Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Roanoke/Salem Area. Possible new performance& machine shop.Tryin to generate interest

Old 02-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo
Default Re: Roanoke/Salem Area. Possible new performance& machine shop.Tryin to generate inte

Originally Posted by ej1995
ok i'm gettin a few yes's and a few no's. from talking around the area with a few guys i've heard that if would be a positive thing.

this guy that built nationwide engines really knows his shit with just about ANY kinda car. my boss is an old chevy and mopar guy so his specialty is there with the older stuff.

they are looking for a bulding and pricing equipment currently. what we are kinda looking at is seeing if it would get enough business in the Roanoke/Salem area to sustain itself.

I'm thinking it would, but anybody else have thoughts?
There is a vacant shop on Apperson in Salem (a few blocks from the Apperson/419 intersection) that is for rent. Has only been built a few years. 3 bays, and I think the lifts are still in it, but I'm not 100% sure. Seems like it would be a good location.

No idea what they want for it, but I drive past it 4 times a day so I could get the number if you are interested....

Last edited by Cosmo; 02-18-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:58 PM
SAY IT WITCHA CHEST!

The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro
Default Re: Roanoke/Salem Area. Possible new performance& machine shop.Tryin to generate inte

Originally Posted by .Sarge.
If you want the look, sure go out and buy rotas.
i fucking love my rotas. i know they are "cheap" wheels, but my slips have held up great. and ive hit potholes/curbs out the wahzoo....lolol
Old 02-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Slappin Curtis

bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004

Originally Posted by TNGChris
Except for a small portion,the import crowd around here wants fartcans and Altezza tail lights.
The few that are into actual performance generally do the work themselves.Even all makes performance shops around here have a tough time,since the "performance crowd" in the area is mostly 17 years old and make minimum wage.It seems even machine shops that cater to performance have a hard time.
Chris
I agree Chris, and you know just as well as I do that it's hard enough to get someone to pay a respectable amount for a swap, or any kind of work on their car for that matter. Not only do we not have the demand to keep guys like me, you, and Darell busy, there is a lot of risk involved with opening a small buisness. That risk only gets higher when you place it in a small town such as Roanoke.

From a mechanics point of view I don't think it would be a good idea for the investors.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

diamondstargsx has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by TNGChris
Except for a small portion,the import crowd around here wants fartcans and Altezza tail lights.
The few that are into actual performance generally do the work themselves.Even all makes performance shops around here have a tough time,since the "performance crowd" in the area is mostly 17 years old and make minimum wage.It seems even machine shops that cater to performance have a hard time.
Chris
very well put chris!
Old 02-18-2010, 02:46 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

False.

A business like this would be a...

Invest all your moneys in it. If you build it, they will come. From Lynchburg, that is.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Registered member

ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995

well the main investor has mad money, lots of time, and is WELL tied in with the local auto parts businesses. i'm not gonna throw names out there, but he's pretty well known in the area. he makes more money in the stock market in a day than i make in 2 weeks. he's turnin some pretty high cash and isn't looking to make a killing necessarily, just stay afloat and have a fairly successful business and bring something to the area that isn't offered. he's already got several people that would be bringing him business with small and big block v8s if they open up. so i guess we'll see. i'm talking with him tomorrow on what specific property he has looked at.

good tip on the building Cosmo. i'll let him know about it. i'll be posting again once I find out some more information from the two of them.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

srt4hokie is on a distinguished road

Same with what Corey said too, I wouldnt let a shop touch my car, except for one because I trust the guys that work there and the person that owns it knows what he is doing and does it right the first time and stand behind his work.

/ shameless plug for Protocol Automotive

with that said, I generally do ALL work on my car less alignments and tires. :P
+1 for Protocol Automotive nut swinging.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

D1g1talV3n0m is a jewel in the roughD1g1talV3n0m is a jewel in the roughD1g1talV3n0m is a jewel in the roughD1g1talV3n0m is a jewel in the roughD1g1talV3n0m is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by BBYEvo8
Hi...your wrong guy lol
Hey boo berry.

Theres a reason for the price. Quality, performance, product developement and testing.
Price is not a determinate in the quality of anything much less the value of said item(s). This is a whole different discussion though.

ok i'm gettin a few yes's and a few no's. from talking around the area with a few guys i've heard that if would be a positive thing.

this guy that built nationwide engines really knows his shit with just about ANY kinda car. my boss is an old chevy and mopar guy so his specialty is there with the older stuff.

they are looking for a bulding and pricing equipment currently. what we are kinda looking at is seeing if it would get enough business in the Roanoke/Salem area to sustain itself.

I'm thinking it would, but anybody else have thoughts?
well the main investor has mad money, lots of time, and is WELL tied in with the local auto parts businesses. i'm not gonna throw names out there, but he's pretty well known in the area. he makes more money in the stock market in a day than i make in 2 weeks. he's turnin some pretty high cash and isn't looking to make a killing necessarily, just stay afloat and have a fairly successful business and bring something to the area that isn't offered. he's already got several people that would be bringing him business with small and big block v8s if they open up. so i guess we'll see. i'm talking with him tomorrow on what specific property he has looked at.
Everything you said is a key indicator that this business will fail and you and your "buds" are not businessmen.

I really thought about telling you guys everything that is wrong with what you've said but quite frankly I get paid for business and financial advise so I see no reason to hold a 101 Class here for you guys.

Your friends and yourself think you have all the ideas and the fact that you're even here discussing this is and asking for opinions shows your lack of knowledge or experience(s).

Enjoy filing for bankruptcy when this proposed business fails that is if it even gets off the ground.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

Mistu has disabled reputation

I live in wythville and a shop opened up a couple of months ago. They have a AWD mustang dyno and i have seen them tune some evos and stis
Old 02-18-2010, 09:44 PM
EDM|Mugen|MK3 CRX

.Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge.

Originally Posted by D1g1talV3n0m
Price is not a determinate in the quality of anything much less the value of said item(s). This is a whole different discussion though.
Generally speaking... if you do your research on what you want, you get what you pay for.

Quick Reply: Roanoke/Salem Area. Possible new performance& machine shop.Tryin to generate interest