Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

24 Hours of Lemons: Team Western

Old 02-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Atlas is dead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Voodoo Voodoo Voodoo Voodoo Voodoo Voodoo Voodoo Voodoo Voodoo Voodoo Voodoo
Default 24 Hours of Lemons: Team Western

So I saw the other thread about this, and it got me thinking: why doesn't western put together a team/crew of guys (or girls, i guess) to participate in this race... I've already talked to Casey, and while it is a long time away (September), he seems down... We can figure out all the financials and car choice stuff once we can actually get interested people who will participate/help... Seems like it would be extremely fun and a once in a lifetime experience...

Check out their site and view all the FAQs: http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/

edit: after doing some simple maths (keyword is simple), it would probably come out to roughly $700 per person, if we split everything down the middle...

Last edited by Voodoo; 02-23-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:00 AM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris
Default Re: 24 Hours of Lemons: Team Western

We'll be doing at least a couple Lemons or Chump events this year.....The one thing I've learned is that the costs go way up,moreso than expected.Is that $700/person just for the fees?Once you factor in tires and other consumables,the car itself and associated mods(that $500 thing is a joke),it all adds up.
At the 24 hour Chump race at VIR last year,we used almost 200 gallons of gas!Also factor in three sets of tires(and wheels,of course),three sets of brake pads....I think I figured that the average race costs about $4,000 or so in consumables,plus entry fees and the cost of buying and preparing the car itself.Even if you do buy an actual $500 car(which is rare),figure it'll be in a pretty bad state is disrepair.At least a few hundred dollars in tune-up and replacement parts(nothing sucks worse than putting in all that time and money to end up breaking at the race.We basically have a brand new car now,and something will still find a way to break),plus any cheater suspension/engine parts,at minimum probably $1,000 in safety equipment(seat,roll cage,etc).
You can get more and more people to divide the costs more,but about five people is the most you'd want so that everybody gets a decent amount of seat time.

That being said,it's the most fun I've ever had!If you can get a group of people to split up the initial cost of the car,and commit to doing at least a few races to recoup some of that cost,it's not that bad.Choosing a car that's easy on tires and brakes helps too(our choice of a V8 Monte Carlo may not have been the best),as well as deciding if you want to compete to win or just go out and have fun,allowing you to use less expensive car/tires/etc.
Chris

Last edited by TNGChris; 02-24-2011 at 04:07 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:29 AM
BATTLESTAGS

TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo

I would love to do one.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:45 AM
I <3 2JZ

Spooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like fun, who wants to donate their car?