Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

mountain biking

Old 05-09-2006, 05:35 AM
It tilts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMDxp2000 has disabled reputation
Default Re: mountain biking

Originally Posted by cootees
I did not ride it. He did not have the model I was interested in in the size that I needed. He did have the exact one I was interested for in the back needing to be put together though and generously offered to put it together for me to ride it the next time that I come in. However with me still looking around, not knowing fully what I am looking for I want to check into some other options and maybe get you to come out with me one day to look at what all is available before I make a decision.

Helmet.. yes... I rode a bike yesterday for the first time in many years and I can not forsee me trying to go over rocks without one.

You tryed to jump the curb and hit it instead......

Yea...he Road my Mesa GS and after looking at the paperwork....It is a 20 inch frame....

Minus the busted seat....and slight bent rim
Old 05-09-2006, 05:45 AM
Ivy Tadita

cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by AMDxp2000
You tryed to jump the curb and hit it instead......

Yea...he Road my Mesa GS and after looking at the paperwork....It is a 20 inch frame....

Minus the busted seat....and slight bent rim
Heh... wanna go with me to talk to your uncle today. I'm going to see about going back over there since we missed him yesterday.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:53 AM
Registered Member

Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo

I did not ride it. He did not have the model I was interested in in the size that I needed. He did have the exact one I was interested for in the back needing to be put together though and generously offered to put it together for me to ride it the next time that I come in. However with me still looking around, not knowing fully what I am looking for I want to check into some other options and maybe get you to come out with me one day to look at what all is available before I make a decision.

Helmet.. yes... I rode a bike yesterday for the first time in many years and I can not forsee me trying to go over rocks without one.
Yeah, I'll be glad to go. The main thing you'll notice is that all of the shops carry specific brands, so each brand will offer you a little more or a little less.

Cardinal has Giant, Specialized, and Raleigh. All three have a good range of bikes in all price ranges. East Coasters has Trek, Gary Fisher, Klien, and Lemond. Trek has some lower priced bikes, as does Gary Fisher, but in general their "lower priced bikes" are still $700-800 bikes. But, they do have plenty of used stuff coming in all the time, and they inspect their stuff really well. That may be an option for you. You can get on a little nicer bike for the same amount of money.

Just The Right Gear is a high end shop. They carry Litespeed, Kona, Intense, Surly, Santa Cruz, Cannondale and Foes. Out of all those, I think only Cannondale has a bike under $1000. But, again, he has lots of used bikes too.

The good thing about used bikes is that you aren't paying as much as you would if it was new, and also if you decide to sell it, you aren't going to lose as much because you don't have the big depreciation to take into account.

I also recommend you go over to www.mtbr.com and check out their forum and bike review section. Figure out which bike(s) you are most interested in, and then ask about them and read the reviews on them.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:57 AM
Ivy Tadita

Originally Posted by Cosmo
I also recommend you go over to www.mtbr.com and check out their forum and bike review section. Figure out which bike(s) you are most interested in, and then ask about them and read the reviews on them.
Excellent, I had been looking for a tire with quality reviews.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:03 AM
Registered Member

I use Kenda Nevegals around here. They work great for everything I ride. Mud, rocks, roots, etc...
Old 05-09-2006, 10:08 AM
It tilts

AMDxp2000 has disabled reputation

Heh... wanna go with me to talk to your uncle today. I'm going to see about going back over there since we missed him yesterday.
Sure....515-20ish ok.....done ran all my errands for the day
Old 05-10-2006, 04:49 AM
Ivy Tadita

Ok, I believe I have found the bike I am looking for. It is a 2002 K2 Competition Hardtail ZED 4.0. I read the reviews for the bike on mtbr.com and it has great reviews but all of the reviews are from 2002. Anyone have thoughts and opinions on k2 bikes?
Old 05-10-2006, 07:16 AM
Registered Member

K2 used to make good bikes. Their new ones are junk, if they even still make them. Luckily about 03-04 is when they started to go downhill. I think they were bought out by another company around then. The frame on that bike is made (I think) by Trek, which is a good sign.

I remember seeing a lot of K2 bikes out there (previously they were called Pro-Flex, then K2 bought them out) and a lot of people liked them. If it fits you correctly, you should be very happy with it.

Now, if I can just find a bike I want to buy...
Old 05-10-2006, 07:28 AM
Ivy Tadita

Good deal. I'll probably shoot for that one then. It does have some cosmetic damage, i.e. seat is torn up, It needs new handle grips, tires ect... but for the price I think it is feasable. Here is the link to the reviews Link

Here are the specs of the bike. Sadly.. this stuff means very little to me.
Frame: 6001 Aluminum
Fork: Manitou 'Six' Elite
Rims: WTB
Hubs: WTB Speed C2
Tires: Geax Roadster 26 x 1.50
Crankset: Shimano
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT
Shifters: Shimano Deore
Brakes: Avid Single Digit 3
Bar: K2, I believe
Stem: K2 with WTB bolt cap
Saddle: WTB SST.X3
Old 05-10-2006, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

Here's my take on it:

Frame: 6001 Aluminum - Good frame material, should last forever if it hasn't been abused. Check for cracks around the head tube and bottom bracket tube.

Fork: Manitou 'Six' Elite - Not bad, but not as adjustable as forks these days. But for someone light like you it should be all you need.

Rims: WTB - WTB makes good stuff. As long as they are trued up, they should be fine.

Hubs: WTB Speed C2 - No problem there

Tires: Geax Roadster 26 x 1.50 - This is the first thing you want to change. Those are not off-road tires. If you are using them on the road, you'll be fine. But if you want to ride trails, you need different ones. Something in the 2 - 2.1" width should be fine

Crankset: Shimano - Good

Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX - Good

Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT - Really good. The rear derailleur does the most work, so it's not uncommon for the rear to be a better model than the front. In Shimano, it goes (low to high) Deore-LX-XT-XTR

Shifters: Shimano Deore - If they are still shifting fine, they will be okay. You may want to replace the cables and housings anyways. That's the first thing I do on a used bike. If you don't want to pay a shop to do it, I'll be glad to do it for you. It's easy to do, but tricky if you have never done it.

Brakes: Avid Single Digit 3 - Check the pads to see if there is enough material left. Make sure you can still see the wear lines on the pads. The brakes themselves aren't bad, but don't have a lot of stopping power for heavier riders. But, again, since you are a little skinny guy, no problem.

Bar: K2, I believe - No problem.

Stem: K2 with WTB bolt cap - No problem.

Saddle: WTB SST.X3 - Saddles are a personal thing. You don't want a lot of padding. You want just a little padding. I ride with a split saddle (has a groove down the middle). Some people hate them, some love them. Spend several hours on it and see what you think then.

Quick Reply: mountain biking