Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Spotted red DSM pulled over in Vinton..

Old 09-01-2004, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
myclone2 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Spotted red DSM pulled over in Vinton..

Originally Posted by GaRn
hmm, i wonder how much the fee is.. would it effect insurance?
I dont believe it does since my ins doesnt consider it a "moving/safety violation". A light out or a no seat belt ticket yes. No front plate no.

Most ppl that even remotely like cars hate the front plate but its a HUGE revenue generator so we're stuck with them. Personally I absolutey HATE the front plate and would be willing to pay extra at lic renewal time so I wouldnt have to run it.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:47 PM
<3FreshieFresh<3

ZeRo_C0oL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by myclone2
and would be willing to pay extra at lic renewal time so I wouldnt have to run it.
I think that's a rather good idea... wonder if they'd ever consider that. Probably not.

Personally, although I hate front plates, I usually run them on my cars. When I convert to euro bumpers with european rub strips, then I'll get rid of the front plate--or run a euro plate (probably to match my regular license plate so at least it looks like i'm trying to be an honest lawbreaker) --9/10 cops wouldn't cut me a break for that, but my friends haven't had any problems running european front plates in Virginia.

Anyway... a lot of states no longer require front plates because a lot of new car manufacturers aren't putting holes/brackets in the front bumpers of the new models, so there's SORT OF a loophole there that will hopefully put an end to this law in the long run
Old 09-01-2004, 07:30 PM
Ivy Tadita

cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough

Sucks, yes.. but they are two tickets that I should be able to get dropped as long as I get them taken care of. Just don't want to put any holes in my front bumper. I may have to mount them in my grill or what not. Any law against that?!?!
Old 09-01-2004, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by cootees
Sucks, yes.. but they are two tickets that I should be able to get dropped as long as I get them taken care of. Just don't want to put any holes in my front bumper. I may have to mount them in my grill or what not. Any law against that?!?!
If memory serves me correct from the last time I looked over the DMV regs as long as the plate is mounted on the front of the vehicle so its viewable then its legal so in/on the grill would be ok unless you ran into a cop that didnt get his/her daily donut alotment. Not to rub salt in the wound but my county sticker expired two years ago and theyve never bothered me over that. Hell, Ive even went through the DUI check points at Feather Rd and Hardy Rd and they never said a word [shrug].

FWIW/FYI putting the plate on the dash so it can be seen through the windshield is not legal technically (BTDT got a t shirt). Some cops wont bother you but others will write you up (like roanoke county or vinton in my experience).

Like I said, Id be willing to pay extra to get rid of the front plate but Im sure some tree hugging, peace, love, hump a dolphin, baby on board sign having type would scream fowl cause its a "safety" issue or the cops would say they cant ID a car easily (ever had a cop pull you over from the front???) .

Last edited by myclone2; 09-01-2004 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:14 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

not pull over from the front, however it is easy to spot coming the other way.

from what i have been informed, it will be about four more years and they will be dropping the front tag law, but that is just police rumor (anyone who has been around cops for a while has heard that rumor for years, who knows if its true )

it makes it easier for a officer to ID a car when they meet it, hence the reasoning for the front tag. and yes, even at 100mph, you can read a tag, even at night. (theres a trick to it, mainly a mind game.... )

35 bucks plus court costs....last i recall it was 76 dollars, but it depends on the court areas as to the court costs.

BTW...the reason its illegal to throw it in your dash is because of the windshield. law states you can only have a clear plastic cover over the tag. glass doesnt count (nor is it securely mounted to the vehicle.)

ahhh well.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:17 AM
Registered Member

Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo

Plus, the front tag is where most cops aim the laser radar. They need something flat to bounce it off. One of the car magazines (Road & Track maybe?) did an article a few years back about which cars were the hardest to tag with laser. They showed that any car with a front tag can ge tagged.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:42 AM
Ivy Tadita

cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Cosmo
Plus, the front tag is where most cops aim the laser radar. They need something flat to bounce it off. One of the car magazines (Road & Track maybe?) did an article a few years back about which cars were the hardest to tag with laser. They showed that any car with a front tag can ge tagged.
Damn, I hadn't heard that. I was always told that it was easier to radar people that had a good glossy paint job for it to bounce back on as opposed to a primered or really dull car. Headlights were another thing they aimed for from what I was told. Never heard anything about them neeing to aim for something flat.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by fc735
it makes it easier for a officer to ID a car when they meet it, hence the reasoning for the front tag. and yes, even at 100mph, you can read a tag, even at night. (theres a trick to it, mainly a mind game....
LOL... if thats the case then bedford co and franklin co might need to upgrade their vision plan as I can count three times that they couldnt read a front plate in excess of 100mph. Well, thats what someone I know told me ( ).

Sorry, couldnt resist as cops around here seem to have the small town buford t plusser attitude and how dare anyone do anything they deem shouldnt be done wheather its illegal or not. Nothing like watching...uh hem... hearing about cops running all over the county looking for a "fast" vehicle and knowing they are thinking "theres no way anyone can outrun a radio" only for it to have happened....three times. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 09-02-2004, 04:44 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Old 09-02-2004, 08:59 PM
beep beep

Marie Marie Marie Marie Marie Marie Marie Marie Marie Marie Marie

FUCK VINTON COPS....if it was Officer Doyal i could help him out..he owes me a favor. but it wasnt that bad. At least it wasnt a movign violation...or else buh-bye license philip..and for me...HELLO GST...

Oh BTW are you guyz hiring Adam ..i'll be 18 in ...ohhhh 5 DAYS

Quick Reply: Spotted red DSM pulled over in Vinton..