Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Anyone here with tranny exp willing to help?

Old 07-08-2004, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
elementalwindx has disabled reputation
Default Anyone here with tranny exp willing to help?

I'm afraid it's come to the point that using gm syncromesh and penzoil syncromesh fluids will no longer help my failing tranny. I am on the border of losing my third gear, with it grinding even during normal driving and shifting. It will even grind at low 2k rpm's. I have to wait like 1 to 2 seconds after getting out of second, and then going into 3rd. Also my reverse is grinding too. So my syncros are pretty much gone. Are there any people here that know me, and possibily don't know me but know others like philip or marie or clay or garan that know me, that might be willing to help me take out my tranny, take it appart, and replace the syncros in it? The only guy I know and trust with my car to take it appart with me wants me to pay him $500 to do the work even when I'm helping, and unfortunately I can barely come up with the cash for the parts. I'm going to try to plan a trip sometime between aug 4th - 18th to come to Roanoke when there are no classes. Hopfully I can find someone willing to help that isn't looking for half a grand. It sucks how much people hate 2nd gen eclipses. I'll try to offer what I can for $$ but I wont know how much I'll have till after I get the parts and the time comes to VA.

For those of you wondering if I was coming this weekend. Like I stated above, cash flow is short so I cannot come Spent most of it on my 21st bday in myrtle beach at the paul oakenfold concert !!!

Last edited by elementalwindx; 07-08-2004 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:08 PM
Ivy Tadita

cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone here with tranny exp willing to help?

dammit dude... you went to see paul oakenfold and did not invite me? I would have loved to hear some zoo york live. Anyways... in all honesty it would be cheaper to check dsmtrader and just get another tranny as opposed to rebuilding it. You can use find 7 bolt transmissions fairly cheap.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:08 PM

i'd love to believe i could find something worthy on there but everything my friend has bought as been a rip off on that place.

He bought a "whole" 92 tranny for like $400 and it physically had no 2nd gear, he bought a act 2600 set for like 100$ and it was gone after two weeks. sooooo yeaa...
Old 07-08-2004, 06:15 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

you ever done one?

you have a press?

new bearings, seals, and blocker rings for the synchros? its not an undertaking you want to do if its your first time, but if you want to, good luck! i am always for someone wanting to learn more on their car, but in this case, it will be better (IMO) for you to find a decent used tranny (wrecking yard or a GOOD online parts forum) i now you can find a dogbox setup for a GSX for 1800ish....so good finds may take some looking, but you should find one.

because if you do rebuild it, and it fucks up, you will have to replace all that shit again.....you need to not look at what it costs in the inital outset, but look at the long term (if that is a term that DSM'ers use )

if i can, i will try to check with some local wrecking yards and see what they have. you tried calling IAR in salem? or Old Dominion?
Old 07-08-2004, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by fc735
you ever done one?

you have a press?

new bearings, seals, and blocker rings for the synchros? its not an undertaking you want to do if its your first time, but if you want to, good luck! i am always for someone wanting to learn more on their car, but in this case, it will be better (IMO) for you to find a decent used tranny (wrecking yard or a GOOD online parts forum) i now you can find a dogbox setup for a GSX for 1800ish....so good finds may take some looking, but you should find one.

because if you do rebuild it, and it fucks up, you will have to replace all that shit again.....you need to not look at what it costs in the inital outset, but look at the long term (if that is a term that DSM'ers use )

if i can, i will try to check with some local wrecking yards and see what they have. you tried calling IAR in salem? or Old Dominion?
Thats why I was asking for anyone whos willing with tranny experience, and I guess I forgot to include "and has the equipment needed".

I've taken the bell housing appart from a 90' awd tranny. thats as far as i've gone. my friend did the rest in front of me.

at shep for close to 900$ + shipping I can have mine rebuilt

tre sells brand new ones for like $2400 w/ free shipping.

I'm trying to spend right at $1,000 or less. I dont plan on taking this DSM past 400whp.

and I've never heard of those junk yards before. the one's here really suck, but then again I live on a red neck beach with nothin but broncos and escalades and explorers and crap ass land rovers that I always see stuck getting towed out lol.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:43 PM
'bout time

VTFORDLADY is an unknown quantity at this point

call Import Auto.....i believe that's where he was talking about....

good luck...
Old 07-09-2004, 03:51 PM

ok now this is weird, today my tranny shifts like butter...the day of this post I had changed my tranny fluid, it had like 10,000 miles on it. but it was like 80$ worth of that GM syncromesh stuff. im never spending that much $$ on tranny fluid ever again. now im using penzoil syncromesh. Seems to work better and only cost $20.

Oh and my TPS sensor still keeps messin with my idle ONLY WHEN MY CAR IS HOT. It's funny I can go WOT and then let off and drive normal and feel my throttle sticking open and see the o2 guage staying on max green as if i was WOT...but my car is not hauling ass.

Last edited by elementalwindx; 07-09-2004 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:20 PM
wtb scoobie snacks

musicmaniac is on a distinguished road

i remember seeing a copper 2g gst @ import auto long time ago, perhaps u could also try ebay? or car-parts.com or is it car-part.com i cant remember o well good luck with that
Old 07-10-2004, 06:33 AM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

Hey, I just got done tearing down my tranny, with the help of a pretty experienced guy from tech.. My reverse would not engage.. we finished taking it out and taking apart the tranny in one night, we just have to put it back in today..

All we had to do was 5th/reverse, which is at the very top of the main shaft..

are you grinding much in other gears? check your master/slave cylinder.. might be low on fluid..

Yea I use penzoil synchromesh, I heard it was the same as the GM stuff, just rebadged.. only penzoil product I will ever use.. haha
Old 07-10-2004, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by GaRn
Hey, I just got done tearing down my tranny, with the help of a pretty experienced guy from tech.. My reverse would not engage.. we finished taking it out and taking apart the tranny in one night, we just have to put it back in today..

All we had to do was 5th/reverse, which is at the very top of the main shaft..

are you grinding much in other gears? check your master/slave cylinder.. might be low on fluid..

Yea I use penzoil synchromesh, I heard it was the same as the GM stuff, just rebadged.. only penzoil product I will ever use.. haha
yea I heard that too but I think one is a slightly diff color. like the gm is more greenish while the penzoil is more brownish. i cant quite remember.

but anyways penzoil seems to work better. i only grind in 3rd and rev.