Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

first gen or second gen safc? and diff install

Old 07-14-2003, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stirpicult is on a distinguished road
Default first gen or second gen safc? and diff install

i am back from training. 2 weeks out in the woods. but i have money to go into the car now.
first question is about the safc, for those that know. i found a website that sells the older version for about 275 new and shipped. i have no clue what the new one is running for but the same website is selling them for around 400. are the differences that great or would i kick myself for not going newer? also, anyone know of a place that sells the new ones for cheaper than 400?
last question, i have my m3 diff sitting in my apt waiting to get installed. rguy said he would help for some beer. who else wants to give it a go? anybody with a massing of tools?

edit: website... http://www.autocarparts.com/part/4/

Last edited by stirpicult; 07-14-2003 at 06:09 AM.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:26 AM
1505/2000

execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon

check ebay for pricing the 1st is very nice but the second has some intresting new features
Old 07-14-2003, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

16g-95gsx is an unknown quantity at this point

The Safc2 can be had for 300 shipped, so it's not much more. The benefits are that it has 12 fuel points instead of 7 likethe Safc, a lock feature with password entry, a different display, and the possiblity to log knock if your car is compatible. So it works just like the original, and really in my opinion the only real benefit is the extra 5 fuel points, which can help I suppose, but isnt THAT big of a deal as the Safc averages values in between points, so you wont have that much of a change overall, but it is nice, and isnt much more. The unit itself is also smaller and skinnier. They also made a limited edition version with white lettering on the display.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:39 AM

stirpicult is on a distinguished road

where can i get one for 300 shipped?
Old 07-14-2003, 12:18 PM
DarkSide

SOHC-T SOHC-T SOHC-T SOHC-T SOHC-T SOHC-T SOHC-T SOHC-T SOHC-T SOHC-T SOHC-T

chris is right, but dont forget that the SAFCII lets you adjust between +/- 50%, at 200 RPM levels instead of 500 like the old one, also you can save up to 2 different map settings, kinda nice for street and track use, unlike the previous model, data memory will not wipe out when all power from the vehicle is disconnected

got mine from Leo at www.jdmspecperf.com
Old 07-14-2003, 01:20 PM
Site Founder

sung sung sung sung sung sung sung sung sung sung sung

stir, you have a PM.