VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   757 (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/757-14/)
-   -   757 exhaust laws??? (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/757-14/757-exhaust-laws-138364/)

jgporsche 05-05-2006 02:37 PM

757 exhaust laws???

I've been hearing about how people get tickets for "modified"/loud exhausts. I drive all through hampton, NN, williamsburg, and Va Beach in a BRIGHT yellow Porsche. I have NO cat and NO muffler. It's just a straight 3" pipe coming off of the turbo. I haven't had a cop look at me twice. YES, it is VERY loud.

I know Va state inspections require both a muffler and cat, but what are the actual rules for exhausts? Who says it can't be larger than stock, or how in the hell can a cop say it's "not stock" They don't have a list of exhaust specs on cars. My original exhaust on my Porsche was TERRIBLY rusted and needed to be replaced when i bought the car. So because I got a new exhaust, wouldn't that fall into a "it's not stock" dilemma?

Lestar 05-05-2006 02:55 PM

Re: 757 exhaust laws???

Anything other than stock IS ILLEGAL.

doughboy415 05-05-2006 02:58 PM

what a trooper told me was if you replace it, it has to be oem. I live in nc and they try to get me with all those BS equipment laws, to low, exhuast, taillights clear turn signals etc., but I quickly remind them thats all legal down here. I used to live in Va, got tired of tickets and the harassment so I moved to NC.where they get you is, your aftermarket exhaust willpass inspection because its a muffler, but once you hit the street its not oem,so its illegal. checkout the inspection hand book maybe 3" thick, then checkout the book the troopers use, 2 of them about 8" thick:cool:

BanzaiWRX 05-05-2006 03:18 PM

you have a porsche. they aren't going to pull you over unless you're going warp nine.

those of us that drive 'less superior' cars can get pulled over in our driveways.

jgporsche 05-05-2006 04:18 PM

That's not true, I was pulled over doing 60 in a 55, and I had JUST bought my red porsche 5 hours earlier.

diggity dave 05-05-2006 04:21 PM

yeah if it is not factory they can be a ass and pull u

150PLUS 05-05-2006 04:26 PM

We all know that Virginia has a law basically saying anyaftermarket exhaust is illegal. Recently I ran into a guy who said that SEMA had stepped in and that the law was under review and was not supposed to being enforced. I am looking on SEMA's web page for that info but ran across this:

Issue: Exhaust
Bill: HB 366 / SB 712
Description: Reinserts language requiring an exhaust system to be "of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment."
Author: Delegate Carrico / Senator Marsh
Intro Date: 06-Jan-06
Bill Type: Two Year Bill from 2006

Take it for what its worth.

SMOKEYBEAR 05-05-2006 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by jgporsche
I've been hearing about how people get tickets for "modified"/loud exhausts. I drive all through hampton, NN, williamsburg, and Va Beach in a BRIGHT yellow Porsche. I have NO cat and NO muffler. It's just a straight 3" pipe coming off of the turbo. I haven't had a cop look at me twice. YES, it is VERY loud.

I know Va state inspections require both a muffler and cat, but what are the actual rules for exhausts? Who says it can't be larger than stock, or how in the hell can a cop say it's "not stock" They don't have a list of exhaust specs on cars. My original exhaust on my Porsche was TERRIBLY rusted and needed to be replaced when i bought the car. So because I got a new exhaust, wouldn't that fall into a "it's not stock" dilemma?

Bright yellow porsche, loud exhaust, no cat, no muffler...noted

jgporsche 05-05-2006 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by SMOKEYBEAR
Bright yellow porsche, loud exhaust, no cat, no muffler...noted

????

MerF 05-05-2006 05:46 PM

He's here and there, claims to be VHP...but I have my doubts.