Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Western Off Topic

Old 10-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris
Default Re: Western Off Topic

Originally Posted by Yep4doors
Also aimed whp projections are around 170 so i think that will be fairly easy to accomplish with changing over to carb setup. I may be getting my hopes up though
170WHP(close to 200 crank HP) with a B18B is going to be hard to do,regardless of what you bolt to the intake side.....Unless it produces positive pressure.Carbs are cool,but they're not going to magically pick up 60HP without a long list of other mods.

You're talking full cam/valvetrain build,higher compression(and associated other bottom end parts to turn it higher reliably),good header,etc.....And then it probably still won't make that much power.
For about the same amount of money you'd have in doing this once you factor all the parts,you could probably buy an ITR engine and make more power with a reliable,stock engine.
Ooooor,for less money just build a turbo kit for the B18B and make your target power or slightly more,and actually make some torque as well.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Go Team Marlboro

BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo

I have your clamps. Get at me so we can hook up and transfer some clampage.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:14 PM
2doors plus 2.

Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors

Well I wasn't basing all increased horsepower just on carbs, I didn't make myself clear my bad. It would probably get a decent cam header bolt ons etc, just guessing around 170. You don't see too many all motor b18b builds so with the carbs who knows I might lose more power than I'll be gaining. It's just research at this point looking for build threads and numbers but its productively gaining interest in my mind right now.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:33 AM
Registered member

ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995

Well I wasn't basing all increased horsepower just on carbs, I didn't make myself clear my bad. It would probably get a decent cam header bolt ons etc, just guessing around 170. You don't see too many all motor b18b builds so with the carbs who knows I might lose more power than I'll be gaining. It's just research at this point looking for build threads and numbers but its productively gaining interest in my mind right now.
don't go with carbs... go with a single carb. the weber 32/36 is plenty, and guys are making bonnets for them and running them with turbo setups now very comfortably
Old 10-23-2012, 08:52 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

ITBS.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:12 PM
2doors plus 2.

Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors

Hmm I'll take note of that
Old 10-23-2012, 06:12 PM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

The B18A/B heads just flow so badly is the problem.You can go with crazy spec cams and other bolt-ons and turn it to the moon,but it doesn't flow well,so it limits how much power you can make.The VTEC engines don't make so much more power(relatively) simply because of the more aggressive cam profiles allowed by the VTACZ,it's because the head flows better to allow the more aggressive cam specs to work.
And it's not just simply a matter of taking huge chunks out of the ports out and going to oversized valves to get the same effect.A fully worked non-VTEC head still just won't flow as good.You could go to the limits of compression(say 12.5:1 for 93 octane)with the best header and intake manifold setup,along with the craziest cam specs and possibly get to around your HP goal on a non-VTEC head.Those same mods on a C1 or C5 will get you around 220WHP or more.

When I had the B20 in my car I really,really wanted to make that engine make good power.It made in the neighborhood of 140WHP(Dynojet) with the mods I'd done,but I quickly realized getting to 180+WHP was a losing proposition.I'd spend more than what I spent on the C5,and maybe make the same power.

That being said,a non-VTEC engine with a loping idle and carbs would be really fuckin cool!I don't remember seeing what chassis this'll go in,but assuming it's relatively light(2200ish LBs),160WHP or so will be pretty fast,and a lot of fun.

Benn-I'm going to try to get away from work around 5 tomorrow.....I'll holler.

Last edited by TNGChris; 10-23-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:52 PM
2doors plus 2.

It's possibly going into a 87 civic if I decide to take the plunge on this project.

As for your input I greatly appreciate it and have a little bit better understanding of what I'm working with here. It's just making it all work. The main reason I want to go with the carb/motor/chassis combo is to by pass a handful of wiring that will make it work, but I know there is a handful of wiring that I'm going to have to do to make it work so......

Otherwise once I find a price for this civic ill post and let everyone know
Old 10-24-2012, 08:34 PM
Registered member

OMG Z34 has disabled reputation

Got a build update today. Hot side fab is finished and being ceramic coated this week. They are designing a new front crash beam before the cold side fab can be completed. Gauges and boost controller go in thursday.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:05 PM
2doors plus 2.

That is progressing faster than I thought

Quick Reply: Western Off Topic