Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Alignment for lowered cars and powercoating?

Old 07-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo
Default Re: Alignment for lowered cars and powercoating?

Mine wasn't slammed. It was lowered though. Drove it for 3+ years afterwards with no issues.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:47 PM
Football Junkie

N3VRMOR52 has disabled reputation

I used to be lowered 2 1/2 on coilovers and I always went to National Alignment (563-0481) on Plantation Road. Never had a problem with them, very nice people.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:40 AM
EDM|Mugen|MK3 CRX

.Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge.

Originally Posted by The Nisbro
NO!

they are completely inaccurate in their alignments. You can give them alignment specs, and they will get it all wrong. do yourself a favor and go somewhere that has a laser alignment machine.
Sadly I gotta agree. :/ I had used them several times but they still have a old school way of thought. and you cannot be as accurate with how the allign it over a pit than with a computer. Thrust angle if it is off is hard to correct since they dont have a easy way of doing 4 wheels at once.

I've gone to Protocol in Floyd since they have the in ground computer alignment rack. Consistantly awesome things come out of that shop. Including a revised exhaust and aero work for my car here soon once these damn bills go away.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:48 PM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Originally Posted by The Nisbro
NO!

they are completely inaccurate in their alignments. You can give them alignment specs, and they will get it all wrong. do yourself a favor and go somewhere that has a laser alignment machine.
I've got to agree.We send plenty of trucks there,and we've never had any complaints,but a front-end only alignment on a truck with huge tires that even in the best conditions drives horribly is a far cry from an IRS car.As said above,it's very hard to get thrust angle correct with conventional tools(that's why I still need a base alignment before I modify the specs).
Firestone Tanglewood would be the place I'd go.They have the latest machine and guys that know how to use it.You do have to get the car onto a ramp,but they've gotten many very low cars on there no problem,ranging from my crap to a friend's hammered E46 M3 and full track C6 Vette.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:07 AM
Bewst!!!

4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED

Thanks for the info guys. how much does he charge at Tanglewood?
Old 02-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Bewst!!!

4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED

bumping...just ordered new rear shocks for my coils and a set of adjustable rear camber arms, and I need to get the car properly aligned with a little bit of negative rear camber for my wheels to clear the fender. Do you guys still recommend the guy at Firestone tanglewood, and if so, how much does he charge?

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer

Try giving them a call and let them know what you need. That's probably the most accurate estimate you can get.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:35 PM
BATTLESTAGS

TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo

Protocol Automotive in Floyd for alignment. He has a super low setup.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Originally Posted by 4CED-FED
bumping...just ordered new rear shocks for my coils and a set of adjustable rear camber arms, and I need to get the car properly aligned with a little bit of negative rear camber for my wheels to clear the fender. Do you guys still recommend the guy at Firestone tanglewood, and if so, how much does he charge?

Thanks!
Yes,that's still a great place to go.They have a set price on either a one-time or lifetime alignement,but I forget what they prices currently are.Call over there and ask for Scott.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Bewst!!!

I definitely will, thanks guys. So I will have adjustable rear camber...I don't know exactly how much negative camber that I will need to clear my rear wheels (won't be super ridiculous, but I rub ever so slightly right now on the very outside edge, all it does is take the dirt off the tire, don't cut the tread), so will they be able to set it to whatever I need for the wheel to clear the fender? Do they have a way of messing with the the camber arms to get to a point where my wheels will not rub anymore, or is this something I will have to do on my own? Forgive my noobness on this...I've never messed with camber and such before. On my previous car I only had a camber correction kit installed - didn't go with adjustable camber. Any info is appreciated.

Quick Reply: Alignment for lowered cars and powercoating?