a missing African Child.

I glad I'm not the only one... now I won't feel like I'm a racist inside.

Oogie Boogie 10-26-2010 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by phyber (Post 6662141)
i believe i mite get both

the GT's are also babies (maybe 2" long) and are pretty much ugly lol. i can see the pattern on the nose coming out, but they're just a dark green now

Convicts dont get very big so dont expect the size to be huge. The guy told me that the one I have is pretty much full grown and he might be 3" long so yeah. As for the Green Terror those get a little size to them, and they are rather dull to begin with but you will be excited to watch them grow and change, their colors get better and better.