Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Spraying oil :(

Old 01-23-2005, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
elementalwindx has disabled reputation
Exclamation Spraying oil :(

Ok ever since I've did this balance shaft removal my oil pressure has been less than what it was before the procedure.

Before the procedure:
When I started the car cold it would go up to 100psi and settle down to 75 during cruise while hot

After:
When I start the car cold it goes to like 50-75psi and settles down to whatever during cruise while hot, but never less than I think 50psi

Before and After the procedure during idle of 800rpm it has sat at 5psi-10psi.

I've been leaving spots of oil in peoples drive ways since I've did the bs removal so today I took my car back appart and found one of the nuts came off the sprocket to the right of the crank with the timing mark on it, so I tightened that back up and that fixed 1 oil leak, then found that my crank or something around there is spraying very very light bits of oil, I noticed this by placing a brown clip board under the motor horizontal to the water pump, crank, and other sprockets, and noticed a semi-straight line of sprayed oil.

Also my oil sender units are dripping droplets of oil every now and then but I'm about to take those out and wrap some teflon tape around them.

But does anyone know wtf could have gone wrong with prodecure to make whatever spray oil, and has anyone else had this experience with the drop in oil press, or the oil spraying after doing the bs removal?

I used new seals for the oil filter housing where the stub goes, and new crank seals

P.S. I only did the front part, not the back.

Last edited by elementalwindx; 01-23-2005 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:55 AM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of
Default Re: Spraying oil :(

main seals? dunno but that sucks...
Old 01-24-2005, 09:59 AM
Ivy Tadita

cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough

You sure it is not coming from around your filter housing?
Old 01-24-2005, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by cootees
You sure it is not coming from around your filter housing?
no im not sure i cant really tell cuz it just sprays a very long straight line.

I got new gaskets for the front cover and oil filter housing.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:57 PM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

clean it up the best you can and do your best to tighten things up to stop the leak.. then it'll be easier to find the problem. the sprocket you speak of from the description sounds like the oil pump sprocket. hey, at least now you'll be adding so much oil you'll always have fresh oil
Old 01-24-2005, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by HighPSI TSi Guy
clean it up the best you can and do your best to tighten things up to stop the leak.. then it'll be easier to find the problem. the sprocket you speak of from the description sounds like the oil pump sprocket. hey, at least now you'll be adding so much oil you'll always have fresh oil
i've always had that adding oil problem lol. I thought my t25 was just so bad that it was burning it but i highly doubt that now lol. and yes I did tighten all the bolts I could find even more.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:04 AM
Ivy Tadita

cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough

Did you use some form of rtv sealant when installing your new gaskets?
Old 01-25-2005, 09:21 AM

you don't use rtv on front cover and oil filter housing gaskets. but on the water pump yes I did, and its sealed quite nicely now that all that old gasket is gone Wood chizzles are the best.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:41 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

why ruin the sealing effectiveness of a cut gasket with a sealant? most every gasket is designed to be installed dry. granted, there are several instances where i use a silicone sealant on parts, but that is only on certain things.

*edit* but on topic, its not that hard to figure out where its coming from. you just have to clean it off well, run it, and find out where its coming from. not that hard
Old 01-25-2005, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by fc735
why ruin the sealing effectiveness of a cut gasket with a sealant? most every gasket is designed to be installed dry. granted, there are several instances where i use a silicone sealant on parts, but that is only on certain things.

*edit* but on topic, its not that hard to figure out where its coming from. you just have to clean it off well, run it, and find out where its coming from. not that hard
Well I cannot really clean where the crank sprocket is because there is a metal thing blocking where the timing belt goes, and to get past that you have to loosen the crank nut thingy and take all that crap off which means I'll have to redo my timing and all that crap, and I just did NOT want to go that far lol. The only oily sprocket was that one I retightened that the nut fell off of. even though it still sprayed, I could not see where it was coming from exactly, those parts were clean and they were not getting dirty, except the oil filter housing sender which was dripping oil.

P.S. There is a new crank seal so I dont see why it would be the crank though :'( FC Why cant you just live in wilm and be willing to come help me out lol

also does anyone have any tips for removing senders? I tried turning it with my hand and it didnt budge..

Last edited by elementalwindx; 01-25-2005 at 11:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Spraying oil :(