Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Spraying oil :(

Old 01-25-2005, 12:51 PM
Ivy Tadita

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Spraying oil :(

Originally Posted by elementalwindx
you don't use rtv on front cover and oil filter housing gaskets. but on the water pump yes I did, and its sealed quite nicely now that all that old gasket is gone Wood chizzles are the best.
wasnt referring to those.. I was referring to your oil pan.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:56 PM

elementalwindx has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by cootees
wasnt referring to those.. I was referring to your oil pan.
oh yea, i used RTV AND the gasket u buy from advance auto.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:35 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

more then likely, if you have a leak that is coming from behind the cover, it is one of several things, all require the teardown of what you did.

the oil pump gasket should have had some form of anerobic sealer applied to the gasket when put back on, the crank and oil pump seal should have some form of lube to the seal surface, and a sealant around the outside of the seal (i use indian head, from permatex of course) the oil pan, well, i dont trust the cork gasket that comes from felpro, sometimes you get a rubber one though, i use silicone sealant on a clean pan rail and block for that.

if oil is leaking from behind the cover, then it will get on the timing belt. you ever seen what happens to rubber when it has petroleum products on it for a period of time? with that knowledge...you ever seen the carnage a timing belt breaking does on a 4G63?

i reccomend getting it fixed. but what do i know

as for the senders, there are special sockets for them, most of the time you can fit a wrench on the flats on the base of it though. i got about ten sockets in my toolbox for most senders.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by fc735
more then likely, if you have a leak that is coming from behind the cover, it is one of several things, all require the teardown of what you did.

the oil pump gasket should have had some form of anerobic sealer applied to the gasket when put back on, the crank and oil pump seal should have some form of lube to the seal surface, and a sealant around the outside of the seal (i use indian head, from permatex of course) the oil pan, well, i dont trust the cork gasket that comes from felpro, sometimes you get a rubber one though, i use silicone sealant on a clean pan rail and block for that.

if oil is leaking from behind the cover, then it will get on the timing belt. you ever seen what happens to rubber when it has petroleum products on it for a period of time? with that knowledge...you ever seen the carnage a timing belt breaking does on a 4G63?

i reccomend getting it fixed. but what do i know

as for the senders, there are special sockets for them, most of the time you can fit a wrench on the flats on the base of it though. i got about ten sockets in my toolbox for most senders.

well i didnt see or feel any oil on my timing belt so thats a good thing lol
Old 01-27-2005, 11:27 PM
It tilts

AMDxp2000 has disabled reputation

may i sugest a few cans of engine brite and a spraying...escourt was leaking oil like a bitch....Apprently advance gave me a set of defective seals with a small ass tear that got MUCH worse...And does anyone wanna buy the escourt for scrap or one big ass rifle target...seeing as even magic city ford is scared that its lasted 98,890 miles....aka its gonna roll over 110 miles back to tripple 000's Funny..ford didnt think it last this long :P
Old 01-28-2005, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by AMDxp2000
may i sugest a few cans of engine brite and a spraying...escourt was leaking oil like a bitch....Apprently advance gave me a set of defective seals with a small ass tear that got MUCH worse...And does anyone wanna buy the escourt for scrap or one big ass rifle target...seeing as even magic city ford is scared that its lasted 98,890 miles....aka its gonna roll over 110 miles back to tripple 000's Funny..ford didnt think it last this long :P
Actually I used a box of gunk on the whole driver side as I was swapping out all the new parts, believe me, its as shiny as its gonna get down there lol
Old 01-28-2005, 08:21 PM
It tilts

AMDxp2000 has disabled reputation

Is it shiny like benders metal ass ?
Old 01-31-2005, 02:22 PM

Well it WAS shiny till today... that little leak coming from my oil filter housing....yea just got alot bigger..

I was on my way out from a customers house when I noticed a HUGE oil puddle leaking under my car in her nice clean driveway !!

well I drove my car the 3min trip back home, got it in the drive way, and looked under where the senders were and dear god it was spraying straight shots everywhere, and that was just at idle.

I put the car on my floor jack and jack stands, went to go take the senders off, and snap, with barely a touch of my wrench, they fell off the filter housing...yep...duno how, but they did.

I went and got an EZ out after freakin out and callin philip about it and got the thread out of the housing, went all over town looking for a similar thread, only to find one w/o a hex in the middle, its just smooth brass so I ended up using that and screwing both the senders back on *sigh*

I think I would like to make a SS line running from the filter housing to a remote mounted location for the 2 senders, does anyone know what fittings I will need and where I can order them from, to do this little project?

My only guess of how it could have happened was the vibrations from the bs removal which causes the car to vibrate like a mofo, I guess wore down the brass and made it snap. That is why I would like to mount the senders elsewhere and have just an SS line running to the oil filter housing. FC I'm sure you have a design right off the top of your head on how to do this

P.S. To clarify what broke:
Code:
Oil filter housing - T -Sender 1
                     |
                  Sender 2
between oil filter housing and the T, that broke. I doubt this will show up like I typed it with the spaces and all...

Last edited by elementalwindx; 01-31-2005 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:31 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

you wanting to make one line come off the housing, and have both the senders on that one line?

i thought those had one sender only, but i guess not from the way you are describing it.

the sensor broke cause it was a old shitcan....i doubt the vibrations did it. i havent seen any other BS removed cars do that.

basically, you will need some (braided stainless is best) line, 1/8" npt fitting to go into the housing, and an 1/8" npt "T" to screw both of the senders into, if you are wanting to do a remote location of them.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by fc735
you wanting to make one line come off the housing, and have both the senders on that one line?

i thought those had one sender only, but i guess not from the way you are describing it.

the sensor broke cause it was a old shitcan....i doubt the vibrations did it. i havent seen any other BS removed cars do that.

basically, you will need some (braided stainless is best) line, 1/8" npt fitting to go into the housing, and an 1/8" npt "T" to screw both of the senders into, if you are wanting to do a remote location of them.
Any idea where to get that stuff?

Quick Reply: Spraying oil :(