Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

1987 Honda XL250R Overhaul -- Pics Galore --- Minimalist's Garage

Old 06-23-2010, 04:30 PM
E for Engourged.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4BangerCivic has disabled reputation
Default Re: 1987 Honda XL250R Overhaul -- Pics Galore --- Minimalist's Garage

There's an oil flow schematic in the Honda Repair Manual for this bike - but I onlyi have the Clymer's. Argh! I think someone on ADVrider has it though.

Maaaaail Tiiiiiime

Old 06-24-2010, 03:02 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

check the trans for any wear/damage while you're in there. worth the effort so you don't get it back together and have it popping out of gear or what have you. Look for any rounded edges of the drive dogs (the "teeth" and corresponding holes in the gears next to them) on the gears, and looks for any wear/damage on the tips of the shift forks. Even a slight bend in a fork will cause problems.

I don't believe I've ever seen a whelch plug in a japanese motorcycle motor, and I've had more of them apart than I could ever care to imagine. But I suppose it's a possibility.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:29 PM
E for Engourged.

Thanks for the post
Old 07-16-2010, 10:18 AM
E for Engourged.

Heading to my buddies tonight to replace all the bearings and put the crankcase back together. HOpefully get the clutch, flywheel, alternator, oil pump, and the rest of it put back on too. It'd be nice to have that done.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:02 AM
E for Engourged.

Popped the crank out, replaced all bearings, put the crank back in. We had a 90min hiccup while trying to ensure the crank & balancer were aligned properly - but we got it figured out...

...Since the balancer would drop into it's bearing easily, but the crank wouldn't - the two gears that needed to align kept coming apart. To fix this, we decided to press the bearing onto the crank shaft in advance, that way we could just drop it down into the case at the same time as the balancer - and nothing would come apart. Well, whoops, when you presss that bearing onto the crank - you cover up that hole needed for alignment

Lluckily we were able to get the bearing to pull back about .5" so that we could find the hole and use a liquid pen to mark the appropriate gear teeth.

At this point I just need to get the transmission back together and dropped into place before I can close up the crankcase. I tried to keep the main & countershafts together & in alignment when I was transporting everything to my friends house, but unfortunately they came apart and now getting them back together & placed properly is going to be a bitch. Oooooh well. I'm getting anxious. Once this crankcase is closed up I'll be super-motivated and will likely finish the rest up pretty quickly.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:52 AM
E for Engourged.

Got the main & countershaft's back together with the shift forks aligned properly and all that garbage. Will be placing in the case soon. Hopefully I dont fuck up the alignment

Old 07-29-2010, 12:15 PM
I like grape drank

Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican

Updates?
Old 08-05-2010, 02:37 PM
Band

paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket

Originally Posted by <©>
Updates?
PLEASE!@!!! and turn on your rep so i can +rep you
Old 08-09-2010, 03:41 AM
Cock of the Infinite

tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240

UPDATES! we DEMAND THEM!
Old 08-21-2010, 08:49 PM
E for Engourged.

OK OK OK fine. Sorry it took so long. Here's a copy from my update on another forum:

Well, they were ready to go back together, but when I attempted to reconnect the halves, everything went awry. As soon as I got the halves almost all the way together, I realized I forgot to put a gasket in (just a dry gasket, as it was a test-fit, to check to make sure the gears worked). So I tried to take it back apart real quick, but it was being stubborn! Turns out, the crank bearing got stuck on the shaft, the countershaft bearing came out of the crankcase completely, and the mainshaft bearing came dislodged.

I was pissed. Fuck.

So i ignored it for a week.

Finally fixed all the bearings (left the crankcse one on the shaft, as it turns out they come out of the halve rather frequently) last week and tried to get the internals installed again. Got everything fit just right but the main & countershafts weren't spinning freely like they should.

So today after much delay I decided to get this shit goin. Fiddled with the gear spacing and got them spinning freely. With some luck, got the casehalves togetehr for a test fit. Got the shifter on adn things sound OK.

Waiting on the A.OK from ADVRider before I grease up a gasket and close her for good.