Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Local and current shop to build an easy roll bar.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cox Abele has disabled reputation
Default Local and current shop to build an easy roll bar.

I'm interested in having a 4-pt roll bar bent and welded into my convertible. I had one shop in mind, but the owner is facing some health issues and will no longer be able to help me out. Is there anywhere in the local area that is willing to take on a project like this? The few places I called refused the job due to liability. The interior will be stripped and the top can be lowered, so it's going to be pretty easy.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:15 AM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris
Default Re: Local and current shop to build an easy roll bar.

What kind of timeframe are you working on?Is this your primary car,or do you have something else you can drive while it's being done?
Old 06-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

This is my secondary car and hasn't been on the street since July of last year while being tweaked. Given my personal assessment of the difficulty, this should only be a day's work, I just don't have the bender or confidence in my welding ability. Of course everyone's assessment may be different, but I don't see this bar being a pain to bend or weld in. I would like the project to be returned in under a weeks time considering how basic the bar would be. The car would be "delivered" with the interior stripped down. Plates would need to be welded in. Keep in mind, it's a convertible, so there is plenty of room to work. I'm looking for a something along these lines.

Last edited by Cox Abele; 06-04-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:55 PM
2doors plus 2.

Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors

Originally Posted by Cox Abele
This is my secondary car and hasn't been on the street since July of last year while being tweaked. Given my personal assessment of the difficulty, this should only be a day's work, I just don't have the bender or confidence in my welding ability. Of course everyone's assessment may be different, but I don't see this bar being a pain to bend or weld in. I would like the project to be returned in under a weeks time considering how basic the bar would be. The car would be "delivered" with the interior stripped down. Plates would need to be welded in. Keep in mind, it's a convertible, so there is plenty of room to work. I'm looking for a something along these lines.

I'm assuming that you drive a miata or s2000?

The car this is going to be on would help as well. If it is a miata or s2000 plenty of companies make bolt in 4pt. harness/roll bars that you can put in yourself if you're interested in that route.

IMO, it would be cheaper and less time consuming than having a custom 4pt. system put in.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Registered Member

The car is a 1998 Eclipse Spyder. I haven't yet found anyone who makes a pre-fabricated bar for the convertibles. A coupes will not fit. I am not requiring the bar to meet any class requirements, just that it will pass T&T inspection. The car is a 99% street car, 1% track.

Last edited by Cox Abele; 06-04-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Danny@respecgarage

RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE

I could do this but im probably a few hours from you. Im in gloucester, va 23061
Old 06-04-2013, 05:12 PM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Like was said above,if that's all you need,then a pre-fab,bolt in bar would be the easiest.Have you tried Autopower?Their site doesn't list your application,but I'd give them a call to see if they can help you.
I don't have a bender,but I've installed several of the semi-universal bars/cages that have the prebent hoop with lengths of tubing that has to be cut for the rest of the tubes.I only have a few hours a week I can usually spare for side work(I keep my welders and other fabrication tools at my dad's shop,an hour away,so it's even harder for me do much of that type of work),which is why I asked about the timeframe.
Honestly,take it to RE-Spec- all of his work I've seen looks fantastic.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

I have looked into Autopower and even contacted them. For a while they were listing their bars to fit the convertibles until a few people ordered them and found they will absolutely not fit. There is quite a bit of reinforcement in the back seat area that is different from the coupe, along with a narrower interior (which I'd like to keep). I've been staring at this car for a few hours now trying to figure out just how a bar would be best suited and am coming up short changed.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Registered member

OMG Z34 has disabled reputation

Sports car clinic on PCR has fully caged several cars.