Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

1987 Honda XL250R Overhaul -- Pics Galore --- Minimalist's Garage

Old 08-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Band

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket
Default Re: 1987 Honda XL250R Overhaul -- Pics Galore --- Minimalist's Garage

yay updates!!!!

page snipe
Old 08-22-2010, 06:41 AM
E for Engourged.

4BangerCivic has disabled reputation

And incase anyone is goign to say anything: yes, I am aware that I haven't installed the countershaft oil seal yet. (hehe.)
Old 10-13-2010, 10:24 AM
E for Engourged.

Finally identified the home this mystery "cap" that I had discovered in the bottom of my crankcase. It appears to be an oil gallery plug that fell out of the end of my countershaft. I need it to go back in and never come out. So, I'm looking for a local machine shop, repair shop, or gear head that will either:

Here are some pictures of the hole, the cap, and it's approximate relative size. Post a reply or shoot me a PM with ideas you have or places you know of. I could probably do this myself, but dont want to fuck it up, and would rather pay to have it done by someone who WON'T fuck it up.

HOllerrrrrrr.
      Old 10-26-2010, 03:49 AM
      E for Engourged.

Taking it to abacus this week to have 'em press a new one in w/ some locktight and create some burrs to hold it in place. DOnt trust myself and my makeshift home shop.
      Old 10-26-2010, 04:21 AM
      Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD

Originally Posted by jebsurf
      I call bullshit on this post! Someone with 0 wrenching experience don't use or own torque wrench's. Oh and more pictures of the clam.
      Trust me, he is limited.

Looks good so far sir. Glad to see you are turning a wrench
      Old 10-26-2010, 04:52 AM
      Band

paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket

ah-HA! so THAT'S what the hell that little cap was. gj
      Old 10-26-2010, 03:47 PM
      E for Engourged.

i'm having an incredibly difficult time finding this freeze plug/welch plug/oil galley plug. NAPA didnt have anything small enough (only 1/4 or 1/8), BapGeon was helpless, Sunrise CYcles couldn't help me, Honda of Norfolk failed.

I've resorted to searching for freeze plug sets online and asking individual sellers if any of them contain an 8mm or 5/16 plug. (preferably 8mm!)
      Old 10-27-2010, 04:11 AM
      Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD

Originally Posted by 4BangerCivic
      i'm having an incredibly difficult time finding this freeze plug/welch plug/oil galley plug. NAPA didnt have anything small enough (only 1/4 or 1/8), BapGeon was helpless, Sunrise CYcles couldn't help me, Honda of Norfolk failed.

I've resorted to searching for freeze plug sets online and asking individual sellers if any of them contain an 8mm or 5/16 plug. (preferably 8mm!)

Something that small would be part of a carb kit of some sort. I did a little searching around and found this for you:

http://www.rcpw.com/walbro-welch-plugs/615690.html
      http://www.odonnellsautoparts.com/se...ch-Plug/Detail

The OD is 5/16. I've had no luck in finding an 8mm.
      Old 10-27-2010, 06:34 AM
      Band

have you tried looking at a parts fiche to figure out what it is and whether or not you can order it from honda?

http://www.manassashonda.com/fiche_s...1987&fveh=4170

could you give me some orientation to figure what I'm looking at? which way is the front of the motor? is it right side up?

bottom left: is that the kickstart shaft?
      Old 10-27-2010, 09:31 AM
      E for Engourged.

Nick: Thanks for those links. I'm going to take the crankcase and my old plug up to abacus tomorrow and have them take a peek and decide whether my old one can be salvaged. Hate to pay $8.99 for shipping and $5.00 for a small order fee for a $1.39 part I can't seem to find locally. But odds are i'll end up ordering it tomorrow - lol.

Gnarly: looking at that diagram, the cap goes into the countershaft (2) right where the line connects it from where part #15 is.