Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

The optimum tuning approach for a dyno?

Old 12-10-2002, 03:00 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeff Taylor has a spectacular aura aboutJeff Taylor has a spectacular aura about
Default The optimum tuning approach for a dyno?

I plan on taking my car to a dyno for some tuning within the next few months and I have been wondering what the best approach for tuning the engine should be. While tuning, I have full control of the fuel maps, ignition maps, injector blast off time (time it takes for inj to fire), water temp ign. adv/ret map, etc...basically there will be control over the parameters that most engine management systems allow you to alter.

Anyway, if it were as simple as adjusting injector pulse-width dependent upon air flow and engine speed, things would be fairly straight forward...however I wish to optimize the ignition timing map to compliment the fuel map.

Has anyone done any tuning in this manner before? I am assuming I should first tune the fuel map with the lamda meter & dyno to sustain optimum A/F ratios and power throughout the entire rpm range. After tuning the fuel map it may be benificial to try advancing or retarding timing in the high and low rpm ranges to see what effect it has on power.

It seems like most aftermarket ECU's for the sr20det advance ignition timing by 7 degrees at low-rpms and retard timing by 10 degrees at high-rpms. I am considering setting the timing to reflect these values and optimizing the fuel map from there.....

Anyway, I just wanted to see if anyone has any further tuning knowledge that they could share so I don't end up wasting more time and money on the dyno than I need to.
Old 12-10-2002, 06:53 AM
BOOST!

Goofynick6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry this won't help you at all, but where's the nearest dyno's to the c-burg and b-burg area?

Nick
Old 12-10-2002, 07:37 AM
Juiced PGT

probesport_gt is an unknown quantity at this point

Turbo Tune In G'boro is the only place I am going to dyno Nick....

He doenst charge Fixed for 3 pulls. He charges Flat Rates and pulls however long it take to tune it to his liking.

Ray pulled 6 times the last time he was there!
Old 12-10-2002, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

Jeff Taylor has a spectacular aura aboutJeff Taylor has a spectacular aura about

there's a new dyno in lynchburg now...and one in rocky mount.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

JS4KIKZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you tried Abacus Racing off of Baker Rd? I believe its $100 an hour for tuning and about $50 or $75 (cant remember) for 3 pulls. Chuck and Seth know thier stuff but why dont you give them a call and see what they say: 757-363-8878
Old 12-10-2002, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

marshall has disabled reputation

tune fuel on 460 with the wideband. tune ignition on 460 with EGT. simple enough.

now who is going to be the first to call this way 'ghetto'?

marshall
Old 12-10-2002, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, that seems like the best plan -- Tuning with the wide-band for an optimum ratio while keeping EGT's in mind for timing. At least then I can get it roughly tuned before I take it to a dyno.

Just got done ordering a quick-reacting EGT probe from Aircraft Spruce for $30. I think I'll solder up the LED display circuit for it tonight.

Old 12-10-2002, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

16g-95gsx is an unknown quantity at this point

When you get it in, I want to see how fast reacting it is. I want to compare it to my Apexi probe. Everyone says the probe at TRE is "fast as can be" so I want to see what a "fast" probe is considered to be as this is the only EGT gauge I have ever been able to witness.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:19 PM
Jerome LeBanner Fan

weavil has disabled reputation

Where is the dyno in Lynchburg?
Old 12-10-2002, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

sounds good. from what I hear about the probe, people say they can see the exhaust temp drop 200 degrees between shifts, then rise back up again...which leads me to believe that it has a slew-rate of around 200-deg per second...none the less, it is cheap and should be pretty accurate

Weavil - SCRAM Performance has one now, along with a wide-band. I believe they installed a setup that physically attaches to each wheel, unlike a dynojet.

Quick Reply: The optimum tuning approach for a dyno?