Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Housing situation, near Langley AFB?

Old 06-20-2013, 02:59 AM
Beefcastle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kabylewolf has disabled reputation
Default Housing situation, near Langley AFB?

So I'm headed out there in a couple months. I decided I'll pick the brains of the locals as opposed to listening to military members (who are... generally misguided and wrong).

I'm looking for the cheapest apartments available. Those in the locale where traffic won't be too big of a concern towards base. However, I'd probably be willing to accept 20-30mins of traffic (less is better).

I've also been warned about bag neighborhoods, however I don't know what is and isn't.

I don't care about being the one white dude in a predominately black neighborhood (apparently that's a reoccurring theme people keep telling me to avoid).

Any tips, or advice would be greatly appreciated! Including decent websites (quick google search yielded the same listings in the top 5 links).

Also if anyone is looking for a roommate to split rent. HEY HEY HEY!

Thanks a bunch guys, really appreciate it.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:22 AM
HAM

Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat
Default Re: Housing situation, near Langley AFB?

Originally Posted by Kabylewolf
who are... generally misguided and wrong
hahaha. I'm sure you'll get different advice here depending on the persons background but fwiw, here's my opinion.

You're mainly looking at hampton, newport news and poquoson.

Hampton - worst of the 3 from a general point of view. There are some decent areas and apartments there, but you're still traveling through hampton itself. A friend of mine used to live at "The Township of Hampton Woods" off Coliseum drive. Those aren't bad and they are close to langley, but again, it's in hampton.

Poquoson - 90% white with a portion of that being good ole boys (whom I like). There are a few apartments/townhouses available here and most of the population are families or retired folks. If you want a quiet stay, look here.

Newport News - Depends on where, there are some nice and not so nice areas. I have a house in a nice neighborhood on one of the golf courses here. I'll send you a PM. Bonus for newport news, home of Team Home Depot who pretty much runs these streets.

If you're into cars and have something nice or going to get something nice while you're stationed here, I'd want to put the car somewhere you didn't have to worry about it.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:57 PM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

I don't even know where to begin
Old 06-20-2013, 07:32 PM
carebearreps

pedro 2.0 pedro 2.0 pedro 2.0 pedro 2.0 pedro 2.0 pedro 2.0 pedro 2.0 pedro 2.0 pedro 2.0 pedro 2.0 pedro 2.0

Originally Posted by Heat
hahaha. I'm sure you'll get different advice here depending on the persons background but fwiw, here's my opinion.

You're mainly looking at hampton, newport news and poquoson.

Hampton - worst of the 3 from a general point of view. There are some decent areas and apartments there, but you're still traveling through hampton itself. A friend of mine used to live at "The Township of Hampton Woods" off Coliseum drive. Those aren't bad and they are close to langley, but again, it's in hampton.

Poquoson - 90% white with a portion of that being good ole boys (whom I like). There are a few apartments/townhouses available here and most of the population are families or retired folks. If you want a quiet stay, look here.

Newport News - Depends on where, there are some nice and not so nice areas. I have a house in a nice neighborhood on one of the golf courses here. I'll send you a PM. Bonus for newport news, home of Team Home Depot who pretty much runs these streets.

If you're into cars and have something nice or going to get something nice while you're stationed here, I'd want to put the car somewhere you didn't have to worry about it.
i'll echo everything he said
Old 06-20-2013, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

1uzme is infamous around these parts1uzme is infamous around these parts1uzme is infamous around these parts1uzme is infamous around these parts1uzme is infamous around these parts1uzme is infamous around these parts1uzme is infamous around these parts1uzme is infamous around these parts1uzme is infamous around these parts1uzme is infamous around these parts1uzme is infamous around these parts

Hello,

A few questions for you, how much are you able to spend? you're probably a SrA right so your BAH is $1365 a month.
How many vehicles do you own?
How many will be with you?
Do you plan to do DIY auto work on your car? Lots of apartment complexes do not approve of that neither do they of Jack Stand Racing.

Here is my $1.00 of info,

I currently live in a house in NN now but hoping to get one a bit closer like somewhere nice in hampton or Yorktown when I get back. As I commute to Langley and back the drive gets annoying. And my kids childcare is in hampton and so is my wife job. If you live in NN try the Kiln Creek area which is pretty nice for homes and apartments/townhomes. Stay away from anywhere in Newport News with numbered streets or near the James riverbridge. Basically the extreme western mercury blvd.

Yorktown has good neighborhoods for houses too and is probably the most expensive area for homes. As far as apartments go and good pricing I'd go with Yorkshire Downs, Falcon Creek, and Pines of York. Both quiet neighborhoods that wont beat you over the head on price and LAFB is normally a 5min drive away unless its during the morning and afternoon rush then look for it to be 12ish min.

I used to live in Poqouson...got my blackass out of there after a year with my interracial family, things always seemed tensed. And Im nowhere near the "stereotypical" as people would say it. I was a good neighbor and kept to myself and mingled with the neighbors who did accept us. But, I got tired of the looks and stares at my triple race son and my mixed race wife and me being black. I saved a little boy by inches from getting hit by a car and his grandmother came out cursing me with racist remarks and to get my black hands off her grandchild yada yada yada. I said "thank you" and went back into my garage. The homes are nice but some parts of it are still a bit behind the times.

I've lived in hampton area for 24 total years. Its gotten better especially the coliseum area and there are a good number of nice neighborhoods to live in housewise, not so much apartments. If you apartments stay on the coliseum part of hampton (5min from base) near Sentara hospital i.e. Township, Bridgewater, etc. If you can do townhouses you could possibly live in Michaels Woods or the place across the street from it. Stay away from places near downtown hampton, King Street, Buckroe, and Phoebus. Foxhill area is decent and "white" so is Lake Philips. I used to live in township for a short period of time. + for it is that they allow any dog breed no matter what! And they have a nice staff. A little pricy for apartments though but its nothing really wrong with them. Township was nice but parking is limited.

My fav so far has been Yorktown, Hampton, Newport News, then Poqouson (mosquitos and rednecks made the house prices not worth it!). If you do go with apartments stay away from Weinstein properties and check out the apartments late friday and saturday nights to see how it really is.

Best bet for someone with nice stuff is to get a home with a garage (rent or buy).

I know you will get a lot of recommendations from other Air Force members from LAFB who kinda know the area but they usually just lump up the whole area as ghetto which isnt true, this isnt Norfolk lol. I know the area very well and my mother has it in with a lot of the property owners of the Hampton area, so I know what apartments are yay or nay in Hampton.

PM with any questions. Hope this helps!

-James

Last edited by 1uzme; 06-20-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:50 AM
CrossFit KILLS

Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r

Move to Virginia Beach.

Everywhere else it gets pretty dark outside.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:57 AM
Uno Mas

p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone

Originally Posted by Pharm0r
Move to Virginia Beach.

Everywhere else it gets pretty dark outside.
It's always cloudy in Green Run.

Suffolk is pretty quiet, good value for the money, and just over the Monitor Merrimac. Don't rule it out.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:12 AM
Audi Fan

keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz

Definately find out where those bag neighbourhoods are, I'd help but I am in the military and therefore misguided and genrally wrong.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:41 PM
FACK YER ESS PEE OHH

all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's

Originally Posted by Kabylewolf

I don't care about being the one white dude in a predominately black neighborhood (apparently that's a reoccurring theme people keep telling me to avoid).
Fuck that.

Move in...act fucking nuts.. carry weapon= they WILL NOT fuck with you...
Old 07-16-2013, 05:28 PM
LXRY STI

SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik

Originally Posted by keefboz
I'd help but I am in the military and therefore misguided and genrally wrong.
LOL! I was going to say that too. I guess 7 years isn't enough

Quick Reply: Housing situation, near Langley AFB?