VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Western VA (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/western-va-17/)
-   -   In need of advice... (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/western-va-17/need-advice-476766/)

JacKal 09-24-2013 12:54 PM

In need of advice...

I know there are tons of threads about this type of thing. My situation is a bit different. I was on my way home from my work. I was speeding on I-81 near the 581 exit 90mph to be exact. I got pulled over. I'm not arguing the ridiculously stupid choice of going that fast in a 65Mph zone... Here's where I have trouble. The officer that pulled me over was in an unmarked SUV sitting on the shoulder. I saw the vehicle and paid him no mind as it was a Ford Explorer with a white cloth of some sort rolled up in the driver side window. I assumed (I know makes an ass of you and ME) that it was a disabled vehicle and continued at my speed. I'm not a VA native but that seems like absolute nonsense. Is there anyway to fight this on the circumstances he used to blend in? He tagged me dead to rights with the laser and wrote it for reckless. My driving record isn't bad I have one other ticket for going 13 over in Hampton. If that's not the way to fight this, What strategy should I use to get out of this with minimal troubles? Should I deny deny deny, or throw myself on the courts mercy? This ticket is for 24 over the posted sign from what I found online I'm looking at possible jail time. I really don't want to hire a lawyer and pay a crazy fee that costs more than the charge would. Am I going to end up with jail time over this?
Any experiences with the local laws and reckless tickets would be helpful.

Yardjass 09-24-2013 12:58 PM

Re: In need of advice...

Wants to get off, doesn't want to throw cash at a lawyer.:facepalm: Yeah, have fun with the butt poundings in jail.

Yardjass 09-24-2013 01:00 PM

Oh, and make sure to take a driving course. It might lessen the duration of time that you spend in jail being butt pounded.

JacKal 09-24-2013 01:01 PM

Not so much get away Scott free I'm not delusional about the problem but maybe plead it down? I've seen other people recommend Improper driving as a guilty verdict and it's not as bad? Where I'm from 90 wouldn't get a second thought our speed limits are mainly 75 even 80 in a few spots.

Computer_Nerd 09-24-2013 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by GerMINI (Post 8211785)
I know there are tons of threads about this type of thing. My situation is a bit different. I was on my way home from my work. I was speeding on I-81 near the 581 exit 90mph to be exact. I got pulled over. I'm not arguing the ridiculously stupid choice of going that fast in a 65Mph zone... Here's where I have trouble. The officer that pulled me over was in an unmarked SUV sitting on the shoulder. I saw the vehicle and paid him no mind as it was a Ford Explorer with a white cloth of some sort rolled up in the driver side window. I assumed (I know makes an ass of you and ME) that it was a disabled vehicle and continued at my speed. I'm not a VA native but that seems like absolute nonsense. Is there anyway to fight this on the circumstances he used to blend in? He tagged me dead to rights with the laser and wrote it for reckless. My driving record isn't bad I have one other ticket for going 13 over in Hampton. If that's not the way to fight this, What strategy should I use to get out of this with minimal troubles? Should I deny deny deny, or throw myself on the courts mercy? This ticket is for 24 over the posted sign from what I found online I'm looking at possible jail time. I really don't want to hire a lawyer and pay a crazy fee that costs more than the charge would. Am I going to end up with jail time over this?
Any experiences with the local laws and reckless tickets would be helpful.

quoted.

get a lawyer for any reckless ticket. your insurance rates will go up so much that the $400 for a good lawyer will be worth it.

plead no contest, offer no excuse.

if it were 80 mph, you might have gotten it reduced to speeding without the reckless charge, but 90 mph is 25 mph over, not something that is going to go over well in court. you'll likely be made an example of for others.

so, do you like scooters?

JacKal 09-24-2013 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Computer_Nerd (Post 8211820)
quoted.

get a lawyer for any reckless ticket. your insurance rates will go up so much that the $400 for a good lawyer will be worth it.

plead no contest, offer no excuse.

if it were 80 mph, you might have gotten it reduced to speeding without the reckless charge, but 90 mph is 25 mph over, not something that is going to go over well in court. you'll likely be made an example of for others.

that's what I'm afraid of

so, do you like scooters?
not particularly... Scooters are like fat girls. Fun as shit til your boys find out

Travis. 09-24-2013 02:55 PM

well when you lose your license theres a vespa at pepboys waiting for you.

JacKal 09-24-2013 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Travis. (Post 8211849)
well when you lose your license theres a vespa at pepboys waiting for you.

Really hoping it won't come to that. I shouldn't lose it according to the points system. Someone PMd me and told me to contact the ADA and see what he will offer so I'm going to try my luck with that tomorrow.

Yardjass 09-24-2013 04:50 PM

I can't stress the importance of a good lawyer enough here. Do not cheap out on this. You're talking about potential jail time or losing your license. Do you really want to fuck around and risk that much just to save a few bucks?

ufctapout 09-24-2013 05:31 PM

You'll be fine OP.

Confidence is everything.

Walk into that courtroom like you own it. Tell the judge you fucked his mother.

You got this.