Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Any interest in a private track day at VIR this winter?

Old 10-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris
Default Any interest in a private track day at VIR this winter?

I wanted to look into this last year,but never got too serious about it.
VIR,I'm assuming due to the bad economy and lack of events in the winter time,is doing one day private track rental deals.They allow up to six cars at a time on track,and safety crews are included.Price for full course is $4200,but that includes lodging and meals.If there is enough interest to look further into it,I'll get a price minus the hotel rooms and meals to possibly get a better rate.The Sleep Inn is 10 minutes away(or drive down the morning of and not have to pay for a hotel)at $79 a night,and I can bring a grille and everybody bring their own food for lunch.

I'd like to say that this would be primarily for people with previous track(or at minimum autocross experience)experience,as there won't be any instruction or corner workers,and this isn't the kind of place to just set somebody free who has no prior experience.I'd be willing to do some ride-alongs if we can get at least a couple other people too so that we could possibly include some newbs.At the same time,this is an opportunity to hang out with friends and enjoy the track,so I'm sure not many people want to spend most of their off-track time instructing for free

As I said above,they only allow six cars at a time on track,and I think that having a max of 12 cars would be perfect,as we could have two run groups,and it would keep the price reasonable at around $350 a person.I know that's more than an average track day costs,but keep in mind you usually get at most two hours track time per day,and here you'll have at minimum 3.5 hours of track time,and probably much more.Not to mention you'll never do a trackday with only a max of five other cars on track,and the ability to basically go out whenever you want.I'm willing to pay up to $500 a person with a smaller group,but that'd be my cutoff as far as price.

This would be something where we'd have to set a deadline for interested people so we could get a pretty solid per-person price,then a deadline to pay.Basically,you'd have to pay upfront,as I'm not willing to front the cost of the track only to have people back out and never pay me back.If there are any spots left and somebody wanted to buy in after that point,everybody would get the difference in money back as the per-person price goes down. After the payments are secured,we'd have to vote on the available dates as far as which one we want,and then I'd make the reservation.

More info:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9964747/Wint...Package911.pdf

*EDIT*
Rough list of interested people:
When replying,please list what day of the week/month/even a specific date you'd like to do this.

1-Me.............................Grip......Weekday
2-Nisbro........................Drift......?
3-Sarge.........................Grip......any day
4-BSeriesTurblow...........Grip.......?
5-Sam..........................Grip.......Sunday
6-Woo..........................G/D.......Any day
7-Bishop.......................Grip.......Any day
8-Johnny508.................Grip.......Weekday
9-Pieisgude...................G/D.......?

Last edited by TNGChris; 10-14-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:20 PM
SAY IT WITCHA CHEST!

The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro
Default Re: Any interest in a private track day at VIR this winter?

Im assuming there would be no drifting allowed?
Old 10-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Originally Posted by The Nisbro
Im assuming there would be no drifting allowed?
I'm not opposed to that at all.Of course,you'd have to separate that from the other cars.Ideally,if we had say five drift cars,and five "grip" cars we could alternate.However it works out,I'm sure we can do something.I guess we can see how the interest goes,as far as who's interested in what.
My only two concerns are that VIR Full isn't the best drift track,as a lot of it is really high speed and not drift friendly.The Patriot Course would be perfect,but that's a whole other rental(but as far as that goes,renting the Patriot Course is $1926,so that'd be a good option to get a dedicated drift day going).Aslo,I'm not sure how the staff would feel about people drifting if there start to be a lot of offs and general tomfoolery

I'm not trying to get too deep into this,but it'd be rad to rent the Full Course and Patriot Course the same day and everybody just hang out and have a good time doing both/either.

Last edited by TNGChris; 10-12-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:12 PM
SAY IT WITCHA CHEST!

The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro

Patriot course is where its at! Maybe we can look into patriot course for the same day or something.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:16 PM
EDM|Mugen|MK3 CRX

.Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge.

In, Saw that on facebook today and it got me thinking too. I know several people that would be interested. Sam and his M5 for one if we could do it on a sunday.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Go Team Marlboro

BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo

I could potentially make it happen. Maybe I'll bring the bmw and gripdrift lmao
Old 10-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by The Nisbro
Patriot course is where its at! Maybe we can look into patriot course for the same day or something.
Yeah,Patriot Course is a much better deal.You could get together a few people to drift,and cost less than $200 per person.

Originally Posted by .Sarge.
In, Saw that on facebook today and it got me thinking too. I know several people that would be interested. Sam and his M5 for one if we could do it on a sunday.
Originally Posted by BSeriesTurbo
I could potentially make it happen. Maybe I'll bring the bmw and gripdrift lmao
I'll edit the original post to show a list of interested people.

I've also got 2-4 people who I'm sure would be interested in this.
Something else to consider,depending on how many serious people there are and how much everybody's willing to spend is to do a different course for a cheaper price.Patriot is perfect for drifting,but not a lot of fun otherwise.If all else fails though,it would be much cheaper and better than nothing.A good compromise would be the North Course.Obviously,the Grand Course would be amazing,but I didn't even consider it based on the high price.

And one last thing:It's 99% likely to be COLD.Their policy is basically as long as the track doesn't have frozen precipitation collecting on it,the event goes on.If it's raining/sleeting/10 below zero/etc they don't refund our money.Unless snow and/or ice is collecting on the track you don't get a raincheck or refund.I've been to one event that was snowed out,and the chances of having weather that severe in Danville is very unlikely.But,just keep in mind what time of year this will be,and it most certainly be pretty cold.

Last edited by TNGChris; 10-12-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:01 PM
EDM|Mugen|MK3 CRX

.Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge.

I'm good pretty much any day as long as I have enough advanced notice...

Sam is only off on sunday (talked to him a bit last night when stopping by Formosa) so thats his preference if possible. I also want to see if Micah is interested and a couple of the other guys who normally stick to bent mountain.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by .Sarge.
I'm good pretty much any day as long as I have enough advanced notice...

Sam is only off on sunday (talked to him a bit last night when stopping by Formosa) so thats his preference if possible. I also want to see if Micah is interested and a couple of the other guys who normally stick to bent mountain.
Sounds good.I'll update the list.
Just keep in mind as far as the mountain guys go,that this is serious business,haha.....Most importantly,we don't want anybody to get hurt,but we also don't want to lose track time due to crash clean-up/tow ins.We need to make sure anybody who doesn't normally do track stuff understands that.The track rental will be in my name,so by default I'd be obligated to handle any,for lack of a better term,situations.My vision of this is a bunch of friends getting together to hang out and have fun.Definitely don't want any backroad racers ruining it.
I think anybody will agree that the last thing anybody needs to be doing is getting their first on track experience by going out by themselves and having the freedom to be a complete idiot.There are several places at VIR that will bite you bigtime and tear up a lot of stuff,and all it takes is a little too much confidence or ignorance to fuck up in a huge way.As I said above,I'm willing to help some newcomers,but getting a few minutes of ride-alongs in no way prepares somebody to be turned loose.I really think anybody should do a real HPDE with an instructor in the car the whole time before doing something like this.

Last edited by TNGChris; 10-12-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:31 PM
EDM|Mugen|MK3 CRX

I agree 100%, driving on a track is totally different than the street and anyone without track time shouldn't participate unless they change that prior to the date we run.

Quick Reply: Any interest in a private track day at VIR this winter?