Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Best Restaurant in Roanoke and surrounding area?

Old 06-19-2010, 05:24 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ntinhri has a spectacular aura aboutntinhri has a spectacular aura about
Default Best Restaurant in Roanoke and surrounding area?

Im still fairly new to the area. I was wonder whats the best Restaurants in our area. Im not a typical Roanoker, I will drive to christensburg or other side of bedford for good grub. Whatcha think?
Old 06-19-2010, 06:02 AM
Banned

DURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Best Restaurant in Roanoke and surrounding area?

Pauls downtown,if you like greek food this is it.Literally everything here is good.The only bad is they close at 2 everyday.

http://roanoke.citysearch.com/profil...estaurant.html
Old 06-19-2010, 08:08 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

What is your definition of good food?

There are dozens of good places in this area, my suggestion is to wander and try them.

Issacs, New Yorker, Bad Wolf, Nawab, and Chaba are some that roll off my head to start with. I am not even going to mention chains, since any idiot knows where they are or can find them at the mall.

Issacs is Mediterranean, have some damn good dishes. New Yorker used to be awesome till the bakery that supplied them was shut down, but they are still pretty damn good. Bring cash cuz thats all they take. Bad Wolf has some pretty damn good BBQ for the area, better than Henry's IMO. Nawab is Indian, plan on lighting the grass on fire when you take a leak after eating there. Chaba is tits for Thai food, their curry duck is fucking sex.

Seafood I would go to on Harbor Inn on Williamson, or Stephens on Franklin Rd. Stephens has gotten more pricey and the quality is a touch off, but still well prepared food. There is Parkers on Peters Creek, but I have never eaten there so I aint sure.

Steaks I would do Frankie Rowlands if money was no object, they have a salad there with candied bacon that I literally nut my pants for. Seriously, its bacon fried with brown sugar on it that is like a fucking bacon lollipop. ZOMG.

419 West is a little over rated IMO, but again, still good food. Just dont expect to eat on the cheap there.

I have never eaten at the Roanoker lol, lived here 28 years and never did. Try it and let me know.

Fork in the Alley is pretty decent, they started a little cookout thing on Thursday nights with Bubblecake that is food and a cake for like 12 bucks, did it the other night and I was amazed at how damn good the hot dog was. None of this Martinsville Speedway red hot dog shit, was a real fucking damn good dog.

You must do a drunken excursion to Texas Tavern, that is a requirement. Chili and some of their thin ass burgers. Fuck yes.

Carlos' is decent if you are trying to get some semi-high class pussy wet, but its got some good food and a beautiful view of SW while ya eat.

Brambleton Deli is great if you wish to perform a full gastric meltdown on yourself, there are some dishes that are good, but most are standard fare for places round here.

Mac n Bobs in Salem is kinda meh IMO, I was not impressed the last two times I ate there. However, quite a few people love it, so try it out and see I reckon.

Christiansburg has Crab Creek for seafood (service is fucking horrible, but the food is pretty damn good) Sals in Blacksburg or Radford has some of the best italian around here, or you can go to Floyd and have Michael Gucciardo's dishes once again at Mickey G's (was owner/chef at Nico's on the market, chef at "witness security pizza" (Mountain View Pizza), Sals in both Radford and Fairlawn.

The Homeplace is great to go if you want a home style meal, bring a few buddies for a nice trip up 311 and prepare to gorge yourself.

Macados is always good for a quick sammich or some nachos, but their actual food kinda sucks. Except the macncheese, its tits.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo

Downtown on the market there is a BBQ place, called Blues BBQ and they have the best BBQ I have ever ate. The New Yorker has great subs even though they have went a little down hill. If you are into Japanese then Kabuki and Ichiban and really good to. Don't forget Richy freeze or Texas Tavern!!

Edit: Homeplace is VERY good to!
Old 06-19-2010, 09:18 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

IMO, best steaks in Roanoke are found at Carlos' and Frankie Rowlands. I used to love The Ye Ole English Inn but they're long gone.

Cheap, but good BBQ? Pit Boss all the way. Cooler atmosphere BBQ? Blues BBQ. They have a fucking bourbon club!

Best Mexican food? Alejandro's. There are two locations--one in North Roanoke off of Peters Creek and Williamson, and of course the one downtown. If you're in the lake area, I also suggest hitting Crazy Horse Marina up. It's essentially just like any other chain Mexican restaurant in Roanoke but it's waterfront and the guys that work there are great. They keep a relatively uncommon type of tequila in stock for us at all times, and they have the best half price giant fishbowl margarita's (I think they're $3.50 on Wednesdays.. lots of tequila!)

The Homeplace. Well, there's nothing else that compares in or around Roanoke as far as I'm concerned. You're going to have to loosen the old belt up when you get done eating there.

Fork In The Alley has an awesome outdoor atmosphere. Awesome low key spot for a warm summer night! They have amazing quesadilla's and brick oven pizza's!

Gracie's Pizza was, hands down, one of the best pizza's I've ever had in Roanoke! Again, cool low key atmosphere like most of the Grandin area. Don't get me wrong--I love New York Pizza as much as if not more than anyone else, but Gracie's is on another level.

Benjamin's at Mariners Landing... Great view, great food, nice atmosphere. Again, waterfront eating. Dock up if you have a boat, or drive there and make sure you sit outside if the weather's nice. Ridiculously good quesadilla's like no one else around here does. They also have Landshark on tap, so that was a plus. A friend ordered Patron and the girl gave him a shooter glass full of Patron Silver--so be sure to specify if you're having a drink that you're not trying to sip tequila all afternoon.

I still like to hit up Jersey Lily's sometimes for chicken fingers and fries. I miss how they used to have biscuits and apple butter.

Wasabi's downtown in the market area if you like sushi or tempora. Cool atmosphere, and good food.

I'll update as I think of more. I know I'm missing a lot.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:28 AM
Nada

str8jakett will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by HatefulMechanic
Christiansburg has Crab Creek for seafood (service is fucking horrible, but the food is pretty damn good)
This place is really that good? It looks like a shithole and always seems to be dead but it had me wondering because it has been open longer than anything else at that location since Sals.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:42 AM
Registered Member

ntinhri has a spectacular aura aboutntinhri has a spectacular aura about

Damn Thanks! We have been sticking to the chains other that NY pizza in Vinton. Thanks for your reviews.. I will be tring some of the places talked about!

BTW we did try Roanoker- its ok, wont really go back.

We also tried Cafe Asia- I love this place, Food is top notch and owner is super nice guy! Service is A+

Last edited by ntinhri; 06-19-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:26 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Bluebird Bakery & Grill in Moneta is great too. Friends with the family that owns it, and all bias aside, it's a great place to eat breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:44 AM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

HatefulMechanic is dead on.My list would just about match his exactly,except I'd have to add Luigi's right at the top.It's been unbelievable every time I've eaten there.

Cafe Asia is also great.It's relatively new,but IMO the best Chinese and by far best sushi in the area.

Chris
Old 06-19-2010, 07:49 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by TNGChris
HatefulMechanic is dead on.My list would just about match his exactly,except I'd have to add Luigi's right at the top.It's been unbelievable every time I've eaten there.

Cafe Asia is also great.It's relatively new,but IMO the best Chinese and by far best sushi in the area.

Chris

My fat ass needs to get to Luigis, seems like every time I mention it to the clam she wants to go to Chaba.

Originally Posted by str8jakett
This place is really that good? It looks like a shithole and always seems to be dead but it had me wondering because it has been open longer than anything else at that location since Sals.
Yep. Elijah and I were talking about it the other day, he said the same thing I did. Took forever to get served, dont expect to get a refill any time remotely soon, and its just plain horrid service. But, the food is spot on. When someone knows how to cook a scallop properly, I will put up with a lot of bullshit.

I was in Bristol today for qualifying, and we stopped at a japanese steakhouse called Kobe. I figured it would be hard to fuck up a pretty common business model, however, I was wrong. I nearly gagged when I tried to eat the scallops I got, they were slimy and soft. Yes, marshmallows of the sea are gonna be soft, but if they are seared just right, OMG its fucking sexual.

Quick Reply: Best Restaurant in Roanoke and surrounding area?