VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Western VA (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/western-va-17/)
-   -   mountain biking (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/western-va-17/mountain-biking-138655/)

cootees 05-08-2006 08:53 AM

mountain biking

Ok, I know chad will be able to answer some of my questions... hopefully some others can chime in as well. I'm looking to get into the mountain biking scene for numerous reasons. I need some input on a good beginner level mountain bike and where I might be able to find one used or new around the roanoke and surrouding areas.

I'm not looking to spend a whole lot on one at the moment probably around $250 or so. I have been looking into some options recently online but I am new to the bikes and am more or less absolutely clueless on what I would need and a decent bike that would suit my needs well. Any input is greatly appreciated. :D

AMDxp2000 05-08-2006 09:10 AM

Re: mountain biking

Originally Posted by cootees
Ok, I know chad will be able to answer some of my questions... hopefully some others can chime in as well. I'm looking to get into the mountain biking scene for numerous reasons. I need some input on a good beginner level mountain bike and where I might be able to find one used or new around the roanoke and surrouding areas.

I'm not looking to spend a whole lot on one at the moment probably around $250 or so. I have been looking into some options recently online but I am new to the bikes and am more or less absolutely clueless on what I would need and a decent bike that would suit my needs well. Any input is greatly appreciated. :D

When you get off work swing by lilasiantsi mom's or meet me at my place...i have a few.....

Also my uncle works for Cardniel Bicycle and he allways is trading in bikes for other stuff.....i picked up my schwinn(sp) Rocket 88 for 700 bucks....back when they were MSRP at 1k+

Cosmo 05-08-2006 09:15 AM

Well, $250 isn't going to buy you much in the way of a new bike. Used, maybe. But not new. The good thing is there is a pretty good range of bikes available around the $500-600 mark. I know that's a little higher than you are looking to spend, but you really don't want to be riding around on a bike that retails for $250. They are often assembled unsafely, and use very cheap parts that won't last very long. I have seen many people go to Wal-Mart or somewhere and buy a cheap bike only to give up riding all together within a few weeks because the bike won't shift, or doesn't ride well.

Go to Just The Right Gear, East Coasters, Cardinal, or Peddler and have them fit you on the bike. They will let you try out many different models and sizes to see what fits you. It's not a one-size-fits-all thing. Getting on a bike that fits you correctly is the single most important thing. In fact, I'd much rather ride a $500 bike that fits than a $5000 bike that is too big or too small.

I'm actually in the market for a new bike right now and getting ready to do some shopping. If you want, I'll be glad to go with you and point you in the right direction.

cootees 05-08-2006 09:33 AM

Gary, let me see what our schedule is after work and I will let you know back. I know marie and I are supposed to have a childbirth class sometime this evening(maybe I can skip out on it)

Chad, That sounds awesome. I would feel a whole lot better if someone who actually know's more about them went with me. Without that I would be running through the shops like a chicken with it's head cut off. Although.. I feel that I will look for a used one just due to the fact that $500 is a little steep for me to spend on a hobby that I am not 100% sure if I will like it or not.

AMDxp2000 05-08-2006 09:38 AM

Gary, let me see what our schedule is after work and I will let you know back. I know marie and I are supposed to have a childbirth class sometime this evening(maybe I can skip out on it)

Chad, That sounds awesome. I would feel a whole lot better if someone who actually know's more about them went with me. Without that I would be running through the shops like a chicken with it's head cut off. Although.. I feel that I will look for a used one just due to the fact that $500 is a little steep for me to spend on a hobby that I am not 100% sure if I will like it or not.

Cool.......chad should steer you in the right direction but if you go on the notion to go by yourself...or with chad for that matter when you go to Cardinal ask for Robert....if they look at you funny ask for Bob than tell him gary sent you....

Uncle Robert has been on my ass for years to ride...just never got into it

And whats the deal with the childbirth class...thought it was like shitting a water melon..just PUSSSSH Marie...... :)

cootees 05-08-2006 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by AMDxp2000
Cool.......chad should steer you in the right direction but if you go on the notion to go by yourself...or with chad for that matter when you go to Cardinal ask for Robert....if they look at you funny ask for Bob than tell him gary sent you....

Uncle Robert has been on my ass for years to ride...just never got into it

And whats the deal with the childbirth class...thought it was like shitting a water melon..just PUSSSSH Marie...... :)

haha, yeah... I am still going to see about meeting up with you after work today. Maybe we can head over to cardinal and talk to your uncle for a bit. I guess that is really the first step I need to take anyways.

Childbirth classes.. eh.. I dunno... it's something Marie wants to do.. so i'll have to support her in it.

Marie 05-08-2006 09:48 AM

Childbirth classes.. eh.. I dunno... it's something Marie wants to do.. so i'll have to support her in it.

you can thank your sister for that....its gonna be fun with no meds...

ok back on topic

AMDxp2000 05-08-2006 09:51 AM

haha, yeah... I am still going to see about meeting up with you after work today. Maybe we can head over to cardinal and talk to your uncle for a bit. I guess that is really the first step I need to take anyways.

Cool Cool.....my uncle recently gave birth to his 2nd child and his wife choose no meds.....marie i encoure you to take as much as you can!

The pictures of her face left me thinking of a botched horror movie...

But on a good note..... you get an A+ for showing suport for your women....unlike some people on here "but honey...cant i just sit there with a beer can and watch you do all the work"

Cosmo 05-08-2006 12:13 PM

Yeah, my soon-to-be father-in-law is a very good customer of Cardinal as well. I bought my road bike from him, and when I go in there and tell them who the bike came from, they service it for free...

What you may want to do is talk to people and see if anyone has one you can borrow and test ride. I may know someone who has one your size. I can't recall right now how tall you are. That way you can see if you like it, and that may persuade you to spend a little more...

cootees 05-08-2006 12:24 PM

perhaps. I'm right around the 5'10"-5'11" marks.. somewhere around there. I'm heading to cardinal with gary after I get off of work today to talk to his uncle. Hopefully I'll get some good pointers from him as to what I need to look for and find out a size that will best fit me.

On a side note... after I get it, Chad you will have to show me some beginner trails.