Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

A possibly great event...or series

Old 03-09-2011, 07:14 PM
BATTLESTAGS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo
Default A possibly great event...or series

For the last year I have been putting all of my efforts into creating an event at a local (Radford, VA) venue. It would be a drift day / freestyle gymkhana. I want to get drivers that want to push their cars/skills and have a good time, and there would be no spectator fee. All I want to do is cover the track costs so that we can have a fun, legal venue that would incorporate drift, gymkhana, and grip to local enthusiasts without having to drive too far. This is a feeler to see how much interest would be gathered by RESPONSIBLE drivers in the area. I have to cover track rental, insurance. rescue/safety, and cleanup. I think this is a great opportunity for fun, promotion, interest, and hoon! -Legal Hooning. So if you would be interested in a speedway/infield based fun/drift/freestyle gymkhana event for 75 bucks, post up and let me know, so I can get an idea if this is viable. This is real as I am meeting with track managers and sponsors tomorrow for a walkthrough/brainstorm. Thank you in advance. -Woo

Okay, so as I've been working on this, I've run into some schedule issues. We wanted to have the event in June, but the only weekend open at the track conflicts with some other large events in the area and at VIR. The only weekend still open in July is the week after they have a monster truck event in the infield. I don't want any residue from the dirt, or a crash to affect the surface, so I believe we are going to move the event towards the end of Summer. Probably August or early September. Sorry for the delay, but as this is an event I that we want to make monthly next year we really want to have everything well organized for the first event this year. I just want to make sure everything goes down well with the track managers and that the drivers are happy.

I'm thinking August 27th, or September 3rd. Any input? I need to give them a date asap.

The overhead shot looks cramped, but there's a ton of space.

Thinking along these lines for a course: Drifting around the banked section and into the infield. For less experienced drivers you can opt to start the first turn on the inside of the wall (infield side) of the bank. Gymkhana set up would be the same with some optional drift areas and a 720 box or party circle at the end. Drivers' meeting, communication and track safety will be of upmost importance.

Some people have expressed concern about the transfer from the bank to the infield. Not bad at all. Here are some pics for detail...
Remember that if doing the bank you are entering from the outside, so the only transfer from bank to flat would be on entering the infield.

This is the one we would be on when entering the infield...

Also, the course layout isn't set in stone yet. Tim, Brandon, and I plan on going up there with the S13's and sliding it all to make sure what works and what doesn't.

Finally, looks like September 3rd is the date. I have a meeting tomorrow with the track managers and I will post up more details afterwards. Thanks for the interest guys! I hope this all can work out to be a fun event! -Woo

Last edited by TongWoo; 03-21-2011 at 05:22 PM. Reason: update
Old 03-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

BallinthaEF BallinthaEF BallinthaEF
Default Re: A possibly great event...or series

Hell yea
Old 03-09-2011, 07:37 PM
BATTLESTAGS

TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo

I have been working on this for almost a year. Not definite yet... but looking great. Wish me/us luck, D!
Old 03-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Banned

DURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these parts

I thought you were going to wait awhile to put it on here?
Old 03-09-2011, 08:07 PM
BATTLESTAGS

No details on here yet... but this is a serious possibility, so I need to see what people would want!
Old 03-09-2011, 08:14 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Which speedway?
Old 03-09-2011, 08:16 PM
BATTLESTAGS

Info will be made official once a definite date is set. It will be made to be fun, legal, and accessible. We haven't had any good events in this area in a long time, so that's what we're trying to create.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:57 PM
SAY IT WITCHA CHEST!

The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro

like i told you before, you know im down.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:58 PM
BATTLESTAGS

Originally Posted by The Nisbro
like i told you before, you know im down.
Thanks, bro. I think it could be some fun...and locally...finally
Old 03-09-2011, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

jdm ek 9 has disabled reputation

Nice we need something like this around here.

Have you thought bout sponsors to help with the cost? That way if its cheaper more people may attend it. Plus maybe a small spectator fee to that will help on the cost also.

Quick Reply: A possibly great event...or series