Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Help removing a stripped bolt/screw

Old 10-12-2004, 08:14 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of
Default Help removing a stripped bolt/screw

Alright guys, when removing my rotors I have to remove 2 set screws on each rotor.. well I started on the driver side.. no go. I tried with a screwdriver and liquid wrench.. didnt budge, so then I used a ratchet with a phillips head.. stripped it of course. Alright, then I tried to drill and use an extractor.. that didnt work, the extractor broke off in the damn holes! tried to drill it out, dulled one bit, broke another in half. Then I bought a titanium coated high tensile drill bit, well it dulled that after a couple seconds to..

I CAN'T get these bitches out lol! I'm gonna try to notch it and torch it to heat it up and bang it out with a chisel/hammer, if that doesn't work what should I do?

I hate these screws...

Old 10-12-2004, 08:25 AM
Ivy Tadita

cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Help removing a stripped bolt/screw

You need an impact driver to get the screws out.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:48 AM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cootees
You need an impact driver to get the screws out.
Well I don't think that will work now hahaha! atleast not on this one.. I will have to buy a kit i guess..
Old 10-12-2004, 09:24 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

drill them with a 5/16 drill bit. it will take the head off, and when you beat the rotors off, you can take vice grips to the rest of them and they come right out.

impact driver to start with on them....or you will round them and cause that.

i use left hand drill bits while drilling, cause most of the time it will loosen them also.

*edit* didnt see the broken extractor part. you fucked up! tool steel > drill bits.

blue tipped wrench, and blow the heads off. beat old rotor off. install new ones. dont worrry about the screw with the new ones.

Last edited by HatefulMechanic; 10-12-2004 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:26 AM
DomesticImperfection

Hidalgo13 has disabled reputation

pb blaster seemed to work pretty well for me when i came across stuff like that, you can pick it up at advanced auto...probably other places too but i know advanced has it
Old 10-12-2004, 09:40 AM
Ivy Tadita

cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by GaRn
Well I don't think that will work now hahaha! atleast not on this one.. I will have to buy a kit i guess..
Evidently. Did you mess the screws up on all four rotors? If not, I've got an extra impact driver you can borrow if your to cheap to fork out the $15 at advance.

Last edited by cootees; 10-12-2004 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:57 AM
Registered member

Originally Posted by fc735
*edit* didnt see the broken extractor part. you fucked up! tool steel > drill bits.
yea I found that out haha.. cheap ass lowes extractor snapped the tip off like 4 times in 4 different places! that stuff is strong in a sense that it will not drill haha, but it sure wasnt strong doing its job!

phillip, I only f'ed up on one rotor so I will have to see about the other 3 haha..

Last edited by GaRn; 10-12-2004 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:02 PM
Registered member

I got it lol, i got a tungsten-carbide bit for my rotary tool and blasted that focker out..