Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Anyone know anybody that is hiring?

Old 07-26-2010, 05:24 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo
Default Anyone know anybody that is hiring?

Okay, so I'm going on about a year now without a consistent paycheck, and I'm getting desperate. So, if anyone can point me in the direction of a decent job, you would receive my eternal gratitude.

What I do:

I've been a graphic designer for 21 years, and a freelance web designer for 10 years. I've been in the printing industry for most of my life, but have also worked in the sign industry designing, fabricating, and installing signs, vehicle graphics, etc.

I've been scouring the various job sites (jobs.roanoke.com, indeed, monster, careerbuilder, etc.) for months. In the past few months I've applied for more than 30 jobs, but have yet to receive a single interview.

The main problem I'm having is that I don't have a degree. I started working right out of high school. I'm back in school now, but it will be another couple years before I complete my degree. Unfortunately, businesses these days value a piece of paper much more than they do experience.

So, if anyone knows of anything that would be anywhere close to what I'm looking for, please let me know. I don't mind driving an hour or so to a job.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:52 AM
EDM|Mugen|MK3 CRX

.Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge.
Default Re: Anyone know anybody that is hiring?

Do we look like a magic 8ball or something?

Mcdonalds is hiring.

Get manager experiance.

Move up.

?????

Profit.

Good luck.

Or......

Go to school and get that peice of paper that everyone is looking for. Without full time work and being a bit older you should have no trouble knocking something out in a year and a half that should land you a decent job anywhere with the amount of experiance you say you have.

Last edited by .Sarge.; 07-26-2010 at 05:54 AM. Reason: because I figured I'd be a little more of an asshole than before..
Old 07-26-2010, 06:05 AM
Registered Member

I have management experience. I have been the head of the prepress department for about 15 years.

I'm going to school, but the problem I'm running into there is that they don't always offer the classes I need to take every semester. For instance, I had to take the summer off because the only classes they were offering were classes I had already taken. I'm taking one class starting next month, and that's the only one they are offering. They are kind of screwing me around, but not much I can do about that. And when I'm done it will only be an Associate's degree. Still another two years after that for a Bachelor's degree, which is what most companies require.

It's looking more and more like fast food may be in my future...
Old 07-26-2010, 06:11 AM
Classified Moderator

Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby

No one is hiring at any Kinko's/ UPS stores/Office Max printing ? Local printing/signage locations?
Old 07-26-2010, 06:13 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Fobby
No one is hiring at any Kinko's/ UPS stores/Office Max printing ? Local printing/signage locations?
Office Max and Kinko's - no. Already checked.

Local print/sign shops - none so far. Couldn't find any job listings online, but have sent resumes to all the companies I could find.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:25 AM
Zerofucksgiven

Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello

Go to Express...
Ask to go to Dynax...
Work in shit hole...
???
Make little profit.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:30 AM

MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN

May have to go outside the box while you finish your degree. Go to Verizon or somewhere like that and get trained in customer service. Or if it gets bad enough, look into something retail. Maybe a store you like at the mall or something? none I would consider a future, but great for holding you over
Old 07-26-2010, 06:36 AM
Registered Member

Yeah. Obviously I'd like to go into a field that I'm familiar with, but at this point I'm grasping at straws. Hard to take as much of a pay cut that I'd have to take at a mall job, but I guess any pay is better than no pay...
Old 07-26-2010, 06:37 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

I have an idea, but I don't want to get your hopes up. My friend works at a shop on 604 next to where Teaberry's was or may still be... I'll ask her if they're looking for someone with experience. If it helps, do you want me to tell her you have sex with men for money?
Old 07-26-2010, 06:41 AM
EDM|Mugen|MK3 CRX

.Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge.

Originally Posted by Cosmo
Yeah. Obviously I'd like to go into a field that I'm familiar with, but at this point I'm grasping at straws. Hard to take as much of a pay cut that I'd have to take at a mall job, but I guess any pay is better than no pay...
Exactly. :/ sad economy we live in.

Quick Reply: Anyone know anybody that is hiring?